VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

New guy.. Shopping a van and researching a plan.

FCC
    FCC

Number of posts : 295
    Registration date : 2014-04-29

New guy..  Shopping a van and researching a plan. Empty New guy.. Shopping a van and researching a plan.

Post by FCC Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:41 am

Hi all.  My wife and I are shopping a '67.  It has the 240 cu. in. six cylinder motor and a 4.10(11?) gear, per the current owner.  My plan is to potentially make the van as highway friendly as possible, while trying to keep the pep as best I can.   I literally just found this site last night, and due to the urgency of a pre-purchase learning crunch, I am hoping to learn exactly which AOD trans model will work with the motor, and what the availability is like.  I like in the Cincinnati area, so I should be able to scrounge something fairly easy.  
    I will learn the search function on this forum immediately.  But maybe someone can relate to me which AOD transmission I need to be searching for..?

We hope this purchase comes together.  Being that we love the older cars and bikes, a classic van will be right at home.  Hopefully, with a big 6, it can be a bit of a hauler as well.. If this happens, I will be a fervent regular around here. (I'm a top 10 poster on my car forum..)

Thanks in advance guys.

-Jason

New guy..  Shopping a van and researching a plan. E4B9A122-D348-4D2F-A429-A045D446E670-256-000000A09DABA518
    RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

New guy..  Shopping a van and researching a plan. Empty Re: New guy.. Shopping a van and researching a plan.

Post by RF Man Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:52 am

Welcome to the site. I too am fairly new here and I really can't speak to AOD trannys. My familiarity is more with the older stuff. Having said that. I am also into old BMW's and Honda motorcycles. I'm sure your heading in the right direction with a 67 van---last year and probably the best of the breed. I haven't been here long,but this seems to be a great forum. Everyone seems very non judgmental and friendly. Welcome
    Mike
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

New guy..  Shopping a van and researching a plan. Empty Re: New guy.. Shopping a van and researching a plan.

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:09 am

od trans- my 5 c's is the 1982 lincoln version -302 or 351w motor=trucks also. -best ones built-heaver duty than models before. will give u about a 28% reduction in final gear ratio . cheers 
    FCC
    FCC

Number of posts : 295
    Registration date : 2014-04-29

Post by FCC Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:25 am

Thank RF. What BMW's are you into?!

Twinpilot001, so you're saying that I should search for a 1982 lincoln AOD that was behind a 302/351Windsor, or any truck from that era with either of those motors?

Is there drive shaft shortening to be done?

If you know the name of a thread that answers all of this, or have a link, by all means just give me that. I don't want to be a PIA.

Thanks again guys!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:27 am

yes!! likely ds mods required. there are some here that will ring in that do this with econso soon too>
    RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Post by RF Man Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:00 am

FCC
    Off topic, but I used to have a 635 beammer. Really cool car. My wife and I both have Honda motorcycles.
    Mike
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Pretty sure an AOD should bolt right up to the 240, I believe you'll need to fabricate a crossmember for the transmission and have the drive shaft shortened. You'll need to buy an AOD flexplate for an 80's f-150 with a 300 and AOD. You'll also need the TV rod set up, best thing is likely to find an 80's f-150 with the 300 and AOD, take the carb and all the linkage including the tv rod to the transmission. Not sure what transmission is in the '67 now, but if it's a manual you'll need some sort of shifting arrangement.

I would also recomend you check cylinder compression of the motor and perform a leakdown test before purchase as a negotiating tactic and to know what you're getting into with the motors condition before you swap tranny's, may need a rebuild in which case, your best bet may be to find an 80's 300 with AOD and swap the whole shiterie in there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:36 am