VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Not sure if this is the right forum?

Not sure if this is the right forum? Empty Not sure if this is the right forum?

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:33 am

I took off some body side molding on my van and now have at least 20.. 1/4 inch holes to fill. I was gonna use fiberglass hair bondo to try and fill the holes, but someone told me that i would have to dimple each hole for it to work right and stay put. Now the big question should i buy myself a little welder and try to weld the holes? Would that make sense since i've never welded before in my life, and could i screw that up bad? If i should buy a welder for this job ,what would ya'll recommend? I have no clue what to look for in welders that could do this job. Thanks for any help ya'll can give me. Curt
    back2thewoods
    back2thewoods

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Not sure if this is the right forum? Empty Re: Not sure if this is the right forum?

Post by back2thewoods Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:01 am

my buddy, countersinks them and fills with j-b weld. been holding up fine
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Not sure if this is the right forum? Empty Re: Not sure if this is the right forum?

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:22 am

I guess it depends on how good a job you want,,,,If you are going spend big money on a paint job, you need to weld up the holes,,,,,Harbor Freight probably has their MIG wire feed flux welders for about $100 or so. And a MIG welder is one of the best toys you can have. I just take a piece of copper, stick a magnet over it to hold it over the backside of the hole, and weld the outside closed. You can add metal plugs or just free hand the welding. All you do is squeeze the trigger and it welds,,,,,easy to use,,,,,and a grinder erases your mistakes. I would not depend on anything out of a tube to hold up with all the flexing of the panels. So this is one more choice for you.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:34 pm

Just curious ..why copper and how large thickness does it have to be for a 1/4 inch hole? Remember i'm a virgin... to welding.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:01 pm

welding wire does not stick to copper and it makes a good ground point. just a piece big enough to cover the hole. i sometimes use a piece of copper pipe a foot long or so and flatten it out then put a bend in about a couple inches away foom the end. this gives you a handle to hold it with.you have to grind the old paint off also to get to bare metal or it spatters all over the place. then just tap the hole in a slight amount and weld away. flux core welders are more likely to do this (splatter) anyway and they smoke a bit more. just start at the edge of the hole and go in a circular motion till you fill it in, then grind the extra off. then a little tiger hair and bondo and your ready for primer.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:29 pm

What if your not able to get to the back side of the holes? Sorry for all the dumb questions but just trying to learn something new.
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:41 pm

then you have to free hand it. harder to do but it can be done. do one second pulls on the trigger at the edge of the holes.try it on a piece of scrap metal a few times first the same way the holes are in the van then go to the body. remember not to much heat or the panels start to warp.
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:43 pm

theres never a dumb question, but the answers sometimes .................................
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:50 pm

You don't have to use copper to block the hole from the backside, but its one way to fill a hole in since the welding rod won't stick to copper. I just cut a 1/2 copper connector fitting along one side and flatten it out to a 2 inch square piece and stick a magnet to hold it over the backside of a hole. It's just for backing, to keep the wire from going into the hole and wasting it. It's just one way to plug holes and if you cant get behind it to block it off, then you start from the outside of the hole and keep making it smaller until you fill it in. You can use any kind of welder that you want,,,,,MIG, TIG, ARC or braze them up with a torch. It depends on what kind of job you want and what equipment you have. If you are going to spend a lot of money on a paint job, you need to fix the holes permanently,,,,you don't want those holes coming back to haunt you.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:21 pm

I always brazed the holes up.......havent done it in a long time!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:22 am