VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Parts interchangeable?

Parts interchangeable? Empty Parts interchangeable?

Post by Guest Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:26 pm

I'm geting a 69 A100, and wanted to put AC, PS, and disc breaks in it eventually. I found a 72 Valiant with a blown engine for cheap, with all of the parts I need. I was just wondering what, if any of these parts, could I swap? The Van has a slant 6 225 cid. I know the Valiant has a slant 6, and that's all the info I have about it right now.

If this car makes a poor parts car for what I want to do, which year and make should I be looking for?

Thanks a lot

Parts interchangeable? Empty Re: Parts interchangeable?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:53 am

None of the car parts save for very few items will interchange. The A/C, P/S, and disc brakes from the Valiant will not swap over to your A-100 sorry to say.

For disc brakes visit www.aajbrakes.com and call the guy. He has kits available.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:46 pm

Thanks. What about the differential? I wanted a little more top end, do you know if I can swap something out?
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:38 am

your van no doubt has an 8 3/4 pot type rear differential. the valiant has the "glass" 7 1/4 rear end and if thats the case its not worth using as a boat anchor. richmond gear was making gear sets for the 742 and 489 cases but were starting production for the very common 741 case.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:08 am

A-vans came with ratios of 3.23, 3.55, and 3.91. I have seen 4.56 gears listed in a '70 brochure, but have never come across one.

You can use a gearset out of any car/truck with an 8-3/4 axle from 65-74. If you're looking for good top end range and low RPM's go with something like a 2.94 or 2.76 ratio.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:16 am

with those ratios Nate recomended be sure to have an automatic tranny, youll smoke the clutch with a 2.76, ive swapped my 3.91 from my pickup and replaced it with 3.23, its deffinatly a lot better down the hiway now.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:16 pm

When you went from a 3.91 to the 3.23, what kind of drop in RPM did you get on the highway?

Would it be a mistake to put a 3.23 into a manual tranny van as far as wearing out the clutch?

I heard you have to change the driveshaft in some way, is that true? Any suggestion about which car to get one from? (a 3.23?)

Thanks
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:38 am

well i broke the spedometer at newengland dragway in 98 or 99, i remember 60-65 was the limit on the turnpike now im honkin past everyone in the fast lane id guess 80 give or take a few,i dont drive for maximum fuel eficincy! 3:23 is high as id go for a 3 spd. im runnin a modified 6 and 727 auto. doesnt have much gut at take off but still moves quick. depending on the casting#s on the chuck is weather or not you have to modify the u joint in the rear. my 3:23s came out of a crashed demon so i had to modify (i got the part#s somewhere) also tire size makes a diffrence too!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:47 am