VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
Old Skool
mark-t
Barnabas
66mnecotruck
econopoor
Bruce67Econoline
RF Man
11 posters

Spring Special Pickups

RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Spring Special Pickups Empty Spring Special Pickups

Post by RF Man Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:54 am

Hi Everyone---I'm brand new to the forum and just introduced myself a couple of days ago. I recently purchased 2 Econo Pickups---a 61 and a 65. Well after running the numbers, it turns out the 65 is a Spring Special. I was initially going to use it for a parts/donor truck for the 61. After reading about the 65 Specials, I wonder how rare are these things. The truck is somewhat rusty along the bottom of the body, but other than that, it probably could be restored. Previous owner had converted it to a V8 with C4. Numbers show this truck produced in June 1965. The original drivetrain is gone---would have been a 170 six,3 speed, with 7.5 rear end. It's a red truck---unfortunately, the side trim is gone.
    Just wondering--maybe I should'nt be so frisky to scrap it out. I'm new to econo's, so not real versed in there values. What do you guys think?

THX Mike
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Spring Special Pickups Empty Re: Spring Special Pickups

Post by Bruce67Econoline Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:05 pm

Save them both!!!
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:13 pm

The Spring Special is one of the most desired of all the pickups. If it can be saved by all means save it. you can find trim. The 61-64 Club wagon van had the same trim. Just use the left side pieces on the right on a pickup. The 61 and 62 are the least desirable. I'm much rather have the latter truck. Nobody is building new ones. Save everything you can.

Duane in Tennessee.
    66mnecotruck
    66mnecotruck

Number of posts : 327
    Registration date : 2014-02-15

Post by 66mnecotruck Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:15 pm

http://econolineid.com/production.shtml

Wow, lucky you!! Were all the holes running down the side filed in?
    RF Man
    RF Man

Post by RF Man Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:36 pm

It seems to be pretty much original on the outside. The paint is really weather checked--could of had 1 re-paint. The trim holes are still there---trim is gone. Tail gate is in poor shape. I usually restore one car a year as a hobby---been doing it for years. I always like to buy a second vehicle to use as a parts unit. I recently ran across a guy that had 4 of these things. I bought 2 and another guy bought 2. We each got a 61 and a 65. My 61 is really clean--no rust at all. I really wasn't even looking for econo pickups for my next project. I just couldn't pass on the deal I got. Like I said, I'm not really an econo expert so I had no idea of what I was getting. I got them home last week and ran the numbers---the 65 is definitely a Spring Special. If these things are rare, then I'll not be chopping it up. I'll try to get some pics up real soon.
    THX Mike
    66mnecotruck
    66mnecotruck

Number of posts : 327
    Registration date : 2014-02-15

Post by 66mnecotruck Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:37 pm

Were you able to open the link I sent? It has all econoline production numbers.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:40 pm

Spring Specials are worth whatever it takes to save them. Patch panels for the rockers are available. Roughly about 2200 SS' were built give or take a couple hundred. Nobody knows for sure as Ford did not record the numbers on them. Most were 170 three speed trucks. They were painted Poppy Red if a color wasn't specified in the order. Poppy Red being a special color meant the dash cluster was painted white. You could order one in any Ford color. The 65-67 truck are better because they have a thicker frame. Better engine mounts, Bigger doghouse, Better seats. Better heater. Better bumper, You can bolt a 240 into one. Just lots of better stuff.

61 Econolines came with the little 144 six cyl engine. Non sycro trans, Weak engine mounts. Weak trans mount. Small doghouse. No trans hump, thin frame, and they built about 26,000 of them.

Lots of benefits to the 65 SS. Even if you don't want to restore it, pass it along to somebody that does.

Duane in Tennessee
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:15 pm

It is always good to restore, but you have to make that decision.
    We estimate there were about 2000 of these Spring Specials built.

More rare would be a Spring Special with a paint color other than Poppy Red. There have been a handful.
    Rare too would be a pickup truck made during the Spring Special months that is not a Spring Special.

A 1966 or 1967 pickup could be just as rare because they did not make many.

More rare would be display vans, 8-door vans, and no-door vans.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:35 pm

Barnabas, The rarest one I've ever found was a 65 three window, 240 auto, Narrow trim built right in the middle of Spring Special production. So far it's the only 65 pickup on record with narrow trim. I could have bought it and passed. It was built for a Ford dealers delivery truck here in Tennessee. Regret that one.

Duane in Tennessee
    mark-t
    mark-t

Number of posts : 185
    Registration date : 2013-09-16

Post by mark-t Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:26 pm

econopoor wrote:Barnabas, The rarest one I've ever found was a 65 three window, 240 auto, Narrow trim built right in the middle of Spring Special production. So far it's the only 65 pickup on record with narrow trim. I could have bought it and passed. It was built for a Ford dealers delivery truck here in Tennessee. Regret that one.

Duane in Tennessee
    that one sounds like a winner all day
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:09 pm

The 61 has the thinnest frame gauge of any and the one that is most often cracked up front between the spring perches.  You better be very good with a mig if you dont want to chase holes when welding. 
      The 65 is ten times the truck that a 61 can ever be and the only difference from a 65 to a 67 is the back up lights, the e flasher column and the master cylinder. ALL of those will bolt in the 65.  You are way ahead using the 65 if there is any way possible.....  Go get em champ,,,
    Vic
    Ddavllc
    Ddavllc

Number of posts : 127
    Registration date : 2013-11-07

Post by Ddavllc Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Hey Vic
    Where are the back up lights mounted on the 65-67---- Do you have one for sale???

Don
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by Donn Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:23 pm

econopoor wrote:Spring Specials are worth whatever it takes to save them. Patch panels for the rockers are available. Roughly about 2200 SS' were built give or take a couple hundred. Nobody knows for sure as Ford did not record the numbers on them. Most were 170 three speed trucks. They were painted Poppy Red if a color wasn't specified in the order. Poppy Red being a special color meant the dash cluster was painted white. You could order one in any Ford color. The 65-67 truck are better because they have a thicker frame. Better engine mounts, Bigger doghouse, Better seats. Better heater. Better bumper, You can bolt a 240 into one. Just lots of better stuff.

61 Econolines came with the little 144 six cyl engine. Non sycro trans, Weak engine mounts. Weak trans mount. Small doghouse. No trans hump, thin frame, and they built about 26,000 of them.

Lots of benefits to the 65 SS. Even if you don't want to restore it, pass it along to somebody that does.

Duane in Tennessee
    Duane,

Do you if the 63 has the same frame as the 61 ? mine its very thin to the point that I want to box the whole front to better handle the v8
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:37 pm

Do you if the 63 has the same frame as the 61 ? mine its very thin to the point that I want to box the whole front to better handle the v8
    Donn, The first time the frame was changed was mid year 63 with the Heavy Duty option. They went to about .120. All standard frames stayed at about .050. In 65 all standard frames went to about .070. Heavy Duty and Supervans all remained at .120

If your 63 isn't a HD then it still has the thin frame. Not sure by what you mean by boxing your frame. It's boxed from the factory. That's what the floor panels do.

Duane in Tennessee
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:03 pm

iirc, from what I've read here 61-63 was the thinnest, 64 was a little thicker, and 65-67 was thicker still.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Talk to Old Skool for the wide trim stuff and the fasteners for the trim Ted Johns ... he has likely a source for his wide trim on his p/u ... I sent some down to Ted and then to Old Skool a while back ... just parts ... and nothing perfect. Those guys know their stuff ... I just a beginner ...
    RF Man
    RF Man

Post by RF Man Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:41 am

Thanks for all the input guys. The 1961 I got has the 4100 GVW rating. Does that make it a Heavy Duty?

THX Mike
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by Donn Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:51 am

econopoor wrote:Do you if the 63 has the same frame as the 61 ? mine its very thin to the point that I want to box the whole front to better handle the v8
    Donn, The first time the frame was changed was mid year 63 with the Heavy Duty option. They went to about .120. All standard frames stayed at about .050. In 65 all standard frames went to about .070. Heavy Duty and Supervans all remained at .120

If your 63 isn't a HD then it still has the thin frame. Not sure by what you mean by boxing your frame. It's boxed from the factory. That's what the floor panels do.

Duane in Tennessee

I am going to remove my cab floor and going to basically build a box over the original frame. With a brace between the two. I should have done this when I originally did the floor but did not. The floor does make it boxed but the frame is so thin that I jacked up the truck once and the jack went through the frame. This is going to be my winter project next year.
    steve r
    steve r

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2014-03-30

Post by steve r Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:26 am

Just joined the site, I as well have a spring special vin# E10TH701683 Poppy red the pickup was originally sold in Seattle WA
    Nice shape, the body/tailgate are straight all trim and glass are in good condition it has the normal rust in the side panels, and where the tail gate hinges mount. has a 300 six and auto trans
    I have found the body side panels I am looking for door hinges and passably the rear section where the tail gate hinges mount . The drivers door top hinge is worn badly as well.

Thank you
    Steve Rogers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 12:20 pm