VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Rust Products

1969futura
    1969futura

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2013-11-18

Rust Products Empty Rust Products

Post by 1969futura Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:42 am

I have the floors cut out of my 61 Pickup and want to work on cleaning everything below and protecting it before I weld the new pans in. I have read many of posts regarding rust products and which ones are best. I came across a product called Rust Bullet and haven't found many reviews on it,  although it seems to be a bit on the expensive side ($35 a pint). I am not looking to spend a fortune and I am not building a show car, but I want to do it once and not have to worry about it in the future. I am removing the rust everywhere I can get to, but there may be some hard to reach areas that I am not able to completely clean. Does anyone know of this product or have any experience with it? I have read some other posts about Purple Power de-ruster that has my attention as the price seems to be more my speed. Sorry, I know this topic is beat to death, but there are always new products claiming to be the cure. I am not afraid of putting in the work to do it right, I just don't want to have to go back and waste time and money doing it a second time.  confused 

Thanks,

Tim
    back2thewoods
    back2thewoods

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Rust Products Empty Re: Rust Products

Post by back2thewoods Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:48 am

tim I used por 15 with great results
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:25 pm

The one thing about por-15 is you need to top coat it or the UV rays will make it gray out.I learned the hard way.
    back2thewoods
    back2thewoods

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by back2thewoods Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:35 pm

yes, you need to follow directions, and apply a topcoat.i had used it on a section of my roof on my old 64 no-door where some surface rust had been then shot whole roof with liquid bedliner, looked like a vinyl top,aged well in the elements.
    millwright71
    millwright71

Number of posts : 531
    Registration date : 2012-05-28

Post by millwright71 Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:03 pm

I have used Rust Bullet with great results. It actually uses the rust to bond with the steel and seals all oxygen out to stop further rusting. The frame for my 57 Chevy is painted with it, and has been sitting for 5 years waiting for me to reassemble it, nothing on it, and the finish still looks good. The only bad thing about using it is that you need to only get out of the can as much as you need right at the moment. Opening the entire can means air gets to the product, and it starts reacting. I am not promoting this product, just passing on my experience with it.

Tom
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:47 pm

Did the same with my pickup por15 works great, as said above follow the directions.. it's some work doing all 3 steps but worth it in the end. Por15 is also some $ , you get what you pay for.
    1969futura
    1969futura

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2013-11-18

Post by 1969futura Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:09 am

Thanks for the feedback all!! There are so many reviews on the popular products, some good some bad, and it is difficult to tell if the bad reviews are because of user error. Thanks again, it will come in handy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:01 pm