VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
pittsdriver
Big W
diamond dave
rustytoolss
dix
Joe Miller
10 posters

Which configuration of the Dodge A van for roadtripping?

Joe Miller
    Joe Miller

Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2015-02-05

Which configuration of the Dodge A van for roadtripping? Empty Which configuration of the Dodge A van for roadtripping?

Post by Joe Miller Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:56 am

Hello everybody,

I'm new here, and so far I'm really digging the site. I just wanted to get some opinions.. If you were to have an A-van to drive heavily, and basically live in, what would it be? The standard A-100? Longer A-108 wheelbase? Slant 6 225? 318 V8? Manual or automatic?

I've been pondering this for a while.. I don't currently own a Dodge van but I've found one I really like. It's a 108 in really nice shape, 318 auto. I figured with reliability, economy, and comfort in mind, a 108 equipped with a /6 manual would be my best bet. So I'm not sure whether or not to pull the trigger and get this van, even though it doesn't meet my idea of the perfect configuration.

What do you guys think? Is the 318 comparable with the /6 in reliability? Economy?

Remember.. driving long distances.. highway speeds. I know this could be a whole new topic, but, say I did get this 108 with the 318 auto, any immediate modifications I would be better off doing?

Any input is much appreciated, interested to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks,

Joe
    Joe Miller
    Joe Miller

Which configuration of the Dodge A van for roadtripping? Empty Re: Which configuration of the Dodge A van for roadtripping?

Post by Joe Miller Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:23 pm

Here are a few pictures of the van I'm considering. Thanks.

Which configuration of the Dodge A van for roadtripping? <a href=Which configuration of the Dodge A van for roadtripping? 00j0j_11" />

Which configuration of the Dodge A van for roadtripping? <a href=Which configuration of the Dodge A van for roadtripping? 00w0w_10" />

Which configuration of the Dodge A van for roadtripping? <a href=Which configuration of the Dodge A van for roadtripping? 00h0h_10" />
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Which configuration of the Dodge A van for roadtripping? Empty Re: Which configuration of the Dodge A van for roadtripping?

Post by dix Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:52 pm

great looking van. Don't think you can find a nother that nice,
    the 318 auto is my choice, the 318 is like a tank, but so is the 225/6
    if you are going to sleep in it i'd also say the 108. the one your showing looks perfect
    for your new mission,

Post by Joe Miller Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:11 pm

Thanks for the reply! 108 is pretty much a must, and since it was introduced around the same time as the 318, an A-108 with the /6 seems a little rare as far as I can tell.

I'm going to look at her tomorrow. It's a 7 hour drive (IN to NC). I agree that one in comparable condition would be tough to match, in the rust belt at least.

She has two issues though:

Has a small hole on the top of the radiator about 3" from the cap. Not a huge issue though, should be an easy fix.

It is missing the radiator air scoop from underneath apparently (if anyone has info on this let me know) I guess on these vans there is a curved sheet of metal underneath to filter the air into the radiator. Is that correct? I've never actually been around an A 100 yet.

Seller seems honest and down to Earth. According to him, although it is running strong, it would need those two issues addressed before driving any distance, so she'd have to be hauled.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:58 pm

the belly pans pop up on e-bay often enough

Post by Joe Miller Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:22 pm

Going to check her out tomorrow. Anything I should give special attention?

On a side note, I don't like talking about money, but you guys probably have a better idea of the value than I do. It'll need a belly pan, and a radiator repair or replacement (I'd probably want a nice newer one) so It would have to be hauled (approx. $400, which he would split cost). He's asking $5,500, and he seems pretty firm... It is in really good shape. But the practical side of me has trouble spending that much on a vehicle I can't drive home. Thoughts on that?

Thanks
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Post by rustytoolss Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:26 pm

I would say the fuel mileage between the V8 and the /6  would not be enough to get worried about. And the extra power is always a good thing.
    As far as updates:  Electronic Ignition, Disc brakes, and a GOOD radiator. And of course a big smile Very Happy
    I bought an A100 pickup (cause they're cool) but for traveling , the van body is probably the better choice (more room for thing needed). The 318 and the /6 are both very good engines. You can't go wrong with either one.
    Since the van is a 108, I think the 318 is the better choice IMO.
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:36 pm

looks like a great van. long wheel base is a great idea. i love them inline 6 engines, but the 318 is a way more common option.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:54 pm

[quote="Joe Miller"]... It is in really good shape. But the practical side of me has trouble spending that much on a vehicle I can't drive home. Thoughts on that? Thanks.

...Well if it was me, I'd have to say that if the paint and body work is done right and there are no rust bubbles in the wheel well areas and bottom side panels then that alone would put that van in that price range...and then some. As for the radiator and belly pan problem/missing...that wouldn't be much of a factor, cus that stuff is an easy fix. If the motor runs good and shifts fine and the steering is pretty good, I'd say you have a van worth $5,500.00 all day long. It looks like a great van from the pics you have shown. The last thing I would take a peak at is the rain gutters to see if they are still in nice shape, and take a look underneath the back floor area to see how the belly looks for rust on leaf brackets and just in general to see if anything looks loose. Without looking at it in person, from what the pics show....I would say that $5500 is a safe bet and a good deal.

Joe Miller
    Joe Miller

Post by Joe Miller Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:39 pm

I appreciate the feedback!

I'm thinking that we're going to work something out tomorrow if everything checks out okay. I can't wait to see her. Oh, and the windows apparently have a factory slight green tint, has anyone heard of that?
    Joe Miller
    Joe Miller

Post by Joe Miller Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:46 pm

rustytoolss wrote:I would say the fuel mileage between the V8 and the /6  would not be enough to get worried about. And the extra power is always a good thing.
    As far as updates:  Electronic Ignition, Disc brakes, and a GOOD radiator. And of course a big smile Very Happy
    I bought an A100 pickup (cause they're cool) but for traveling , the van body is probably the better choice (more room for thing needed). The 318 and the /6 are both very good engines. You can't go wrong with either one.
    Since the van is a 108, I think the 318 is the better choice IMO.

Thank you! The pickups are cool. I've never seen one in person though, only a Ford E-truck. The truck in your picture looks really cool.

Would it be worth it to further update the cooling system? I think besides a radiator I might also want a thermometer so I can see the actual temperature. What about updating the fan and/or shroud?

Also, do you have any specific radiator you would recommend? On the site I've seen "Four Seasons Radiator" recommended a few times. I hear they are pricey though, as they're custom. I've also seen recommended the Champion all aluminum cc3132b 3 row core pro series radiator.

Thanks again
    Joe

pittsdriver
    pittsdriver

Number of posts : 335
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

Post by pittsdriver Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:10 pm

One thing nice about the 108 is that you can drop a late model fuel injected 318 with a 5 speed overdrive auto trans in it and get great mileage and easy freeway speed cruising. Don
    dodge A-108
    dodge A-108

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-11-22

Which configuration of the Dodge A van for roadtripping? Empty A-100 /6 3spd VS A-108 v8 auto

Post by dodge A-108 Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:26 pm

Joe Miller wrote:Hello everybody,

I'm new here, and so far I'm really digging the site. I just wanted to get some opinions.. If you were to have an A-van to drive heavily, and basically live in, what would it be? The standard A-100? Longer A-108 wheelbase? Slant 6 225? 318 V8? Manual or automatic?

I've been pondering this for a while.. I don't currently own a Dodge van but I've found one I really like. It's a 108 in really nice shape, 318 auto. I figured with reliability, economy, and comfort in mind, a 108 equipped with a /6 manual would be my best bet. So I'm not sure whether or not to pull the trigger and get this van, even though it doesn't meet my idea of the perfect configuration.

What do you guys think? Is the 318 comparable with the /6 in reliability? Economy?

Remember.. driving long distances.. highway speeds. I know this could be a whole new topic, but, say I did get this 108 with the 318 auto, any immediate modifications I would be better off doing?

Any input is much appreciated, interested to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks,
    I believe for long distance and useability. the A-108 with a v8 and auto lends itself to this task better than a shorty and a 6 would
    Joe
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:34 am

Hell even an older 3spd with od will bolt up to the old 318 and have plenty of room. Looks like a clean van to me. You can make a bellypan easy enough and get the radiator repaired.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:15 pm

the champion rad will work just fine,
    the 4 seasons rad was cheap until everyone here started
    buying it then the price went threw the roof

Post by Joe Miller Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:47 pm

Just to touch base with everybody,

I ended up getting the van!

Now I'm in the process accumulation process haha.

I've got a new (old) intake manifold and edelbrock carb for it. Electronic ignition and new coil. Going to be getting a new wiring harness as well.

Still haven't decided on a radiator. I want to make sure she doesn't run into cooling issues, which seems like it can be a problem with these forward control vehicles. Any opinions on a pusher fan? Shroud? Tranny cooler?

Other than the radiator and tires, it's just small stuff like fuel filters, plugs and wires. I'm going to get some odds and ends from a guy who's parting out an old A-108, like the sun visors, glove box, engine hood latch, etc. The van was pretty bare when I got it. One of the previous owners did the paint job (which isn't bad) and replaced the door deals (pretty bad, falling off) So I'll probably have to have weatherstripping and seals done. If the donor van guy is willing, I might buy the chrome body trim from him, just to spice mine up a little. Might be a little tricky putting that on though, since mine doesn't have the holes/clamps for it.

Joe
    Joe Miller
    Joe Miller

Post by Joe Miller Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:31 am

dix wrote:the champion rad will work just fine,
    the 4 seasons rad was cheap until everyone here started
    buying it then the price went threw the roof

Do you know if the Champion radiator will require any fabrication?
    Will every new radiator require fabrication of brackets, etc. or are there any that are just "plug n' go" for an A-108?

Thanks

Joe
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Number of posts : 248
    Registration date : 2012-06-27

Post by whalemstr Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:25 am

I have an FSR in mine and I took my mechanical fan off and put a 16" electric pusher on it. I can go all the way to town and back - 24 miles one way - and never turn the fan on with this radiator! I took it out on the highway at 70mph on one of our 105+ degree days and with the fan on I watched the temp only get into the middle of the gauge and stay there. As soon as I would get into 55 or slower areas it cools down even more!

I love mine and love the service these guys showed to me!!!

877-385-1900
    ask for Gary and tell him Dan out in California sent you his way!!!

I did have to drill the holes in the flange and cut the top of the flange so it would fit into the tapered doghouse top...no big deal
    Joe Miller
    Joe Miller

Post by Joe Miller Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:08 pm

whalemstr wrote:I have an FSR in mine and I took my mechanical fan off and put a 16" electric pusher on it. I can go all the way to town and back - 24 miles one way - and never turn the fan on with this radiator! I took it out on the highway at 70mph on one of our 105+ degree days and with the fan on I watched the temp only get into the middle of the gauge and stay there. As soon as I would get into 55 or slower areas it cools down even more!

I love mine and love the service these guys showed to me!!!

877-385-1900
    ask for Gary and tell him Dan out in California sent you his way!!!

I did have to drill the holes in the flange and cut the top of the flange so it would fit into the tapered doghouse top...no big deal

Hey Dan,

That post was a while ago! I've since put in a FSR radiator in the Dodge. You're right, they're GREAT. My temp. gauge barely goes up now, I doubt it's even went up half way since I've had this radiator in. I think I'll still keep my fan connected though, ha!

Joe
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Number of posts : 248
    Registration date : 2012-06-27

Post by whalemstr Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:41 pm

That's cool!

My FSR radiator is nothing but excellent! The service and attitude of these people is magnificent as far as I am concerned and I would recommend them EVERY time!!!

I am selling all my slant6 and A100 stuff including my 1967 A100 pickup body and all the parts I have been collecting for over a decade now...

My health and attitude really suck lately, so I am trying to sell my house and property...I only have so many hours left and want to spend the time doing fun stuff instead of just surviving...
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:57 am

Hi Joe,

It's good to get engine advice for roadtripping but I figure you're also asking about how to set up the back. I did my trip in 90" Chevy van, but the extra room of a 108 will sure help.

Most folks put their bed across the back but that makes the bed too short. I recommend running it the long way along the driver's side and having a fold-down table on the passenger side. And my philosophy is that cabinets and closets eat up too much room. Keep it modular. Clothes can hang on a hook on the wall or be folded up into a tub.

Actually, I made my bed in two halves. The back half rested on the wheel well and was bolted in.  Then the back edge of the front half hooked onto and into the back half, while the front part sat on two plastic milk crates. I made sure to make the entire bed height to be milk crate height. As I recall, a 2x4 laid flat on top of the wheel well was the same height as a crate. The crates kind of grip the carpet and don't slide around. They stored quite a bit. I put the seldom-used stuff in them. The open area just behind the front crates had a plastic tub with all the dishes, that I could easily slide out when I needed something.

The two-part design also allowed the front half to fit alongside the back part, which made it the traditional across-the-back bed/platform. Just re-position the crates and have it sit on those and the other wheel well.  As clever as this was, I don't think I ever put it in that configuration.

That's my tip of the day! When does your trip start?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:54 am