VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Any Electrical Gurus out there?

Mad Jack
    Mad Jack

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2013-05-25

Any Electrical Gurus out there? Empty Any Electrical Gurus out there?

Post by Mad Jack Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:26 am

Hey Fellow Vanners...

Still working on getting mine back to as much stock as I can, the guy who owned it before me had fitted some generic type of ignition switch. I'm putting a stock one back in, but I'm guessing it originally had some kind of plug which has now been removed. I checked the wiring diagram and the wire colors are correct, but it doesn't give me any clue as to which pins the wires go to.

I'm no electrical expert, and don't want to risk damaging anything trying to figure it out... are there any Guru's out there who could point a muppet in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any help Smile

Here's what's fitted now

https://www.dropbox.com/s/irdxwu1g86lgo73/old_swith.jpg

Here's the new one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2v6d3t8e0lsos9/new_switch.jpg
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Any Electrical Gurus out there? Empty Re: Any Electrical Gurus out there?

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:09 am

I am thinking the REAL Ford ignition switch has 4 terminals on it,,,,,,marked A, black wires, for volt reg/ dash....B for battery,,,yellow wire...C for ignition,,,red/green.....S for the starter,,,red/blue......that new switch might be for a newer type van,,,,,,,take an ohm meter,,,,check for continuity between each of those terminals to the body of the switch at all key positions,,,,, the body of the switch is ground,,,,,,you don't want ANY of those terminals to go to ground,,,,,newer switches have a ground terminal to test the bulbs before you start,,,,,,so IF you find one DONT use it,,,,,but this will get you started,,,,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:57 pm

If the new switch is not marked with A, B, C, and S ,then put the key cylinder in it......turn it to off,,,,take an ohm meter and find 2 terminals on the new switch that are connected,,,,,those are where the black and pink wires go,,,,,,,,turn the key on,,,,,whatever terminal  has conductivity to the black wires is BATTERY,,,,,,whatever terminal that has conductivity with the battery and when you turn the key to start is the starter wire,,,,,,that sure is going to take a lot of spade terminals,,,,,If I had a Ford,,,,,I would hook one of these universal fuse blocks to the ignition terminal  on the switch and add all those 5 circuits to it rather than trying to get them all onto the switch,,,,also add another one to the bolt on that switch and you get 6 more hot circuits  to add stuff to,,,,,and move some of the circuits from that wonderful fuse box on the headlight switch......

Any Electrical Gurus out there? New_bo10
    Mad Jack
    Mad Jack

Post by Mad Jack Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:18 am

Awesome... thanks Doni, you're a Superstar... that helps me a lot  Very Happy 
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:41 pm

Your new switch is a 1967, which is slightly different form 1961-1966, but will work for 1961-1967.
    The extra lug (1967 only) that you have labeled "1" goes to the brake light on the dash to light it up when you start up. Just don't use that lug on older models, and you will be fine.

The screw on the back (your label "3") is the Accessory lug that sends power to the fuse box when the Econo is running.

I don't know the other three, since I have always used the ford wiring plug that fits only one way and hooks to your 2, 4, and 5.
    Mad Jack
    Mad Jack

Post by Mad Jack Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:16 am

Thanks Barnabas Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 6:49 pm