VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
Scott
wideload
Vanish
xjamesx
Kakster
G-Man
sasktrini
wacko
donivan65
13 posters

Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure!

itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure! - Page 3 Empty Re: Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure!

Post by itruns Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Corey, Vanners desire liquid bread? Go figure. Glad to hear you made it back safe and sound.

That master cylinder activates the trailer brakes when the trailer pushes on your van. There should have been a lock-out (defeating) device for backing it up.

Since you have a receiver hitch on your G20, just a couple pointers for future reference:

Keep the rig on a level plane by using the proper height ball mount.

The tongue weight should be between 10 to 15% of the trailer weight (w/ load).

There was a cable to activate the surge brakes in case the trailer came off the tow vehicle. Connect that cable to the vehicle itelf, not the receiver. That way if you loose the receiver, the brakes will still activate.

A weight distribution hitch attachment takes weight off the tow vehicle's rear axle and put it on the front axle making for a much more stable towing platform. The bitch is with the way surge brakes work, a lot of these attachments defeat the braking mechanism. They have also been known to damage unibody vehicles.

Sorry to rant or lecture, but as you found out, trailering can get kinda scary. The more knowledge you have and follow, the safer and easier things will be.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure! - Page 3 Empty Re: Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure!

Post by sasktrini Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:43 am

Thanx for the primer, Larry! All pointers to clarify towing aspects I didn't understand. I'll be the one that says "I didn't know that" in public, and everyone can benefit from the advice I receive! One reason why the web is great!
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:47 am

If at all possible, I prefer a tow-bar.
    Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure! - Page 3 Epu_110
    This was scary!!! Shocked
    Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure! - Page 3 Dsc01211
    This is very comfortable, no problems at all. Keep in mind I have very good power disc brakes!!! Twisted Evil

Later,
    Rip
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:57 am

One of the issues with a tow bar or tow dolly is that if the tires or bearings are bad, you can have real problems.

Backing the van onto the trailer might also help with the tongue weight.

I was thinking if Neil and Tom drive a tow vechile down there, one of them can drive the Dart back. It would take a little longer, but the costs may be lower.

Post by Guest Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:08 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:26 pm