VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
TheRealSpinner
dan nachel
66mnecotruck
7 posters

Radiator fan

66mnecotruck
    66mnecotruck

Number of posts : 327
    Registration date : 2014-02-15

Radiator fan Empty Radiator fan

Post by 66mnecotruck Wed May 07, 2014 3:04 pm

What's the best distance between the fan and the radiator?
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Radiator fan Empty Re: Radiator fan

Post by dan nachel Wed May 07, 2014 5:23 pm

As close as possable without touching, and use a shroud.
    TheRealSpinner
    TheRealSpinner

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2013-09-20

Post by TheRealSpinner Sun May 25, 2014 9:09 am

I've got a 302 in mine. It has the stock fan on the crank, and about a mile between it and the radiator (and NO shroud). I am looking to rectify this situation as soon as possible.

I think the radiator is stock, any suggestions as to an electric fan that might bolt up? I was planning on removing the stock fan to free up the motor a bit (and quiet it down some). As far as electrical hookup, I've got a temp guage, can I just splice into that for the fan switch?
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun May 25, 2014 11:56 am

This is my Taurus fan unit. It's from a Taurus wagon with A/C. The spacing between the water pump and back of motor may be a bit close, but so far so good. Radiator fan Best_f10Radiator fan Copy_o12Radiator fan Copy_o13 This fan keeps a 350 cool at 185 degrees. I also have a new 3 core radiator which I believe is a must for these old vans, as the original rad would not be adiquit to cool properly. Fan fits perfectly on the rad with abot 90% coverage. Hope this helps you out.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Mon May 26, 2014 10:12 am

Not sure how you missed it but have been posting about the Taurus two speed fan and shroud for a long time, surprised no one has chirped in,, LOL..
      I make the V8 cross members and have done quite a few.  Personally prefer the length of the stock 240 radiator for added cooling surface and then the old update of to a 4 row radiator.  Also use the short nosed water pump.
      The point I am talking about is that the Taurus fan comes with a shroud that fits the 240 radiator, puts out about 4,000 CFM and costs about $35 bucks,,,, or $18 bucks at half off sale.... As always I also insist on using the 3G alternator as it puts out 90 amps AT IDLE.  AT IDLE the most important part.
     The time that we over heat is when we are stuck in stop and go traffic, which is when the RPM speed is low and the stock alternator cannot put out enough amperage,,,  SO if you upgrade to the 3G it will keep up with ALL of your electrical needs at idle without having to sit with your foot on the gas pedal adding more heat,,,,  duh,,,,, If your alternator is not putting out enough to keep up with the fan then the CFM rating of the fan is useless as it will not be running at full speed anyways......................
      ALSO,,,, I have been using and remote fan cooled transmission cooler for over 15 years at least now,, and it greatly reduces the heat transfer load on the radiator itself.  Why RE introduce the heat back into an already compromised situation in the 1st place.
       vic

Radiator fan 100_1114

Radiator fan 100_1015
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2012-07-01

Post by Buzzard Tue May 27, 2014 7:33 pm

I'm running a old Org Ford flex fan off of a V8 engine useing a stock 240 radiator, the org spacer is about 3 inches long and I'm still about 2 inches away( no shroud ) I run about 195-200 in stop and go traffic and have never over heated yet. Sitting in garage and reving it Im blowing the leaves and grass clippings out from underneath my van. Just bought another one off of a old Lincoln V8 for $5.00 this weekend to give to (It Runs) to see if his V8 dodge runs any cooler. Picked up 2 Taurus fans last year for half price after reading Vics thread on keeping a V8 cool.Just need to make the relays and install fan (summer project??) and see if it runs any cooler
    TheRealSpinner
    TheRealSpinner

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2013-09-20

Post by TheRealSpinner Sat May 31, 2014 2:09 pm

This is all GREAT information. I watch my temp creep up to like 240 degrees in traffic. Once I start moving, it's fine, but…

I think I'll start looking for a Taurus fan. Is the temp switch usually included with the fan? Does the switch just mount through the radiator?
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:17 am

My problem is that I don't get enough air to the radiator at high speeds.
    Maybe I should have put the new aluminum 3 core radiator lower.
    Any suggestions on an air dam or scoop?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 12:54 am