VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

What to look 4 when evaluating a 66 G10 to buy?

What to look 4 when evaluating a 66 G10 to buy? Empty What to look 4 when evaluating a 66 G10 to buy?

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:31 pm

I'm going to buy a 66 G10 sight unseen, except for pictures. What should I be looking for on this van. You all have worked on and seen these vans for years. What's the key areas that are common problems with this model. I'm a novice so dumb it down for me.

Im guessing there's tire kicking checks, driving evaluation, engine sound evaluation, certain spots that should be oily, some spots that should not, certain parts that are easy to replace if broken or gone, some that are impossible or rediculously expensive to replace, etc.

I'm pretty desparate. I got a one way flight to this place cuz I'm fairly confident, and pretty comfortable with the prospect of a bit of work needed. I just need some nightmare Lemmon blind side sink hole scam ammo.

Any help would be much appreciated I fly down on
    the 5th. HELP!!

Heavy
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

What to look 4 when evaluating a 66 G10 to buy? Empty Re: What to look 4 when evaluating a 66 G10 to buy?

Post by wacko Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:53 pm

You will want to check the rain gutters, around the windsheild and inside under the dash for rust or signs of leaking. Also the around the gas filler (mind is blank on what its actually called) check from the inside of the van for rust in this area.

I am sure more folks will chime in soon. Welcome to the site.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

What to look 4 when evaluating a 66 G10 to buy? Empty Re: What to look 4 when evaluating a 66 G10 to buy?

Post by savage Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:54 am

Where are you getting the van from?? That would help on where to look for rust, or other problems?? Check the front floors, rockers, rear corners , bottom of (all) doors , rear floor, inside & outside of gas filler , lower door post by floor, rear spring mounts, roof for damage. Just to name a few
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:36 am

Heavy,
    Lots to check. This van looks to have lots of carpet. Having it on the walls can hide damage. If it has carpet on the floors look under it. Carpet on the floors in these vans causes rust to form very quickly. And like Wacko said, check all around the windows, rain gutters and running boards. Crawl under it and check out everything (U-joints, shaft bearing, seals, major leaks and anything "Bent" or "Jimmy Rigged") since you are planning on driving it back I would stop at the first Lube place and have whatever they can do for you done. Check the anti-freeze look for oil. During the test drive find a good hill if you can and stop halfway and then accurate fast from a stop (Clutch test). Made sure you get it nice and "HOT" and then keep it running for awhile to ensure it doesn't over heat. That would suck half way home!! Listen for bearing noise and popping when you turn this may alert you to possible bearing or tie rod issues and a couple of good brake tests would not be a bad idea. And if you are flying down I would bring or buy some basic tools just in case. Also check the wiring under the dash (Fuse box), as well as engine and battery wiring. The tires look pretty good but check them out to. For that price I really believe the radio and speakers should be included but that's just me. It will be a 1,760 km trip back home for you and music would really help on the trip. Hope it doesn't rain!! Remember this van does not have wipers! Or even wiper arms!!!! Clearly at some point you will be driving in the dark so make sure all the lights not just work but work correctly. Would suck to get pulled over just across the border! Well, Heavy that's it off the top of my head. The van from what I can see in all the pictures looks to be a very nice van. Congrats on you find but check it out good and I wish you a safe trip. Be safe and let us know how it goes. We all will expect lots of pic's when you get back.
    cheers

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

What to look 4 when evaluating a 66 G10 to buy? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651

Post by Scott Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:59 am

On mine most of the floor rust was where the drivers and front passengers feet rest. Along that edge where the floor goes from being flat to angling up to the front wall.

My Blazer wipers wouldn’t work half the time, so we kept Rain-X on the windows. There were times that I didn’t even bother with the wipers because the Rain-X worked so well, it just doesn’t help in a downpour.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:30 am

Heavy,congrats on your van,and Welcome to the board.The posts above cover quite a bit.My thoughts were your return trip.Wouldt hurt to get some coolant,oil,maybe a belt,and some rainex before you head out.Hate to know you got stuck in middle of now where with nothing to fix problems .Don't forget duct tape! lol
    Havea good trip !

Post by Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:46 am

Heavy,
    I'm assuming you're coming from Toronto? Where are you picking up the van? You might want to plan your return trip home based on locations of vanners from this site in case you break down. I have flown from Cleveland, Ohio to Los Angeles twice to pick up two vans and drove them home (2500 miles each time). I know your position very well. Good luck on your trip!

Post by Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:20 am

NICE !! Keep it comming. Your flip suggestions are my orthodox bible. I"ll be sitting in the plane bobbing and mumbling to your words. lol.

Ok. I was trying to be vague about which van, because I didn't want to jinx it, but the guy has assured me he is warding off other calls and holding it for me.

So ya. This is the one.

http://sd.craigslist.org/cto/1132275686.html

I have every intention of modeling it after my favorite van, Billski's:

http://vintage-vans.smugmug.com/gallery/1387760/1/68007281

Although the engine change won't happen for a while. I would love to have a sic Monster V8 in this van, but it's a project for later when the recession debt fades a bit.

Thank you so very much for your help so far. Rust check is certainly on the list. I'll be bringing a small magnet to do a bondo check. But more important for me is to know which parts are the most ridiculously hard to find, impossibly expensive to buy, etc.

By the way. I will be doing roll pans like Billski's within the next year or so, so if anyone wants my bumpers. let me know.

Cheers, and keep it comming.

Heavy
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423

Post by wacko Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:58 am

Hard to find parts include sway bars and Belly pans
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:04 am

Heavy,
    I knew which one it was. Of course you probably figured that since I gave you the mileage from the van's location back to your house...... Best of luck and I would love the bumpers but your way to far from me....

Be safe,
    Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

What to look 4 when evaluating a 66 G10 to buy? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2009 1:12 pm

Heavy, I think you found a nice van. Be patient and the parts you need will surface eventually. If you really do get rid of those bumpers, they look nice and may pay for the cost of the parts you don't have. Good luck and drive safe!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content