VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
Hemi A-100
wylee
benwah
RipVanArkie
G-Man
9 posters

Left hand threaded wheel studs on Drivers side?

Left hand threaded wheel studs on Drivers side? Empty Left hand threaded wheel studs on Drivers side?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:41 am

So my A108 has left handed threaded studs on the drivers side wheels... is this normal?

Left hand threaded wheel studs on Drivers side? Empty Re: Left hand threaded wheel studs on Drivers side?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:53 am

after a little search I guess it is normal. Whacky.

its a long story.... I'm putting these on the van:
    Left hand threaded wheel studs on Drivers side? 92558941_R

the hubs are too big to fit through the wheel holes, so I need to mount them on the top of the wheel, the problem then is that the angled lug nuts dont reach into the holes in the wheels and lock them in good on the studs. I've found some lug nuts with a short shank and an angled seat:

Left hand threaded wheel studs on Drivers side? 79342404
    http://www.gmtuercas.com/MEDIUM_MAG_W_ATT_WASHER-WHEEL_NUTS_AND_STUDS_1-.html

sigh... just trying to make it all work.

Left hand threaded wheel studs on Drivers side? Empty Re: Left hand threaded wheel studs on Drivers side?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:00 pm

here is what it all looks like on the van....

Left hand threaded wheel studs on Drivers side? Vanwithspinners
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:18 pm

The first Mopar I had when I was 16 was a 66 Fury (land barge) cool car. Well not know alot about cars then I had a flat tire on the drivers side. Well being more strong than smart back then I broke 2 of the studs before someone told me they were left hand thread. When did they stop doing that Mopar guy's???

Choptop the spinners look great!!!!
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:15 pm

Not sure when they stopped, but they were doing it in the 40's. I think VW's were the same way.

Nice looking A!

Later,
    Rip
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:36 pm

pretty sure all cars n trucks were like that till 70-72?
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:18 pm

Mopars and VW's at least, no GM or FoMoCo's. The thought was that forward wheel rotation would not cause the studs/nuts to back out/off if they were a reverse thread. I've had a few Plymouth/Chrysler cars from the 40's that had bolts instead of nuts.

2013 MidSouth Econoline Meet
    Host of the MidSouth Econoline Meet, Petit Jean State Park, AR
    1967 Econoline Pickup
    1966 Econoline Supervan
    1967 Econoline 8-door regular van
    1965 ChevyVan, Cargo, 250/3speed

1964 Econoline 8-door Window Van, 4spd
    1966 Falcon SuperVan, Automatic
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:04 am

i think 1970 before that all had left hand threads. after 70 they went ritehand, thats how mopar did it. why? so ford and chevy could not steel the wheels. lol lol lol lol ....... just joking.......
    Hemi A-100
    Hemi A-100

Number of posts : 255
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by Hemi A-100 Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:06 am

Choptop that is a killer van you got there man!!! I remember taking the wheels off my A-100 for the first time and thinking "WTF"... No more left hand studs on my A-100 only the guy driving it.... HAHAHAHAH, kidding!!!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:49 am

My Mom's old 67 Chrysler Newport had that... I stripped three of them trying to change a flat tire back when I was 15 and didn't know these things!
    69 a 100
    69 a 100

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2009-01-03

Post by 69 a 100 Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:12 pm

mine had reverse therd on the left side, chrysler did it for a long time
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:16 pm

last year was 1970 for most.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:55 pm

At least you were lucky and didn't break a bunch off before realizing they were lefty's. Laughing When I got my '68 van they had a bunch broke off on it and I changed them all over to rights when I did the brakes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:07 am