VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Vantasia
donivan65
64vanatic
7 posters

exhuast fumes

64vanatic
    64vanatic

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2009-10-03

exhuast fumes Empty exhuast fumes

Post by 64vanatic Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Hey all,

question, is there any tips or way of keeping exhuast fumes from coming in pop out windows at stops? If theres not then im taking them out in favor of fixed glass or no windows. Thanks for any advise you can give.

troy
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

exhuast fumes Empty Re: exhuast fumes

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:46 pm

I would tape up each window one at a time, to see if that is where the exhaust is actually coming in from,,,,,,,
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Rear or side windows? where is your exhaust pipe exiting under the body? Maybe re-route pipe to rear if its a side window? Doghouse lid sealing 100%?

Last edited by jbass62 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:22 pm

There are several places for fumes to come in. Like Don said , start by eliminating the windows
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:12 am

Are your rear windows popouts? My van has pop outs in the rear and I get a slight whiff of exhaust pulling away from a stop but nothing at idle or running down the road. I'm fine with it because it is very slight. I'd say the reason mine is so slight is that I have side-pipes so my exhaust isn't coming right out the back where it can be sucked back inside by the natural airflow.

My wife has an 03 Sequoia that has sliding rear glass, same deal with that, if you crack the rear glass it sucks exhaust back inside going down the road.

If you don't have fancy exhaust tips or anything you might want to have it piped out in front of the rear tire. In GA the rear pop-outs are a god send, plenty of airflow going down the road, otherwise the 90+ temps are too much to stand if you are sitting in the back.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Ford never put pop-outs in the rear doors for just that reason. The pop-outs from the side of the Ford vans fit the back door, which is great for camping, but not so good for driving.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Hey Troy looks like you have a Panel to me so I think you are talking about fumes coming in the rear window's???  Have your Exhaust pipe or pipes coming out in front of the rear tires about 2-3 inches past the rocker panel edge.. I ran all my Van's that way after the fumes were coming in on my Rear Dutch doors on my 3rd Gen Chevy when the top half was open. Smile .exhuast fumes 56387010
    64vanatic
    64vanatic

Post by 64vanatic Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:50 pm

well here's the whole story. my 64 has no windows side or rear. i just got a third gen. with pop-out but i knew the wealth of knowledge here was so good i figured it would get answered quick. i had them in my 78 years ago with the same issue so i got no window doors and swapped them out. i wanted to try it out and see about keeping them but if every time i forget to close them before i take off, and have to smell exhaust, i would rather just do away with them. i thought i heard of an exhaust tip trick that someone did the helped keep it out of the inside, but i may be confused.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:04 am

Troy is that the Van we talked about with the 6 cly.?? If so most 3rd Gen Chevy's exits from behind the left rear tire so if you get a chrome tip and go a couple of inches past where it sticks out from the factory that should solve your problem..The pop outs are GREAT when camping try to keep them worst case get new rubbers for them and the rear doors.!!!. if you do get rid of them let me know..... I also have a set of NEW 3rd Gen Chevy no window rear doors. My plan is to put them on STOW-A-WAY Someday......JOE VAN....
    64vanatic
    64vanatic

Post by 64vanatic Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:53 am

No its not, but its a pretty nice van. 93 SWB with a slider side door. It needs a few things but for the most part perfectly drivable as is. I also got a ton of extra parts with it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:14 am