VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

adding a auxilary gas tank

dodge A-108
    dodge A-108

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-11-22

adding a auxilary gas tank Empty adding a auxilary gas tank

Post by dodge A-108 Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:50 am

im considering adding another 20 gal gas tank to my A-108. I would like to have at least a 700 mile range .out of this mod. any one with any ideas? suggestions? lets hear it!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

adding a auxilary gas tank Empty Re: adding a auxilary gas tank

Post by donivan65 Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:55 pm

I surely added a 10 gallon VW bus tank to back up my 16 gallon tank Chevy Van tank to get me to the next open gas station during the Oil Embargo in the 1970's.......

adding a auxilary gas tank Tankme10
    westcoastvanner
    westcoastvanner

Number of posts : 1686
    Registration date : 2008-10-04

Post by westcoastvanner Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:03 pm

How did you set up the feul lines and how did you divert the fuel from one tank to the other? Did you use a manual control? What year VW van tank did you use and how did you mount the tank?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:15 pm

I still have the tank for measurements,,,,,,it would of probably been a 1960's VW bus since I put the tank in around 1972,,,,,,,,I once had it under my bed inside the  back of my van and ran the filler neck up out above my left rear tail light,,,I then moved it like inside of the left side rocker panel and ran the filler through the wheelwell behind the left front tire,,,, I put a 2 way cable operated fuel tank selector valve in the suction line of the fuel pump,,,,,ran it to each tank,,, ran a choke cable to under my seat,,,,, I would fill both tanks, switch to the  spare tank,,,,,when the 10 gallons ran out,,,,and the engine started coughing, I would push the choke button down and be connected to my 16 gallon stock tank,,,,,the tank has no fuel sender hole,,,,just a fill and a fitting on the bottom,,,I guess this is just like a motorcycle,,,,when you run out, you have to switch to reserve,,,,,you could drill a hole in the top and put a normal pick up tube and sending unit in it,,,,,,I am pretty sure I got this off a bus,,,,,unless the bug used it,,,,,, they surely had no fuel gauge....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 9:02 am