VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
dix
Twinpilot001
dodge man
7 posters

trany convertor

dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

trany convertor Empty trany convertor

Post by dodge man Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:32 pm

should i replace my transmission convertor when i get my trany rebuilt? i've heard that these 727 convertors just need cleaned out,, theres nothing wrong with mine, its getting rebuilt becouse of the high milage on it, what should i do clean the convertor or replace it?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

trany convertor Empty Re: trany convertor

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:52 pm

do not !! EVER!! USE a converter thats used in a new/ rebuilt tranny !! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!affraid affraid 
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:50 am

thanks TP, you answred that question,, what about a trans cooler, i dont want to reuse the radiator cooler, should i just install a inline cooleralong the frame with or without a fan? any pictures would help? thanks john
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:21 pm

John if your running a 35 amp, alt. you need to be carefull adding fans and such,

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Heres the straight skinnt on all= any time you rebuild /replace ant automatic trans- replace the converter!! very small metal can get trapped inside!! Therefore -do you want that metal to eventually be introduced into the new trans ?? Then likely will be looking at another new trans & converter anyway!! Just replace it & dont believe anyone cah clean out any trans converter by "Flushing it"!!affraid  Now for trans coolers -The ones in the bottom of the radiators =actually cool better & quicker than any add'l cooler can-why?? because its water cooled!! not air cooled! trust in this -yet i myself usually add an air cooled addl tranny cooler too! Just make sure that the redaitor trans cooler HAS!! been flushed with a solvent several times!! Now there are also several diff aftermarket trans coolers too - there is even a nice looking round vertical & horozontal mounting ones . Skip white -seller on ebay has them sells cheap too-they are alunimum & will disapate heat good too -might have a look @ those . Now -ol DIX is exactly correct on the alternator!! Search our archives herein for old skls postings?? on alternator conversions@! next post here i do will be of that trans coolers on ebay 4 ya-Happy vannin!cheers 
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:31 pm

Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:32 pm

Twinpiliot nailed it I could not have said it any better myself.!!!!.cheers ....
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:32 am

thanks guys, i want to have the radiator recored to 3 cores so 'll have them flush the trany cooler at the same time and reuse it with a add on air cooler also, i'll have to find a NEW conveter, theres so many and at different prices, all i need is a stock stoll speep converter, i just want to make it cross country next summer, not race it,
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:39 am

The in radiator coolers do two important things, they warm up the fluid and keep it cool!
    The fluid should be kept at a narrow operating temp to boil out moisture and expand to the correct level, along with keeping the tolerances in the valve body correct. Too cool is bad, too hot is terrible.

Adding an additional cooler is done for the following reasons; stock cooling system is unable to handle the additional heat from towing, HP use or the system is old and can't keep up. Many prefer to disconnect the water to ATF connection in the radiator due to a past experience with a leak contaminating the fluids.
    However, if you do not expect to stress the system and it's in good condition, the in radiator cooler is fine.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:04 am

i've learned alot about this subject on here, thanks guys for keeping me from making any mistakes. thats what i like about this site, everone helps one another,, i have many years of auto experance but never did any trany work, thanks again,, john
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:28 am

You may even consider a NEW converter over used. I was rebuilding a 63 comet, and had the trans done. I put % converters in in the same day! EACH ONE WAS BAD! FREAKIN 5!!!!! The last one was new, the first 4 were rebuilds. Never looked back.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:05 pm

i talked to my transmission guy and told him i want the van able to drive cross country, and he said i should deffently replace my converter, he said if i was just using it around town the old converter would be ok just cleaned out, he said in the old days they never changed them when rebuilding the trany, he gave me a price of 500 for rebuilding it with a new converter if i was going to buy the rebuilding kit and remove and install the trany my self, is that a good price ??
    Scotts_A100

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Post by Scotts_A100 Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:34 pm

Having the trans done is also on my list of things to do yet before putting it all back together. I've been doing some checking and so far had two shops tell me just to do it myself, another wanted $900 (even with my removal/delivery of the trans) and another wanted $400 (without a converter). My bottom line thinking on this is that I'm considering that I just might rebuild it myself, not sure yet though. I am keeping the $400 offer in mind too though, just in case. Good luck with what ever you choose to do. BTW, I too recall in past years they would never change the converter with a rebuild, times change. Scott...
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:03 pm

thanks scott, yeah this guy has been rebuilding tranys for years, he is good, i thought about rebuilding it my self but theres to many specialty tools needed so i'll leave it to the pro,,i think with the converter 500 aint to bad a price, i got a complete kit for it off ebay 195.00 its supose to be the best parts kit you can buy, i plan on doing some long driveing next summer, i dont need any trany problems over the mountains,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:04 am