VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Twinpilot001
Gileadgarage
tower9
7 posters

Left hand threaded lug nut location

tower9
    tower9

Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2014-01-03

Left hand threaded lug nut location Empty Left hand threaded lug nut location

Post by tower9 Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:12 pm

I have a 67 A108 and it was my understanding that the entire left (drivers) side of the vehicle had the left hand thread wheel lugs. My particular vehicle has front passenger side left hand thread lugs and drivers side rear with left hand thread? So basically opposite corners; the drivers side front and passenger side rear are right hand thread? . Is that how it would have been originally? Has anyone ever come across something like that? Just wondering if that is particularly odd?
    Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-09-11

Left hand threaded lug nut location Empty Re: Left hand threaded lug nut location

Post by Gileadgarage Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:30 pm

I read about some similar situations with the LH threads corner to corner or left to right, some vans only have one wheel like that, etc, you are not alone. I can't imagine they would sell them like this, but maybe they actually did?

Yes it is strange, but does not really matter as long as you know when removing wheels.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Left hand threaded lug nut location Empty Re: Left hand threaded lug nut location

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:12 pm

dodge & chrysler -did that!! affraid 
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:24 pm

I think someone just mixed up the front drums,,,,,,lefts go on the left side,,,,,,until someone with an air gun strips them and you convert them over to a right hand thread,,,,,
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:30 pm

I'm with you on this don.

Number of posts : 78
    Registration date : 2013-02-10

Post by 67Dodger Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:05 am

donivan65 wrote:I think someone just mixed up the front drums,,,,,,lefts go on the left side,,,,,,until someone with an air gun strips them and you convert them over to a right hand thread,,,,,

YES! Left ONLY on the LEFT side. RIGHT only on the RIGHT side.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:57 am

its one of chrys stupid ideas that the left side wheels wouldn't come loose with left handed thread. it was some seat warmer that never worked on a car that came up with that one, !!
    67Dodger
    67Dodger

Number of posts : 78
    Registration date : 2013-02-10

Post by 67Dodger Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:50 am

dodge man wrote:its one of chrys stupid ideas that the left side wheels wouldn't come loose with left handed thread. it was some seat warmer that never worked on a car that came up with that one, !!
    It was not only Chrysler......years ago when knockoff wheel hubs were popular they HAD to have right and left matching, otherwise the wheel would unscrew itself. I actually had it happen to me once in my MGA roadster. I replaced the right hub with a left one. BIG MISTAKE! The knockoff unscrewed itself and the wheel fell off in the middle of an intersection. So....to make a long story short, there IS logic to it.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:59 am

I agree 100% on knock off wheels, they sure could fall off, but not 5 lug wheels

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:28 am