VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
donivan65
Digz
Twinpilot001
G-Man
Scott
dix
ditdater
11 posters

actual model C10/G10 info & rear end info on 65 van

ditdater
    ditdater

Number of posts : 590
    Registration date : 2010-11-06

actual model C10/G10 info & rear end info on 65 van Empty actual model C10/G10 info & rear end info on 65 van

Post by ditdater Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:31 pm

looking to pick up 65 C10 van any day now . and have a couple questions ,if anyone can assist me on.
    first , is there a reputable website that i could print off the factory listing of 65 vans sorted out to show the least to most expensive model , which help me on proving a 65 C10 4 cylinder w/absolutly no interior is the bottom of the line model.
    second , i/m looking to drive home my 65 C10 all stock 4 cylinder 3 speed, a 110 mile trip ,tune up in good stock mech shape. is anyone on top of comfortable cruising speed (without pushing it) .i hear its stock rearend is really geared for city driving .
    also if too slow , later poss. later thinking on getting info to see easiest way to get speed up and rpm down . thanks
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8724
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

actual model C10/G10 info & rear end info on 65 van Empty Re: actual model C10/G10 info & rear end info on 65 van

Post by dix Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:55 pm

they never made a 4 clynder van in 60's......
    ditdater
    ditdater

actual model C10/G10 info & rear end info on 65 van Empty yep,yep,yep sure did

Post by ditdater Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:11 pm

yeah ,i/ve found that info for sure that 4banger was offered in 65s. again looking for a official website showing factory info listing of 65 chevy van models ranking from top to bottom .
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

actual model C10/G10 info & rear end info on 65 van Empty Re: actual model C10/G10 info & rear end info on 65 van

Post by Scott Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Yes, GMC / Chevy did have a 4cyl, but a C10 would be a pickup, it must be a G10. I've heard that the 4cyl was so underpowered they dropped it after the first year or two.

I think it was a 153, but may be wrong. They were real popular for boats, and now rare to find in a van. I think most people pulled them and put in something bigger.

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Yes it was a 153 , I have never seen a van with one in it.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:11 pm

The old chev 4 cyl engines - yes 153 cube = usually went into the early chev 2's =not novas. liek 64 -68?? They were also used by the 1000.s in mercruiser boat applications. Yet the marine engine had an addl mounting boss that the autos didnot have - Used them in boats before also-i made a diff mount . They were mostly a bullitt proff engine in boats & could spin them all day @ 5800 RPM's = yes that fast & lasted forever !! ive never4 seen one in a van = if they were used they would be like a 144 in an econo- low on power.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:34 pm

I believe the 65 I had in HS was originally a 4. My uncle swapped in the 230, and it came with 13" tires originally.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:14 pm

actual model C10/G10 info & rear end info on 65 van 15310

actual model C10/G10 info & rear end info on 65 van 153_d10
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:23 am

ditdater wrote:looking to pick up 65 C10 van any day now . and have a couple questions ,if anyone can assist me on.
    first , is there a reputable website that i could print off the factory listing of 65 vans sorted out to show the least to most expensive model , which help me on proving a 65 C10 4 cylinder w/absolutly no interior is the bottom of the line model.
    second , i/m looking to drive home my 65 C10 all stock 4 cylinder 3 speed, a 110 mile trip ,tune up in good stock mech shape. is anyone on top of comfortable cruising speed (without pushing it) .i hear its stock rearend is really geared for city driving .
    also if too slow , later poss. later thinking on getting info to see easiest way to get speed up and rpm down . thanks
    As far as I know, no website exists that you describe.
    Wht you can look for are brochures for these vans from those years.
    The Old Car Manual Project (TOCMP) has a lot of brochures, but not all of them. Another source would be dealership material, like salesman's pocket reference guides. Look for these on EBay and in collector's hands.

http://www.factoryautomanuals.com/p-88340-1965-chevrolet-salesmans-pocket-facts-book.aspx

The smallest engine in a bare van probably is the lowest priced model. Is this for bragging rights or trying to get the price down?
    Seems like a minor trivia point...

As for driving characteristics, you can see that even in this group, this drivetrain is almost unknown. Plus, 5 vans that are 50 years old will all drive different due to age and what has been done over the years.

Good luck with the purchase and drive!
    ditdater
    ditdater

actual model C10/G10 info & rear end info on 65 van Empty 4 cylinder 65 G10 info ...

Post by ditdater Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:16 pm

actually ,i/ve heard in ky they try to stick you w/ classic car sales tax ,at a ridiculas amount , saying not sure which model to sort it as.. thats why i was asking for legitiment info to give dmv when i transfer it. but i was just told as long as the seller notorized transfer w/ purchase price ,then thats what they should tax it on.
    the other reason i was asking is my title lists it as a 65 chevy C10 , and was looking for another piece of info to give dmv to help change error to G10.
    hopefully monday will transfer van w no problems.
    but yes this van listed from indy ,i believe is a all orig. 65 4 cylinder ,the odd looking windows were put in to replace the orig. camper type slat windows. and they look pretty good in person. it looks absoluty new original inside ,besides stereo and different buckets that needs replaced (sits way low in the rear of seat to reach up to shift gears )paint job was inside and out ,pretty good , not the best but good.
    just drove it from indy to louisville ky. no problems , but w/ the gears in the rear end , didnt feel good driving over 57 mph. great steering,& braking
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:55 pm

I don't know if there is such a thing as a G10 model,,,,,they call them G1205 panel vans out here in California,,,,,HOWEVER,,,,the Vin number plate above the drivers door post latch should start with G1255P as well as on the crossmember,,,,,,,
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:00 pm

ditdater the info you got about the taxes is correct. You will need a form TC96-182 (Application for Kentucky Certificate of title/registration) filled out and notarized by the seller. Then you should pay taxes on the notarized sale price, even if its less than the NADA book price. You shouldn't have any problem with a sale price because I don't think the NADA goes back that far. I've bought three vans from out of state and the TC96 form and out of state title was all I needed.

Here's the link to download the form.

http://transportation.ky.gov/Organizational-Resources/Pages/Forms-Library.aspx

ditdater
    ditdater

actual model C10/G10 info & rear end info on 65 van Empty thanks for the replies.....

Post by ditdater Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:01 am

hey dudes ,
    thanks again, actually i just got all paperwork notorized and drove it home yesterday.yep, i/m hoping no problems w/ everything filled out as stated . as far as title name ,it shows make and name as chevrolet and model as C10. is that correct or should i try to tell them it needs to be changed to G10 ?
    anyway its been long awhile to aquire my 4th early. this time instead of having a shaggon" wagon,being forgiven thru the Blood of Christ" its what i call my "Grace " wagon, will be using it alot at my church where ever needed, . i/ll try to show pics soon ,the way i understand it this van was owned by someone in indy ,mainly using it for camping , then parked around 1992-3 , until last yr. then bought by 2nd owner ,repainted and freshened up very nicely . where it had the old camper slat type side windows ,he did a tastefully job of replaceing them w better looking ones (different but better than what was there). again thanks ,really appreciate the info.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:12 am

Just want to say Welcome Ditdater.Start you a members showcase and show ya van off bud.May take a lil bit to get the hang of posting pics.Theres a tutorial on the main page to show how.Like to see the 4 banger in the doghouse.
    ditdater
    ditdater

actual model C10/G10 info & rear end info on 65 van Empty pics of new van up in a little bit

Post by ditdater Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:44 pm

will have access to camera in a few days.again thanks for the replies
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

Post by Xelmon Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Well thank god they got rid of that... Think of it boys, 90hp and 150ftlb or so in something the size of a Subaru legacy?
    The VW's pulled it off for years, however you knew that those were never in the fast lane, even more so it they had a stump-puller rear end.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:51 pm