VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Door Lock Cylinders

lws67
    lws67

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Door Lock Cylinders  Empty Door Lock Cylinders

Post by lws67 Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:44 am

I've only had a working drivers side lock cylinder that worked, and that finally went kaput. I'm well aware that finding replacements is next to impossible if you don't feel like spending a fortune, but in searching for something I came up with ones that look similar on the exterior, but the mechanical workings are definitely different. But maybe things could be modified to work? Anyone dealt with lock cylinders that fit Chrysler Imperials from the mid 60's??

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-Motor-Products-DL11-Door-Lock-Cylinder-Set-/121273876625?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1965|Make%3AChrysler&hash=item1c3c7c8091&vxp=mtr[/url]

Door Lock Cylinders  Kgrhqv12

Door Lock Cylinders  T2ec1611
    jfox
    jfox

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2011-05-20

Door Lock Cylinders  Empty Re: Door Lock Cylinders

Post by jfox Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:39 am

I bought a set of the cheapo ones off ebay that are listed for A100's. The bodies are to big to fit in the stock holes so i just swapped out the pins/springs and key from the new cylinders to my old. Total cost...35$ and now i have 4 original locks that work. The ones you posted look to big(diameter) behind the trim plate.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:37 am

fox nice idea there....

Post by lws67 Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:41 am

jfox wrote:I bought a set of the cheapo ones off ebay that are listed for A100's. The bodies are to big to fit in the stock holes so i just swapped out the pins/springs and key from the new cylinders to my old. Total cost...35$ and now i have 4 original locks that work. The ones you posted look to big(diameter) behind the trim plate.

I too swapped pins and springs on the drivers side,but now the slotted plate and flap are shagged and I can't even get my key in, like the rest of them. Maybe someone will reproduce these too one day
    lws67
    lws67

Post by lws67 Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:41 am

Another thought, if all one had to do is enlarge the holes in the sheet metal so the larger bodies would fit by using a dremel or similar? And then finding cylinders is no problem, and much cheaper? Once they're in what's the difference?

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:06 pm

jfox wrote:I bought a set of the cheapo ones off ebay that are listed for A100's. The bodies are to big to fit in the stock holes so i just swapped out the pins/springs and key from the new cylinders to my old. Total cost...35$ and now i have 4 original locks that work. The ones you posted look to big(diameter) behind the trim plate.

Hey jfox I too am having the same issue. Can you maybe explain how to switch out the internals? I been scratching my head over it.

tower9
    tower9

Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2014-01-03

Post by tower9 Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:00 pm

I also bought a set of the internet that were supposed to work for the A100s but the cylinder was bigger then the OG. What I ended up doing was taking the new ones to locksmith to have them keyed the same as the others then I used a dremel to slowly open up the hole in the sheet metal enough to get them in. I also had to elongate the hole in the rear plate that locking mech. hooks to to get that to be aligned. I just worked at it slowly and tried the cylinder often until it would go in. The diameter of the face of the lock and the diameter of the lock cylinder itself is only a slight diff. so there isn't much margin for error when enlarging the hole and not making it too big.
    jfox
    jfox

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2011-05-20

Post by jfox Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:26 pm

[/quote]Hey jfox I too am having the same issue. Can you maybe explain how to switch out the internals? I been scratching my head over it.

[/quote]
    sure...start with the cheap set and remove the spring cap cover
    Door Lock Cylinders  Unname14
    once removed remove the springs and pins one at a time. I did this by keeping my finger over 4 of the five hole removing them one at a time. Be sure to beep them in order.
    Door Lock Cylinders  Unname15
    Door Lock Cylinders  Unname16
    Once removed swap them over to your oem. Hope this helps. Mine have been in for a year now with out issue. I did start with decent original bodies though.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:30 pm

ah i see. the front plate inside is f'd on mine. Dont think this will cut it.
    thanks so much for this!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 3:49 pm