VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
Gothboy
westcoastvanner
G-Man
A100 Wrench
millwright71
JariV
BillyBlaze
11 posters

A SLO A100

BillyBlaze
    BillyBlaze

Number of posts : 114
    Registration date : 2013-08-15

A SLO A100 - Page 2 Empty Re: A SLO A100

Post by BillyBlaze Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:44 pm

Durn. I was trying to post up some pix but still not able to. It has been past the seven days to make sure I am not a spammer trying to hawk my warez or ninja anyones CC# so I sent Chebby a PM and hopefully in the next few days it will get sorted out.

In the mean time I have just been doin a little tinkering and going to try and round up my ignition crap this weekend but had a weird question for ya'll. I like to have random crap playing while working like youtube stuff and whatnot. Today me and the dude next door were doing some messin round/beer drinkin/bench racing/ lyin to each other and got into a HUGE pissin contest about the background noise. So I ask you, Hogan's Heros or Gilligans Island? After bout 45 min of heated discussion we settled on Get Smart and H R Puffin Stuff. Anyways know this is stupid but what do you like to have blarin in the background while working on your rides (aside from music we all do that) I was kinda pissed I caved in and not play HH but will be dammed if I let him win and have GI rollin Razz
    BillyBlaze
    BillyBlaze

Post by BillyBlaze Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:02 am

A SLO A100 - Page 2 <a href=A SLO A100 - Page 2 A66d7f82-b2eb-4987-b4b4-350309354304_zpsfa896b42" />

A SLO A100 - Page 2 <a href=A SLO A100 - Page 2 B4175c3d-2b27-4584-b5c8-3705fdeec139_zpse3f9c702" />

A SLO A100 - Page 2 <a href=A SLO A100 - Page 2 IMG_0327_zpsaa3d9d82" />

A SLO A100 - Page 2 <a href=A SLO A100 - Page 2 IMG_0329_zpsda1b2c49" />

Far as the body goes only these dings on the rear pass corner and a small wrinkle on the rear door are the major issues. For some reason a couple of the pics look like there are either dents or creases but it is some reflection in my ghetto photos.

A SLO A100 - Page 2 <a href=A SLO A100 - Page 2 IMG_0328_zps700dc988" />

That and I HAVE to either bust out some RTV and go "full retard" on the vent patch the previous guy did or better yet I have looked online at a couple vents just trying to decide if I want to go with the metal one or plastic and replace it every few years when the sun gives it a beatdown. It is bugging the crap out of me cuz it starts to whistle a low tone at about 30 mph and cuts out at close to 40MPH then picks back up with a higher tone at 60MPH and continues to a higher rate than I have wrung Ol Girl out to so far. VERY annoying. LOL

A SLO A100 - Page 2 <a href=A SLO A100 - Page 2 IMG_0332_zps7f2eacba" />
    BillyBlaze
    BillyBlaze

Post by BillyBlaze Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:19 am

Since I am able to post up photos I thought I would put one of my uncles Midget we are farting around with. It is a pretty cool piece Very Happy 

A SLO A100 - Page 2 <a href=A SLO A100 - Page 2 IMG_0129" />

A SLO A100 - Page 2 <a href=A SLO A100 - Page 2 IMG_0264" />
    Guys like this used to race them back in the 30's on the Board Tracks and Dirt. Needless to say the had HUGE brass ones!! This is coming from a guy the has ran Winged 410 sprint cars at Winchester and Eldora and still not sure once we get this shitbox done if I am going to have the brass to give her full song when we take it to Hanford or Santa Maria to show on on vintage night. LOL

[img]A SLO A100 - Page 2 IMG_0254[/img]
    BillyBlaze
    BillyBlaze

Post by BillyBlaze Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:58 pm

If anyone has one of those cool looking "street van" emblems or has a buddy with one I have been trying to round one up To cast a couple off of. Just lost another ebay auction for one durnit.

It can even be broken so long as it is complete it will work fine I just need to be able to piece it together well enuff to get a good sand casting off of it.

Hit me up with a PM and we can work out a deal. Don't even need to buy it, just want to copy it and for the hassle I will make you a set as well we have plenty of ingit's just need somethin fun to use the material on  Very Happy

*NOTE I will buy one but if you would like to have me make you a set for bummin me the one you have it in NO WAY would get messed up. I just need to pack some fine sand around it to make a mold so it does not get scratch or deformed or anything crazy like that. Just been tuff tryin to find one so going to make them.

Also was going to order up a guage kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autometer-1300-Gauge-Kit-Arctic-White-Speedometer-Water-Temp-Fuel-Level-Volt-Oil-/390645623201?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af44b29a1&vxp=mtr

but was wondering if any of you have any other options I may want to check out before I grab these. Trying to keep pricing reasonable so any of the 400-500 ones are out of my price range.
    BillyBlaze
    BillyBlaze

Post by BillyBlaze Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:54 pm

So sick of sanding and still have the roof and pass side to go yet....need to order up some parts and let the numbness in my hands go away. LOL

Was going to order up some headers and looking for some input from anyone who has a set on their van with a 318.

Looked around the forums and found these block huggers from summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9064/ and was leaning toward grabbing them but was wondering if ppl have better experience using http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9042 or http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9040. I think the 9042 are the correct ones for fitment but not 100% sure on that.

So I am just wondering if anyone has tried any of those 3 headers and if so which one would you recommend far as ease of fitment, clearance and cooling based on your use of them.

There has been grumblings round the shop about building a set but would much rather spend that time elsewhere and the ones from Summit have a very nice price point. I was leaning toward the block huggers but wanted to see what you guys would recommend if you have tried one of these three sets

Thanks
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:22 am

Lookin great billy hehe i hope thats not the uncle flying thru the air!! wow what a pic!!. The old midgets with the V8-60 were just cool too -im surprised any are still around now!! Keep up the good work!!cheers 
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:59 am

There have been a few threads on headers. I'd love to tell you that a member lives a mile from Jeg's or Summitt and has personally tried every header in inventory and posted pics and part #s, but the answer is no.
    You mentioned a 318 but not the trans (man or auto). Man will be harder to fit, due to shift rods that are unlike any truck/car application. Auto will probably work with most car style headers.
    See if you can find some friends that have oldheaders you can try on for fit.
    BillyBlaze
    BillyBlaze

Post by BillyBlaze Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:28 am

Opps my bad, I have a Auto in The Mighty One. I was just hoping someone had at some point tried both style on their van or on diff vans they had owned over the years.

It looks to me that there would be no issue with std headers but I was leaning toward the block huggers for the sole reason off doghouse temps. With either style you obviously need to wrap them but on a couple of the LMP Sportscars I worked on we wrapped them then built some heat sheilds that basically was a enclosure around the headers to stop them from baking the carbon underwing so I was going to do something along those lines but if std headers wrapped are fine then would prefer to go that route even if had to move a tube a little that is no big deal and can do that easily. Think I am going to pipe in a fan/blower on a timer to keep it from heat sinkin the doghouse no matter what I do.

I wish I could do like you suggest Rod but there is a grp of 10 or 12 of us that meet for lunch on fridays and everyone brings their pile out. Sadly they are all Hemi's, BB or Flatheads and any SB is going to be a Bowtie  HEHE

Think I may just go with std headers wrapped as from all the threads i have read that seems to be fine and maybe i was just worryin bout nothing by looking at huggers.

Far as that poor bastard in errr out of that midget that is the pic my uncle texted me when i was talking shit telling him how hard I was going to run his baby at Hanford when we take it out for vintage night LOL
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:36 pm

i'm going to try the summit g9040 headers in november, if they dont fit i'll try the g9042 and let you know witch one fit the best, or if you try a set sooner let me know,
    john
    BillyBlaze
    BillyBlaze

Post by BillyBlaze Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:45 pm

Slow progress from the bodywork department think I may have to fire the guy guy as i susspect he is doing more beer drinkin than sanding  LOL

A SLO A100 - Page 2 <a href=A SLO A100 - Page 2 IMG_0362_zps3e2ba9d1" />

A SLO A100 - Page 2 <a href=A SLO A100 - Page 2 IMG_0363_zpsebfb2176" />

A SLO A100 - Page 2 <a href=A SLO A100 - Page 2 IMG_0364_zps6bf74dcb" />

I did score a killer deal on a intake/carb/filter combo for a guy the other day and was happy to see it showed up[ this morning

Very Happy 

A SLO A100 - Page 2 <a href=A SLO A100 - Page 2 IMG_0365_zpsf827600e" />

A SLO A100 - Page 2 <a href=A SLO A100 - Page 2 IMG_0366_zps3f4e00a9" />

I have some Flowmaster 44 series on their way but still trying to decide wtf I want to do for headers. Can't make up my mind if i wanna go with some block huggers or the 9040's I was looking at from Summit.

I did go ahead and order up a Comp Cams cam/lifter kit #CL20-600-4 and a spring kit #995-16 while I was at it so hopefully they show up here in the next few days.

Have been trying to source a gear drive (no I don't want to get into the old "harmonics" debate as that whole myth is related to the crappy quality of the older parts that were out there and had more to do with higher rpm racing aplications and such). Unless my "Redneck Lottery" comes in I am thinking I will go with one of the CAT drives as Mildon is going to run around a 4-5 hundred dollar bill and can grab a CAT for far less and will be just fine what what I am going to be doing just cruising around and not hitting the strip or anything. Sadly it seems they are the "quiet" version so looks like I will have to give it a little love and do some machine work to get the "Blower Whine" I am wanting to bug the neighbors with along with my Thumper cam and 3in flowmasters LOL. If anyone knows of another gear drive out there I should look into by all means speak up.

Dam, I REALLY wish I could trick the kids next door into how much "fun" it is sanding.......... hehe

Was kinda bummed I sold my beach cruiser cuz I had done a lot of stuff tricking it out but kinda needed the extra cash for goodies to fire on my van

[img]A SLO A100 - Page 2 IMG_0199[/img]

[img]A SLO A100 - Page 2 IMG_0356_zps7d764f9b[/img]

Bah.. not sure what is going on with the pics on intake I thought I resized them correctly. I suck at the interwebz.
    Mad
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:08 pm

really nice bike, sanding is the pits !!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:11 pm