VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Were Sholder Belts a Stock Option for '69 ?

Scotts_A100

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Were Sholder Belts a Stock Option for '69 ? Empty Were Sholder Belts a Stock Option for '69 ?

Post by Scotts_A100 Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:11 pm

While I've been finishing off the body work inside I noticed that there were two captured nuts in a location that might indicate that they were for Sholder Belts. See the attached two pictures.

The first is behind the drivers seat, I've circled the nut in question in the roof rail.

Were Sholder Belts a Stock Option for '69 ? A100_212

And the second is behind the passenger seat, again I've circled the nut in question in the door post.

Were Sholder Belts a Stock Option for '69 ? A100_213

If these were not used for Sholder Belts that the next question would be what would they be used for? Curious mind(s) want to know, all opinions and/or thoughts are welcome.

Thanks, Scott...
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Were Sholder Belts a Stock Option for '69 ? Empty Re: Were Sholder Belts a Stock Option for '69 ?

Post by Gothboy Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:51 am

Im speaking out of my hind end here, purely hypothesizing... But is it possible that shoulder belts were an option? If so that may explain the nuts. Also a possibility is that since these were designed as work trucks that those may be "designated mounting points" of the metal divider used in the work trucks to prevent tools from hitting you in the head during an accident? Or the work cabinets option?
    Scotts_A100

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Were Sholder Belts a Stock Option for '69 ? Empty Re: Were Sholder Belts a Stock Option for '69 ?

Post by Scotts_A100 Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:36 am

Not a bad thought and one that I had not considered as the one I have is the window/Sportsman model (the Basic version not the Custom). Does anyone else have these holes/nuts in these locations on their '69 or '70 Sportsman or for that matter on their panel van? Again just curious. Scott...
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:21 am

I would guess they are NOT belt mounting points.
    A couple of reasons - not in the same location on each side, and the biggie, they are not reinforced to support a human body under a couple G's force in an accident.
    Take a look at where belts are mounted in cars and trucks of the same vintage or newer and you will see plates, formed rails, and other stuff that are very strong.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:06 am