VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
slowflapper
donivan65
6 posters

gas fumes in cabin

gas fumes in cabin Empty gas fumes in cabin

Post by Guest Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:10 pm

If I park my van (66 e100 240ci) after the engine has gotten nice and hot and then return to it, say 15min - 45min later, there is the smell of gasoline fumes. It seems to be coming from the carb. Hot days are worse than cold days.

Previously I couldn't trace the source but then noticed the fuel pump leaking ever so slightly. So I tightened down the screws. Now the source of the smell is only on the carb side. The float valve appears to be working fine, though I'm not sure how high the fuel level is supposed to be in the carb (It's a DOPF-E carb, not the stock one).

My dogbox has lots of holes... just wondering if others have this problem. It is normal? Should I concentrate on sealing up my dogbox?

Also, does anyone know why the fuel pump for the thermactor engines is different than none thermactor engines? My van has a thermactor.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

gas fumes in cabin Empty Re: gas fumes in cabin

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:31 pm

That is called heat soak,,,,,,,,and the carb is probably vented into the doghouse or the float is not holding. Can you see raw gas down in the carb if you look down it with the engine not running? I put a 12 volt fan on top of my bellypan that I can turn on to keep the Doghouse cool, remove the fumes and cool the radiator down.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Donivan is correct. once again. I would still seal all of those holes so no carbon monoxide leaks into the van. No need to make yourself sick while driving. That happened to me once and I was sick as a dog. Sealed the holes the next day.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:11 am

^^ The guys above nailed it.

I had a similar problem with mine, all of the gaskets and seals had rotted out of the dog house and let fumes into the cab. I stripped the whole thing and painted it and resealed it with new insulation and seals and it helps quite a bit.

Also, most older carbs will leak a little fuel around the carb butterfly shaft, especially when you turn the vehicle off in hot weather sealing the dog house helps with this.

In regards to "heat soak":
    It's a big problem down here in the Deep South, summer temps run in the high 90's a lot of the time. Engine temps can spike high after you turn the vehicle off, it causes any fuel left in the carb bowl to vaporize (and sometimes boil). It gets forced into the intake manifold from the pressure and then you have a fuel rich (flooded) condition that reeks of fuel.

I'd like to mention that when I first got my van I had to replace the entire fuel system, tank, lines, carb, fuel pump. I put in an electric FP on a switch so in the summer time when it's hot I can turn the FP off when I'm stopping for awhile and I run the gas out of the carb (or mostly out). That really seems to help as far as heat soaking goes, obviously not something everyone would need (especially in Canada) bit in GA it really helps.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:16 am

Thats the story,,,,,,the new vans have a charcoal canister that catches the carb fumes and if you put the newer sealed type gas cap on your van, that builds up pressure in the gas tank and forces gas into the carb. And if you have a breather on the valve cover, those fumes escape out of the engine. So you need to seal that doghouse up real good to keep that stuff away from you,,, and I surely would not leave home without this little Honda fan to keep air flowing through the doghouse. I got one of those 60 minute wind up ceiling fan timers on my fan so I can set it and forget it and not worry about it running my battery down when I park it.

gas fumes in cabin Pictur12

Post by Guest Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:40 am

Wow... thanks guys. Everything you've said makes sense. I'll start by sealing up that dogbox.

I tried to see if there was fuel running into the carb when not running, but if I open the butterfly valve, all I see is smoke! Also, wouldn't opening the butterfly valve cause the accelerator pump to squirt in a bit of fuel? Still I didn't see any.

But, there is evidence that gas is seeping through the butterfly shaft in the form of stains... still never have seen liquid gas there.

I'm thinking about replacing the radiator fan with an electric one, that way I could set it up to run on a timer like Donivan has.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:16 pm

I surely like these timers,,,,,,,,I got mine mounted under my dash and I got a couple of portable ones built up whenever I want to time out any 12 volt or 120 volt equipment. I also have an on/off switch to control my fan manually.

gas fumes in cabin Repair49
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:32 pm

dakeddie,
    J.C. Whitney has their insulation kit on sale currently, I used the same materials in a pre-cut kit that I purchased just for my A100. The material in this kit rocks, just make sure you seal all the edges with foil tape so fluids cant get behind it and turn the glue loose. Here's a link to the kit. You can get the same parts from Home Depot but I don't think they would be cheaper.

Here's what it looks like installed:
    gas fumes in cabin IMG00436-20100314-1248

gas fumes in cabin IMG00434-20100314-1159

I tried to see if there was fuel running into the carb when not running, but if I open the butterfly valve, all I see is smoke! Also, wouldn't opening the butterfly valve cause the accelerator pump to squirt in a bit of fuel? Still I didn't see any.

It may just be fuel vapor from whats left in the intake and carb. The "smoke" is vaporized fuel, like you said, the accelerator pump gives a little squirt when you move it (if the carb bowl is full enough), it vaporized when it hit the intake manifold.

But, there is evidence that gas is seeping through the butterfly shaft in the form of stains... still never have seen liquid gas there

You'll probably see it after it gets to running temp and then you turn it off or if it's being hard to start and floods a little. You wont see it when its running as it will suck air into the carb past that shaft. Put your finger over it and you can probably feel it if its worn out enough, my old holley would actually whistle until it got warm enough to close the gap. Cool

I'm thinking about replacing the radiator fan with an electric one, that way I could set it up to run on a timer like Donivan has.

I'm running a mechanical and a 16" Hayden electric (it gets really hot down here in the summer as I mentioned). I replaced my OEM fan with a Summit heavy duty fan (part num: SUM-G4920) and it works much better:
    gas fumes in cabin IMG-20100912-00012

My electric fan is "16" Hayden Automotive PN: 3710", I only run it in the summer if I'm in heavy traffic as it draws a lot of power, about 16/18 amps, a smaller fan would draw less of course.
    here it is installed:
    gas fumes in cabin IMG00432-20100314-1037

Note that donivans electric fan is for moving air in the doghouse (I need to add one in my van like that as well!) the one I installed is just for extra cooling in the summer and doesn't help after the van is turned off (where donivans would help remove left over fumes)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:06 pm

There are more complications if you remove your fan and put an electric one in there,,,,,,like is there enough room for it to fit,,,,,,,or will it fit on the front of the radiator instead,,,,,,you need to install a sending unit to have it come on at the right time,,,,,,,that fan draws a lot of power so your alternator works harder,,,,,,,,and it will run your battery down if you leave it on too long.
    But thats what the new cars have,,,,,,so you can choose what system that works best for you. I like my fan because I can turn it on anytime and that airflow keeps the doghouse cool and that is a good thing when you are sitting just inches away from it......... and my fan will cool the radiator down also until the engine starts stumbling and I need to pull out the choke if I leave it on too long,,,,,I would NEVER leave home without that fan,,,,,,,,,,,
    Farmer
    Farmer

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2010-12-27

Post by Farmer Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Hey Donivan, I love that idea of the hamburger fan. How about some more info on that switch. Also, does your fan push or pull the air into or out of the motor box? I will be doing something like this. Great idea!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Go to the electrical section in Home Depot and buy one for about $15,,,,,,,they have different duration ones,,,,,,I like the 60 minute ones,,,,,my fan pushes air UP towards the radiator,,,,,,it is from a Honda,,,,,$15 at the 1/2 price Pick a Part sale,,,,,,I surely need it trying to get through Los Angeles,,,,,,,you are ALWAYS stuck in traffic and in our vans,,,,,if you aint MOVIN,,,,you aint COOLIN,,

gas fumes in cabin Nodoor89
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Donivan, great idea on the timer! I've been wanting to add a fan also. Gotta' question (or two); I noticed two pics had different fans in them. Is there a difference in the two fans? Is one better than the other?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:04 pm

People want the radiators at the wrecking yards so the fans are usually just laying on the ground,,,,,,so this one is just one I found and put in this van,,,,,,,there are differences in fans,,,,,,depending on its diameter, number of blades and RPM,,,,,,,and there is like 2 inches of room in front and the rear of my radiator, so mounting a fan on the radiator is out of the question,,,,,,and I am thinking that if you put a big fan in front of the radiator it will restrict the air flow,,,,,but the fan is just sort of an air amplifier,,,,,so it does not really matter what one you use,,,,,,get the biggest one that you can mount in the place that you choose,,,,,,,,
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:14 pm

Thanks donivan. I was talking about the supplemental fan that you have attached to your anti-sway bar. My van runs plenty cool, even here in SETexas pulling our camper. I would like to add a supplemental fan like yours to help cool the dog house after a run.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:33 pm

And it will start easily without trying to clear out all that extra gas loading up in the intake. These fans seem to come in 10 to 17 inch diameters,,,,,,

gas fumes in cabin Repair50

gas fumes in cabin Repair51
    Farmer
    Farmer

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2010-12-27

Post by Farmer Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:26 am

Thanks for that info Donivan. That timer switch is a COOL idea and I see where you have it mounted under your dash. Thanks for sharing!!

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:02 pm

This has been a great thread. I'm glad I started it! Very Happy
    chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Does anyone have a line on a autonatic timer to shut off the fan a few minutes after shut down? I want it to be fool proof as the wife and others may be driving van.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:46 pm

chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:29 am

Thanks Digz, I had found a couple, but these look to be ideal for what I want to do. The main advantage of these is tha adjustability and over discharge protection. I had found AMPERITE relays, but theyare special order and coustom built to your needs, Pricey and long delivery time. These will work just fine for what I had in mind.
    Lester

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:28 pm