VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+15
BvrWally
RipVanArkie
wideload
texasjohn
oo3
Scott
savage
Kakster
gotavan
sasktrini
benwah
Admin
G-Man
jkr
itruns
19 posters

Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure...part two!

Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure...part two! Empty Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure...part two!

Post by Guest Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:07 pm

Okay, earlier in the summer I travelled to Phoenix from Ottawa, Ontario to get my Dodge A100. You can read about that here -> https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/vintage-vans-general-discussion-f1/neil-and-tom-s-arizona-adventure-t413.htm?highlight=neil

As you may know, we were supposed to get two vans, but only got one. Well we've been thinking about the van we left behind all summer!

Finally, Tom convinced me we have to go get it. Different scenarios were rattling around like shipping the van here, flying back and swapping the motor, etc. Finally we decided to buy a vehicle with a good slant six, drive it there, swap the motor, scrap the vehicle, then drive the van home.

Sound like a good plan? No, I didn't think you'd think so! I think we're a little nuts too.....anyhow, yesterday we bought this 65,000 mile '78 Volare Wagon and we're going!! $300...not bad eh?

We spent the day today fixing her up a bit....some quickie body work, tinted the rear windows, fixed a bad brake line, new fuel line etc......and we're leaving probably on Monday or Tuesday!

4000+ miles to Phoenix...swap the motor into the A100, 4000+ miles home! Smile yes, we're certifiably nuts!

Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure...part two! Img_0813

Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure...part two! Img_0814

Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure...part two! Img_0815
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure...part two! Empty Re: Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure...part two!

Post by itruns Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:57 pm

No, I don't think your nuts. I'm just wondering what someone might be able to hide under those rockers. scratch

Any word on the radiator. Nate found one for a Ford that might work. I'm thinking pull the wagon's radiator and do the Radiator Van thing.

You have the time and motivation. If you can get a rust free van cheap, go for it.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure...part two! Empty Re: Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure...part two!

Post by jkr Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:31 pm

the leaning tower of power will make it no problem!!!!!! drove one for a couple weeks with one connecting rod nockin like a fool. dvap.com desert valley auto parts will no doubt take whats left. its a trip i would do if i had the time and disposable cash. sounds like a real hoot..... by the way----whats that lurking in the garage behind the snow blower????coronet?????
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:20 pm

enbro Just one question why do bodywork to something that your pulling the motor out of???? And what are you going to do with it down there after you pull the motor out??? Like last time I'm sure this will be a true adventure and some great reading. I wish you guy's the best of luck on your trip.

Post by Guest Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:37 pm

That's a '69 Valiant 2-door post that I found in a field and sold to Tom. We put new frame rails, all new floor pans, new rockers...major project. Tom painted it but it all blistered on him so he's had to wet sand it and now it's going to go to someone else for final paint. It's got a 360, and the rear from my parts A100 that Tom is having shortened!

We're doing a bit of bodywork just to keep the cops off our ass...don't need anyone pulling us off the road for driving an unsafe car, ya know? We're going shotgun too, no valid plates. Smile Shh..don't tell anyone!

Post by Guest Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:39 pm

Oh ya, not to mention the fumes coming into the back of the wagon..we're going to be sleeping in there (one guy sleeps, the other drives) so we wanted to plug the holes so we don't die!! Trust me, we didn't do nice bodywork....patch, bondo, sand and paint in one day kinda job.

Last edited by enbro on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:40 pm

I wouldn't worry I see worst than that car everyday.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:08 am

You guys may want to make a detour to this place for lunch while out that way

What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,251500.0.html
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2008-05-01

Post by Admin Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:55 am

When you get back from your adventure, hopefully victorious and in one piece, you MUST give me a little bio info and pics so I can get a page made about the infamous Neil and Tom Very Happy for our Meet the Members section...
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:17 pm

AWESOME!!! some people thinked i was nuts for driving my 65a100 window van 3000 miles home-it was only a shed for 20 years,i have more faith in an old mopar than any new car on the market today- a valore wagon sweet! always wanted to have one!happy trails south eyeballing all the vintage tin out west, wish i was ridein shotgun. shit im ready to say the hell with everything in newengland and head back west.

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:34 pm

Yes man, I forgot about that....we'll do that!

chebby wrote:When you get back from your adventure, hopefully victorious and in one piece, you MUST give me a little bio info and pics so I can get a page made about the infamous Neil and Tom Very Happy for our Meet the Members section...

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:35 pm

itruns wrote:You guys may want to make a detour to this place for lunch while out that way

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,251500.0.html

Oh ya baby! My kinda place!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:54 pm

Go down the tread a little : I see fat people everywhere LOL
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:40 pm

Neil and Tom's Excellent A100 Adventures! Man, I've gotta drive to Ottawa to meet you one day! Wish it was Arizona tomorrow! Good luck!

Great idea Chebby! I think Leadfoot should do a story in VanIn mag too! Wink

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:59 am

Here's the slant six, I hope it gets us down there and back!

Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure...part two! Img_0816

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:50 pm

Here's the wagon, ready to roll. New rear brake line, new fuel line, new fuel filter, oil, etc. Extra leaf added to one side on rear, some quick body work, tinted windows...it's looking like a real pimped ride...but don't be fooled, the frame is rotted and this will be its last journey before heaven.

Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure...part two! Volare10
    gotavan
    gotavan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by gotavan Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:51 pm

Is that a super six in the wagon? I'm not very informed on the Dodges, but I have an A-100 pickup here that has a super six in it, and I was told that the 2 barrel carb. has the throttle shaft turned 90 degrees to the standard "fallen over six" so my linkage has been altered?? Any Dodge folks know if this is true? Good luck with your adventure, I can't wait to hear about it.
    Neil and Tom's Arizona Adventure...part two! Supers10
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:17 pm

thats the difference between the standard slant six and the "super" six a two barrell carb. and as far as i know the throttle would be turned 90 degrees. some of the six cylinder vans had a cable i do belive. nate would know for sure i think. the only van i had with a six had some aftermarket cable gizmo in a box on the floor up under the pedal and i am quite sure was not a factory piece.
    the wagon looks freakin awsome and the trip is even wilder.
    hmmmmmm i could leave pei and be in ottawa in about 12 hours...............

Post by Guest Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:25 pm

Im dieing to hear more, these last 2 days are killing me.Its like a movie cliffhanger whats going to happen with Chewie is Han really ok in the carbonite, is their new hyper drive going to get the falcon running ok sorry geeken out
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by Kakster Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:03 pm

I am imagining a guy from a Volare Wagon enthusiasts web site googling "Volare" to find a link to our site then drooling over the above image of the motor donor and wondering how one could sacrifice such a fine vehicle for a VAN! If only they knew.

Post by Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:34 am

Well the Volare is really rusty underneath, frame is scary!

Well we made it to Phoenix! The Volare ran like a Queen the whole way. The only problem we had was a flat tire.

We got the neighbours engine lift, worked hard and got the motor out of the van, and the Volare motor partially ready to come out. Hopefully today we'll get 'er done!
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:26 am

Good to hear you made it there safe. Hope the rest of your project goes well.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:20 am

Great to hear you made it safe, and with little problems..

So, are you going to cart the old engine back, or does it stay in AZ?

The post just don't come fast enough...

flower PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS flower

Post by Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:48 am

I wish I could post photos, but not sure how on this computer (the sellers computer..he's a great guy, lets us use his computer and shower and everything)

We just got the motor out of the Volare, all looks well. I was worried about the center diameter of the crank but they look the same...so the new motor should just drop in. Lots of smog stuff to plug though...

When Mike gets home later, I'll see if we can hook my camera up to his computer and post some photos.. Thanks for all the support!

The Volare will be sold as scrap to a local...I've got a couple of phone numbers of guys that will haul it away for $100 or whatever.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:02 am

Glad you made it there OK , keep the posts coming!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:20 pm