VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

master cylinder question...

master cylinder question... Empty master cylinder question...

Post by Guest Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:52 pm

can i retrofit a 67 and later dual reservoir master cylinder onto my 65?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

master cylinder question... Empty Re: master cylinder question...

Post by G-Man Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:21 pm

Heath, donivan has a post here with everything you need to do for this Mod. I looked for it but can't find the post. If he sees this he can help
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:46 pm

That is a mandatory upgrade for a 1st Gen,,,,,,,you need more than a 1 line master cylinder to be safe. And replace the brakelines and hoses while you are at it. You will need to cut out the rear section of the brake bracket to make room for the longer dual line master cylinder and lower your sway bar if you have one. Here is a picture of Napa part numbers that will allow you to replace all the old lines as well as adding the new ones,,,,,,

master cylinder question... Brake_11

master cylinder question... Repair11

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:44 am

yes!!!! thank you so much! do you have a link to the thread where you did this upgrade? i love the van and my 5 year old daughter does to. she want's to ride in it really badly, but i don't have a seat for her in the back yet. i also wanted to do this brake upgrade as well if i'm going to be hauling her around in it. truth is, i wanted to do the brake upgrade anyway. i just feel safer knowing that if i bust a line, i'll still have brakes.....especially sitting right up in front of the vehicle like that!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:37 am

I converted Vanishes' Blue No Door over to a dual and used braided steel lines brake lines on it. I also converted my van over to a dual and added front disk brakes to it. The rear brakes are easy, just start at the brake hose above the rear end, connect two of the 60" brake lines together and run it all the way along the frame past the radiator and over to the master cylinder. Then run a brake from each front brake hose to a "T" and over to the other port on the master cylinder. Then replace both brake lines on the rear end. Now if you want to upgrade the system, you can use that Brake warning light valve as a "T", to monitor the pressure in both brake lines and put a light on in the dash if it senses lower pressure in one of the systems.

master cylinder question... Nodoor10

master cylinder question... Nodoor11

master cylinder question... Nodoor12

master cylinder question... Nodoor13

master cylinder question... Nodoor14

master cylinder question... Braide10

master cylinder question... 71_mc10

master cylinder question... Disk_011
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:59 am

I know this topic been beat like a dead horse but... This the right one?

Master

What do you have the lines from your master running into Don? 2 run in then 2 run back out. Just curious what that is.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:43 am

Getting rid of that suicide 1 line master cylinder and those rusted out metal brake lines is the most important thing you can do on a 1st Gen,,,,,so we will NEVER stop talking about it,,,,Now on mine, it is 1 of a kind,,,,,I put it on before M1Dadio was born,,,,,it is from a 3rd gen, so it is a REAL disk brake system, not one built from parts,,,,,there is a REAL combination valve with a 1 1/8" bore master cylinder,,,,so I don't use those proportioning and metering valves that you have now,,,,, the biggest problem you run into is how to connect the inverted flare 3/8" brake lines into the 1/2 and 9/16" ports in the master cylinder,,,,so you would need 2 Napa or Carquest type adapters to do it.....and if you are just changing the master cylinder and brake lines you don't need to worry about the disk brake parts at this time....

master cylinder question... 2ndgen11

master cylinder question... 3rdgen10

master cylinder question... Brake_14
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:44 am

Hey Don, I couldnt find the other topic we were talking about this so going to ask here.

I took the 350 and 700R tranny out of my 1991 van and kept the master cylinder, which I cant use of course but was wondering about these...

master cylinder question... Brake10

I kept all the lines and everything. I bought a dial proportioning valve off eBay but thought this might be a better route?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:35 am

Every piece in a brake system is made to work with the other pieces,,,,and all the pieces are made to match the vehicle,,,,,now you start adding all kinds of different pieces to our vehicles and they might or might not work,,,,there are so many variables in a brake system, especially if you are trying to match up a drum system with a disk system,,,,,thats why you see people use an adjustable proportioning, metering and check valves, to get all the mismatched parts to get the brakes to work the best job that they can.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:37 am

I will take that as, "Dont Use that thing" then. Lol

Just thought it was something I seen you post in a previous post.

Thanks bro.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:55 pm

That 71 Chevy Van picture above with the 1 1/8" bore master cylinder and its combination valve is what I have on my van,,,,,it is for a 1/2 ton van with front disk brakes,,,,,so it is a real system,,,,,not one of those drum brake master cylinders that has to have an adjustable proportioning valve, metering and check valves to get front disks to work on our vans,,,,if this ever gives up I will try one of those popular World Famous systems on my van. I kinda like don't do things in the normal way............
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Well lets get back to the master cylinder question,,,,,and residual check valves,,,,drums like 10 psi sitting in the brake lines at all time,,,,disks like 2 psi sitting in them,,,,,so how do you remove the extra 8 psi in the brake line that goes to the front disks,,,, IF,,,,,you use this master cylinder? and here is a picture of one,,,,you pull the snap ring out and 12 more pieces come flying out at you,,,,M1D,,,,do you recommend modifying these 2nd Gen master cylinders or get a different type????

master cylinder question... Mc_bre10
    Leftcoast65
    Leftcoast65

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2011-08-27

Post by Leftcoast65 Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:08 pm

G-Man wrote:Heath, donivan has a post here with everything you need to do for this Mod. I looked for it but can't find the post. If he sees this he can help

Here is the post for the brake conversion with detailed pictures and drawings . . . . thanks to Lord Donivan: Van Safety should never be a dead horse in my book!!

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t30738-1st-gen-duel-brake-cylinder-conversion-needed
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:37 pm

We try to post updates to any new information as we find it,,,,,,and to look at those things from a different angle to see if we can make things clearer or easier to understand....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:36 am