VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Valve Cover Noise

ThomastheTankVan
    ThomastheTankVan

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2014-03-13

Valve Cover Noise Empty Valve Cover Noise

Post by ThomastheTankVan Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:38 pm

After my van died due to voltage reg problems I figured I'd replace the leaky valve cover gasket. I already knew this engine was run on little oil do to burning on dipstick. And the valve cover was no different, very black; very gooey.

So I cleaned it up, scraped off the old RTV covered cork gasket, and scraped the block. I put a new gasket and spark plug tube seals as well.

And I've noticed a lifter sounding noise now. I can't recall hearing this before, or I could just be paranoid after seeing how dirty it was in there and I'm hearing to match my viewing. Haha.

Anyway to check or adjust something? Thanks.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Valve Cover Noise Empty Re: Valve Cover Noise

Post by jkr Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:07 pm

just like the insulation in your house when you remove the layer of crud from the inside of the valve cover you can hear more inside the engine than before. some people are happy to have the insulation to cover the wifes squeals of delight and passion........... LOL
    dodge A-108
    dodge A-108

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-11-22

Post by dodge A-108 Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:18 am

ThomastheTankVan wrote:After my van died due to voltage reg problems I figured I'd replace the leaky valve cover gasket. I already knew this engine was run on little oil do to burning on dipstick. And the valve cover was no different, very black; very gooey.

So I cleaned it up, scraped off the old RTV covered cork gasket, and scraped the block. I put a new gasket and spark plug tube seals as well.

And I've noticed a lifter sounding noise now. I can't recall hearing this before, or I could just be paranoid after seeing how dirty it was in there and I'm hearing to match my viewing. Haha.

Anyway to check or adjust something? Thanks.
    I would change the oil and filter. personally, I use Castrol GTX oil and a WIX brand filter. I would also add 8 ounces of a product called "marvel mystery oil". id also go with 10-40 weight oil. the ticking should clear up within a few miles. HOWEVER some earlier vintage slant 6s have an adjustable valve train. did you notice if the rocker arms had screws ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:38 pm