VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Engine crossmember

JarredBK
    JarredBK

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2014-10-29

Engine crossmember Empty Engine crossmember

Post by JarredBK Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:01 pm

Does anyone have a link to someone that fabricates engine crossmembers?i have a 64 and blew the engine and also one of the sheet metal engine mounts. I'm currently dropping in a built 200-6 but I need a later style 170 crossmember for the last piece of the puzzle. So if anyone has a 170 crossmember or know someone who fabricates the please pass me the info it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2013-09-12

Engine crossmember Empty Re: Engine crossmember

Post by AZ SuperVan Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:34 pm

I have one coming out of my '65 but I won't be able to pull it unitl we get a break from the 110 degree plus weather. If you are no in a hurry...
    JarredBK
    JarredBK

Post by JarredBK Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:12 am

Pm sent
    Das Boot
    Das Boot

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2013-01-29

Post by Das Boot Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:46 pm

I think Tim has one (or many). I was by there a month ago and remember seeing at least one that hasn't been modified for a V8. Give him a shout.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:19 pm

Hey Jarred, just put the 200 in there. It's a straight drop in. I have both sheet metal hangers, if you need one b/c one of yours is goober'd, I'll mail it for shipping + $5.

If you get a crossmember you'll have to cut the spot welds and remove the current frame mounts and weld them in forward of their current position. Although the mounts are the same they are installed aft of the 65 and later position. You'll also have to find or fabricate in place(best) another pair of mounts on the outboard sides of the frames for the crossmember.

Much easier to use the sheet metal mounts for the 200. The motors are virtually identical. The only fear would be more power/torque, but for a stock motor I wouldn't worry about it to much. In good shape with the oem mounting they are pretty secure.
    JarredBK
    JarredBK

Post by JarredBK Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:45 am

Thanks for all the replys and help. Have a crossmember on the way through Tim at econoparts. Also got a few tips from Vic about mounting it. Hope to be back on the road soon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:30 am