VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Need 318 oil pan gasket info, trim or not ??

MikeE
    MikeE

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2013-03-21

Need 318 oil pan gasket info, trim or not ??  Empty Need 318 oil pan gasket info, trim or not ??

Post by MikeE Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:46 am

The cork oil pan gaskets go over the tops of the seals at the ends. Should I trim these back so that the top of the seal is not covered with cork? Trim so cork just touches edge of seal?
    Don't have a shop manual handy. Thanks, Mike
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Need 318 oil pan gasket info, trim or not ??  Empty Re: Need 318 oil pan gasket info, trim or not ??

Post by rustytoolss Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:26 pm

I've never trimmed the cork side rail gaskets at the end rubbers.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Need 318 oil pan gasket info, trim or not ??  Empty Re: Need 318 oil pan gasket info, trim or not ??

Post by jkr Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:00 pm

NO..... it stays there. just a small dab of silicone in the four corners on the block side, 2 at the corner of the timing cover and at the rear main cap. a very light spray of sticky gasket cement on the pan keeps it in place .and an old racing trick for you. do not put silicone on the pan gasket other than the 4 corners as it will make it squirt out when you tighten it down. also take a center punch and mark the oil pan rail on the block between all the bolt holes and up to the 4 corners. it gives the cork gasket something to bite into on the block side and the sticky side is on the pan. it does work......
    MikeE
    MikeE

Need 318 oil pan gasket info, trim or not ??  Empty Still on hold

Post by MikeE Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:34 am

Have not gotten pan installed as I'm still fighting oil level tube problem. Tried 2 different chrome tubes, OD is correct but wall thickness is too great, IF I got one of them beat into place afraid may crack the boss they go into trying to bend. Tried to bend one, using tubing benders, before hand and too difficult to beat on worrying it may start crooked. NOS one on order, pulled fuel pump and alternator and bracket to get a straight shot when it arrives. Would pull doghouse but it's a camper and it would be a major ordeal to get it out.

I RTV'ed the cork into place (less area around seals last week) it is cured so no slippage when it's time. If I don't have time for a gasket to dry in place the trick my Grandpa taught me is to tie in place with thread on each bolt hole, he used Permatex on everything. You can leave thread or cut it as bolts are installed. Have the rubber end seals waiting with a cable tie holding ends together to help put a bend in them.

Mike
    MikeE
    MikeE

Need 318 oil pan gasket info, trim or not ??  Empty Tube in place

Post by MikeE Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:15 pm

NOS tube made it, it was a later model with an anchor tab attached. I pulled the alternator bracket, straightened out the tab, put alt. bracket below tab and installed tube and was able to anchor it to outermost one of the bolts that goes into the head after it was seated. Used a crowsfoot on the tube, slipped it over tube and had it resting on the fluted area that seats in block using about 30"s of extensions and I drove it in place. Formed ,bent,  it slightly and was able to get dip stick where it pulls out right below the support that is 3" or so inches behind radiator.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:15 pm