VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Nightmoves
G-Man
wacko
Vanish
8 posters

Is it worth it?

Is it worth it? Empty Is it worth it?

Post by Guest Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:12 am

Hi, I'm new to the forum and thinking about taking my first plunge into a project van. I heard of a 64 or 65 Chevy van for sale in Western New York. The body looks very good and apparently it was found in a barn and has a very nice frame and body. It is missing a windshield and driveshaft and has not been started in an unknown amount of time. The engine does not look to be original. It might be a newer straight 6 with an accel distributor. Does this seem as if it is worth the $1000 the guy is asking? I just don't want to pass this up if it seems like it will be too difficult to find another van in this area. Help me van gods.

Thanks!
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Is it worth it? Empty Re: Is it worth it?

Post by Vanish Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:20 am

woodyvan64... First WELCOME IN ...... GREAT TO HAVE YA HERE WITH US .......... I would say that if it has Been stored in a Barn... and it's Not a Complete Rust Bucket .. Hell Yes it's worth it ..... But I have seen Vans in your Part of the Country That are Pretty Torn Back.... Gotta really Look it Over.........

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:23 am

Woody ... I would save them all if I could ...... LOL.............

Post by Guest Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:30 am

Thanks guys,

I've priced a windshield and spoke to someone about the driveshaft and it seems like both could be done for around $500 or so. It seemed to me that if the body and frame are as good as the guy says, it might be worth it. I'm gonna go look at it Monday, I'll let you know what the outcome is.
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by wacko Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:09 am

Try and take some pics and post them. We love pictures.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:23 am

woody, me in the mid west and you being on the east coast the body is the key for us. Bad motor who cares they are cheap. Body work is 5 times the costs as replacing a motor. I would like some pic's too, but I say buy it because it sounds like a deal. Welcome to the forums
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:52 am

First off,Welcome to the forum!Great bunch of helpfull folks in here with all kinds of knowledge and glad to help.They edjumacte me quite a bit.
    First generations are evidently gettin harder to find,especially in the East,and with a decent body.As the others have said above,body is the main thing.There are a couple of companys in Ohio that make patch panels.if needed.Every thing else is bolt in or bolt on.People in here keep each other informed on stuff for sale all the time.
    You did'nt say if it was a no door,panel,or windowvan.Sometimes that makes a difference to a buyer,or just a matter of personal preference.
    Pictures are worth a 1000 words,or in your case,bucks.Ha!But if were me,and it was a 1st gen,no door or panel,good body shell,I'd probably jump on it and worry about bolt on later.Just my nicklels worth.Post some pics if ya can.

Post by Guest Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:44 am

Here are the seller's pictures. There is some rot on the side door bottom and the back door, but from these pictures, it looks very workable. I'm a woodworker and I have friends that are blacksmiths and welders. My mechanic is also willing to do custom work. I feel like I have some good resources and one of use should be able to come up with something.

Is it worth it? Van112
    Is it worth it? Van211
    Is it worth it? Van311
    Is it worth it? Van411
    mcfly
    mcfly

Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2008-11-10

Post by mcfly Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:04 pm

Looks like a keeper !!!!

Post by Guest Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:19 pm

Not too shabby. Great score!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:56 pm

I would buy it!!! I think I have seen this van before???
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:03 pm

Welcome Woody,
    Think I saw this one on eBay last year. The windsheild id not really a big issue. Any automotive glass shop can cut one for you. Not sure about the the drive shaft. You might want to send Donivan, Vanagan and Hywaychild on the shaft. One of them may very well have one laying around.

Again, welcome to the show and would love to see pic's as your van progresses...

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Is it worth it? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:18 pm

Looks like alot of van for the money.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:57 pm

Welcome...$2000 is a steal! I see one bad door bottom. If I was there, I'd beg, borrow or steal to get it! Rims are worth at least $200, looks like bodywork was already started as it's jambed... I hope you already have bought it... Dang!

Post by Guest Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:43 pm

Ok, so I went to look at the van today. For the most part, the body is in good shape, except for the side door bottoms and bottom of the rear door and some grandma dings. Someone installed a moonroof and a little hatch in the rear of the roof. However, one thing the guy didn't mention was the bondo corner. The passenger side rear corner was a complete bondo patch or at least appeared that way. The interior is completely disassembled (dash/gauges/seats/wires everywhere). This was definitely a mid-way restoration dismissal. The underside did look pretty good. For the right person, I would say this would be a perfect project van. Just more than I'm interested in getting into now. Here is the actual Craigslist ad. If anyone here can make this van the beauty she should be, I say have at it and post the pics so I can kick myself later, hahaha!

http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/1012934677.html
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:31 pm

Well maybe this isn't your van, it will find you be sure of that. What are you looking to spend???

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 6:20 pm