VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Complete Suicide or a Good Plan?

Complete Suicide or a Good Plan? Empty Complete Suicide or a Good Plan?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:15 am

Hey Guys! Please give me some feedback or direction on this seemingly big project I just started. A year ago I bought a 1963 Econoline for 300 bucks. I've always wanted one for a daily driver! A mechanic/fabricator buddy told me that I should find an older (1993-1997) Ford Ranger truck and "we can just" put the entire Econoline body on the complete rolling chassis of the truck. I loved the idea! The awesomeness of the old Econoline with everything modern underneath (brakes, motor, rear end, etc, etc. seemed perfect for my goal of a daily driver. So with some resaerch and measuring, I pulled the trigger and got 96 Ranger in great shape for $1,000. Now I'm nervous. Questions... can this really be done nicely? Have I made a mistake? Has anyone done something like this before? Can I still keep my marriage? Please help me Obi One Kanobi. Thank you! Dallon

Last edited by dgs on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Complete Suicide or a Good Plan? Empty Re: Complete Suicide or a Good Plan?

Post by Magic Bus Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:19 am

Well let me be the first to say welcome to the board...Your among friends and crazies here...Anything is possible with a cutting torch and a welder...
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:30 am

I'm curious as to how that would work... I'm pretty sure that the engine for that truck is up front... and the driver and steering sit well behind the front axle... would be a bit odd to be driving the van from the middle of it.

whatever you do, post lots of pics. I'm sure many of us are curious. and while you figure this out, buy the wife flowers, weekly.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:32 pm

Welcome!

If you have to ask....Rolling Eyes
    Putting a frame under a unibody can be done.
    It's a ton of work, will require a lot of practical thinking and problem solving along the way and is going to cost a lot of time and probably a lot of money.
    As mentioned, the drivetrain placement is wrong, the driver location is wrong.
    Don't forget that the van floor is flat, while the Ranger frame has a front and rear kickup. There will have to be quality welding to mate the frame with the body, and there will be other issues.
    This is something that is brought up all the time in the rodding world; swapping a newer frame under an old body so all the modern stuff is fitted all at once. It is almost always a bad idea and a ton of work. It is almost always suggested by a person that has neither the tools, skills or experience to pull it off. This is when you are talking about a body that HAD a frame and swapping another frame. Expand that with the issue of adding a frame to a unibody, and it's going to be a huge undertaking.

Here are 3 pictures of an A-100 that someone was selling as an incomplete project. It had an S-10 chassis installed in it, according to the ad.
    There was a LOT of work to get it to this point, and a lot more to finish it.

Complete Suicide or a Good Plan? 3k93m63of5V45Z05P3a671ade31799d7215b1
    Complete Suicide or a Good Plan? 3n23m73le5V05O65U1a67888670b4393d1c9c
    Complete Suicide or a Good Plan? 3n33p43of5O55W55X3a67d564e66d21b41128

Post by Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:10 pm

Thank you very much for the feedback and pictures. I really appreciate it. We're gonna go for it, but I do realize it's going to be a big challenge. Let's see what we can pull off! I'm going to document everything and put together a blog with pictures and video for all those who are interested to see what happens. I will let you all know where to find it when it's set up. Thanks, Dallon
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:45 pm

dgs with any project there will be ups and downs and it always costs more than you think. I'm sure what you want to do can be done. With what your doing you will be entering a area most haven't done before. So advice will be mixed. I say go for it take your time do it right and give us pictures along the way. Your van could be the model for many others
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Why in the world would you want to trade the simplicity of the older vehicle with the crappy computers, sensors and emission system problems of a new vehicle? Just take the complete Ranger front in and fabricate the needed supports in front and install a larger rear end. Forget the frame. They both have live axle with leaf spring suspension in the rear. Install the the 302 with box modifications. Better yet ,get with Clifford Performance and build a 300 HP inline six cylinder that will blow away a 302 and get better fuel mileage to boot. This would cost you a whole lot less money with a whole lot less headaches.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:20 pm

I agree with Twday, you have made a huge mistake.. You better have a ton of money and many years worth of experience. You are going to run into problems every time you turn around. I have seen people put an Econoline body on a Bronco frame and then either scrap it or sell it. A Clifford straight 6 will outperform a stock 302 in every way and get better mileage to boot.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:53 am

Here's another guy who has built his own frame about half way down.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178391&page=77
    Take a look and see if this level of fab work is something you and your buddy are comfortable with...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:11 am