VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Spring Special

Oscarm
    Oscarm

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2014-05-06

Spring Special Empty Spring Special

Post by Oscarm Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:10 am

In search of Econoline trivia: I have a nice "Spring Special" E100 pickup, and it's original color is Wimbleton White. Anyone else out there have a factory white SS, or is it just Clarke Andrews and I ?
    Anyone know how many white ones were made ?
    I gotta git a grip, I think it's the lousy weather....
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Spring Special Empty Re: Spring Special

Post by econopoor Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:29 am

Hi Oscarm,
    Do you have Ken's old Spring Special?

With Ford not keeping records on spring special production I doubt you will ever get an accurate number on white ones. Have you asked Jay Long over at Econosrus yahoo group? He keeps a registry of Econoline VINs and has well over two hundred Spring Specials on record. He could probably give a fair estimate based off of those figures. Best guess has SS production at 2200-2500 and most were delivered in Poppy Red as I'm sure you know. Poppy Red was the default color. If no color was specified on the order form then Poppy Red it was. So, by this we know that any Spring Special painted a different color took filling out an order form. This usually included other options as well. Automatics, 240s, Better gearing. So this means to get a different color on SS's you had to ask for it. Not many people asked for Spring Specials as they weren't advertised to the public. It was a dealer incentive. Meant to boost sales. That's why they came painted Poppy Red. It was an eye catching color that attracted attention, to get people on the sales floor. So a Spring Special in any other color took some effort and a little inside knowledge to get.

I have a 67 pickup that came from Ford in Vintage Burgundy. Being a special order color Ford didn't keep up with the production numbers or how many they built. It just fell into the special order file. I'd like to know how many came painted Vintage Burgundy as I have only seen just a few of them over the years.

Duane in Tennessee
    Oscarm
    Oscarm

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2014-05-06

Spring Special Empty Paint

Post by Oscarm Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:13 pm

Yep, I've got Ken's old SS. The owner between Ken and I, used it as a 'towed' vehicle behind a vintage '40's highway coach, that had been converted to a motor home.
    My SS is currently 'skin and bones' awaiting a 5 Liter Mustang engine and a total restoration.
    Ken did a good job on the previous version, but (sinfully), I'm doing it as a 'Resto-Mod'.
    Will follow up on your 'Econosaurus' suggestion and see if I can track down other 'White SS'
    owners...I like vehicle history stuff.
    The finished product will still be white, but not the murky Wimbledon white. Plan is to have it on the road in the spring (A 'Spring Special' !)
    Spent 2 days last week getting the glue and weatherstripping off of the doors (Ken did a great job, and I didn't have kind words for him!).... Smile)
    The body will be well restored, and unmodified, so the purists here won't be too upset with me.
    I'll post pictures when it's done.
    Now, who else has a white one ?

econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:01 pm

I got to meet Ken and see his pickup at Carlisle a few years ago. He had it for sale then. Nice truck. I wouldn't have mind owning myself. Glad to see it's still around. Keep us posted on your progress. Looking forward to it.

Duane in Tennessee

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:50 am