VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

2 Questions 1. Blinker indicator hack, 2. taillight socket replacement.

Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

2 Questions 1. Blinker indicator hack, 2. taillight socket replacement. Empty 2 Questions 1. Blinker indicator hack, 2. taillight socket replacement.

Post by Dawgboy Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:57 am

Hey guys,

3 Qs for you.

1. I have blinker issues. The issue is the return does not work on my blinker so I find myself running with the blinker on, like a grandma in a caddy... I cannot hear the solinoid as it's a Ron Francis replacement and very quiet, and I don't notice the indicator lights as they are kinda dim in daylight, and way out of the line of sight when driving.

Has anybody added a buzzer or light to both sides to avoid this pitfall? If so, how did you wire it? Boneyard components???

2. one of my tail lights just won't hold contacts with the bulb any more. I had taped it and wedged it before, but that no longer works. what's the best way to fix this? it's the left side rear, so no access to the back of the light...

And last,

Im running the OEM 37amp alternator and OEM actually, the original Voltage regulator under the dash. All my lights and stuff have a slight pulse to them. I read that there is an electroic replacement VR that wires right in and looks original. I als read in a thread here that it's not compatible with pre 67 alts. Is that true? Can I run one? If so, part numbers?

Thanks!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

2 Questions 1. Blinker indicator hack, 2. taillight socket replacement. Empty Re: 2 Questions 1. Blinker indicator hack, 2. taillight socket replacement.

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:29 pm

I soldered these buzzers to each turn signal indicator socket so they buzz each time they blink,,,,,

2 Questions 1. Blinker indicator hack, 2. taillight socket replacement. Buzz_t10
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

2 Questions 1. Blinker indicator hack, 2. taillight socket replacement. Empty Re: 2 Questions 1. Blinker indicator hack, 2. taillight socket replacement.

Post by Dawgboy Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Great idea! Would like to do it with just 1 though.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:10 pm

The three screws that hold the lens in place also holds the housing. Just pull out the housing until you see the plugs that hold the wires together, they will pull apart, just do it carefully. You can replace it with another housing, either on eBay or maybe someone here has an extra. The rest of the issues are beyond me. I have the same non-cancelling issues as you have. I did find a buzzer with two pairs each of red and black wires, though I've yet to install it.
    A100 Wrench
    A100 Wrench

Number of posts : 572
    Registration date : 2013-05-12

Post by A100 Wrench Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:49 pm

After you remove the housing,split the insulation on the backside and push the wires toward the outside.You will see small springs on the wires.try stretching them or you can unscrew them from the wires and replace with new springs.This should give back the contact to the bulb.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:17 am

see my post in this thread regarding the solid state VR, I run one in my van and it's a '65. I actually ordered two and keep a spare in the van since they were so cheap from this guy.

maybe try a little silicon spray for your turn signal return cams, things can get a little gummy in there at times. Mine don't return either, I just move the handle back to the center after I turn.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 am