VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

How to remove column shift arm?

bubbafrye
    bubbafrye

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2011-11-05

How to remove column shift arm? Empty How to remove column shift arm?

Post by bubbafrye Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:10 am

Hey guys, I decided to do a little touch up paint on my turn signal and shift arms.

The turn signal arm and screws out just fine, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the shift arm off.  There are two spring loaded pins where the shifter connects to the collar, and they compress easily.

Am I just not pushing the pins in far enough to release? This is one of those times where a third arm comes in handy.  

Thanks.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

How to remove column shift arm? Empty Re: How to remove column shift arm?

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:26 am

Third arm helps. Push both pins in all the way and jiggle and pull til it comes out. A vice may help also if the column is out of vehicle. Once the shift arm is out the tube will come off.
    bubbafrye
    bubbafrye

Post by bubbafrye Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks Tim. I'm just painting the arm for now, so the column is still in the van.

I'll see if my 3-year-old 'assistant' will be helpful.
    bubbafrye
    bubbafrye

Post by bubbafrye Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:50 pm

Thanks again Tim.

Forgive what might be a bonehead question, but when you say "the tube will come off", what do you mean? Do I need to secure anything before I remove the arm?

Once I remove the arm, will it pop back in as easily? I don't mind digging in a bit, but the van is my daily driver, and I'll need to be back together and on the road tomorrow.

Thanks (as always) for all of the good info.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:05 pm

I've only taken them apart ,never reassembled any oddly enuf. The shift arm locks the shift tube to the cup that houses the turn signal switch. Gotta remove the arm to sepearte the shift arm from the column tube cup. The arm should pop right back in. Just be careful not to loose the springs when you separate the pieces. They will pop out if you don't stop them.
    bubbafrye
    bubbafrye

Post by bubbafrye Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:15 pm

Thanks Tim. I'll keep an eye on the springs.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:26 pm

Been rebuilding them for years and you obviously have a 67.  The two retent pins push outwards with a spring and hold the shift arm into the shifting tube. The end of the shifter riding in a hole in the shift support that is riveted into the upper steering column bowl.
      In order to remove anything, the shifter needs to come out as it also goes into that shift support that is riveted into the bowl.
     When I install the shifters I put a little white grease inside the shift tube that the shifter and its insulator go into firstly. Then I make sure that the detent hole that the shifter end goes into and pivots from is visible and lined up in the shift tube. That way the shifter itself can go in all the way.
      Then I wipe some white grease into the shift tube and install the spring and the two detents into the shifter and hold them flush. Then, install the shifter carefully holding the two detents UNTIL you get them to go in the shift tube and let go of them. The shifter will slide in and the spring will push the two detents into their holes.
      I use a sawzall blade or the same as and push one of the detents in and then twist the shifter handle a little in order for to hold it in and then also push the 2nd one in at the same time pulling the shifter out at the same time. I do them all the time and have extra parts if you send one flying across the shop,,, LOL...
    vic

How to remove column shift arm? 000_0411

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:25 pm