VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

I I have to hold the column in 2nd.

Heck
    Heck

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2014-01-14

I I have to hold the column in 2nd. Empty I I have to hold the column in 2nd.

Post by Heck Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:06 pm

If I don't hold it up,it pops into neutral.
    Got a sweet deal from a dude in the high desert,he told me If I needed help...to go here.
    Cool site.
    66 'A100'.
    Slow as hell,looks good though.
    Yea,worthless without pics.
    Workin on it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

I I have to hold the column in 2nd. Empty Re: I I have to hold the column in 2nd.

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:30 pm

You need to see if the transmission is actually going all the way into 2nd gear,,,,,,,so unhook the 2nd and 3rd gear rod at the transmission, see if both levers on the trans are tight,,,,,,,,move the lever on the trans by hand,,,,,see if the detents are holding,,,,,you should feel some clicking as you move the lever from 3rd to neutral to 2nd and the lever should kind of stick in each of those positions and not move easily from 2nd to neutral,,,,,,so see what you got,,,,,then push the rod all the way forward which makes the gearshift lever go into 2nd and see if it lines up when you shift the trans lever is in 2nd,,,,,you are comparing the gearshift lever in 2nd gear to the transmission being in 2nd gear,,,,see if they are in adjustment....worn out motor and transmission mount will also cause the trans to pull itself out of gear......
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

I I have to hold the column in 2nd. Empty Re: I I have to hold the column in 2nd.

Post by RodStRace Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:59 am

Yep, what he said.
    First, check the trans to see if it's fully engaging and stays in gear all by itself. Then check the linkages for play and correct adjustment. Then the shift arms at the bottom of the steering column.
    You will probably find a bunch of small issues that all add up to the symptom you have. Fix as many as you can and recheck.
    BTW, the 3 speeds are not very popular, so if the trans is bad, look for a good used one. It will be cheaper than fixing yours.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:19 am

The best thing you can do is block the tires and have some one go thru the gears while you are underneath watching everything , operator saying 1st gear, 2nd gear 3rd gear and reverse this way you can fully understand what you are looking at , go thru the gears over and over then proceed with every thing Don and Rod spoke about,

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2014-03-23

Post by Gordon_M Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:26 am

Linkage, mounts, and selectors. On some of my Dodge ( non-A100 ) stuff any slight bend in the driveshaft or internal transmission shafts will tend to make the box work its way into neutral

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:45 pm