VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+19
m1dadio
Scott
hywaychild
64chevy
mo_1040
xjamesx
billski
VANagain
G-Man
joyrde
BILLS66
Nightmoves
gotavan
Kakster
BvrWally
DanTheVanMan
Digz
PolarBear2
donivan65
23 posters

Auto transmission swap

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Auto transmission swap - Page 3 Empty Re: Auto transmission swap

Post by G-Man Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:17 pm

I thought Lokar said they could have one made????
    billski
    billski

Number of posts : 262
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by billski Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Sorry G-Man...thought you were offering a source. Lokar has longer cables, so does B&M, so does the local boat supply. Shifter came with a 4 foot cable - not long enough but still don' know the length I need yet. Will keep you posted.
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Fri May 08, 2009 9:43 pm

new question to revive this awesome thread. i just got a (used) 700r4 from an '89 van for a song and a dance. i already have a turbo 350 tranny installed and working that i will remove to put in the 700r4. i know i need to modify my hanger and shorten the drive shaft. my shift lever is just the stock 3-on-tree slightly modified to work as an auto shift. so...
    my question is, what else do i need to look into? (excuse my limited mechanic skills and terms) will i have to modify the "vacuum lines" that are connected to turbo350 at all? will i need to look into a new "kickdown cable"? and lastly, where do i find out about the electrical plug on the tranny? it looks like a 4 post terminal and does it hookup to anything or do i just buy a wiring kit that deadends that circuit? in other words, what do i do with that?
    james

Post by Guest Fri May 08, 2009 9:46 pm

You need a "on computer" box for the trans. You can get it at any speed shop or online at Summit or Speedway motors.

Heres one trans kit
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat May 09, 2009 4:41 am

I think there is a more economical way to do that with a toggle switch, but I have to find more out on it yet.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Sat May 09, 2009 8:11 am

billski wrote:I will need a longer cable. Haven't determined what length yet. I will let you know. Do you have a special source?

I used a 8' B&M cable for my 350 turbo...Fit perfect...any shorter would not of worked.
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Sat May 09, 2009 8:29 am

oh yeah, and can i use the same torque converter (i think thats what its called) that is on there now? i didnt know if they differ from turbo350 to 700r4...
    billski
    billski

Number of posts : 262

Post by billski Sat May 09, 2009 11:17 am

Well my van is finally in the hands of the mechanic who is doing the trans swap - we're doing a swap. I rebuilt his shed, he's doing the swap with all parts and labor included, except for the shifter. So far he took out the 3-tree and installed the 200-4R, and as I type he's fabricating the trans mount. Going to see it later today. Getting anxious! Hopefully another week I'd it will be on the road. I post some pics eventually, including a shot of my Lokar shifter.
    joyrde
    joyrde

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Post by joyrde Tue May 19, 2009 3:45 am

[quote="donivan65"]Transmissions are not going to help,,,,whether they are a 2, 3, 5, or 27 speed, high gear is always 1 to 1, the only exception is if you get an overdrive one, which will drop it down in high gear to about .70 to 1. The real solution is the rear end, which there are at least 4 choices. The 3:08 and 3:36 let the engine turn slower for any given speed. And rule #4 is a guy needs to drain his differential, check his axles and see what gear ratio he has so he knows what he got. As a matter of fact, I unloaded the TreeVan differential today to see what I got and if it will be better than what is in my van right now,,,,,,,,,

I have to disagree, to a certain extent, with Donivan - - the 700R makes ahuge difference when operating in OD. With the .70 final drive gear ratio and lock-up converter the engine RPM/s will drop 900 - 1100 RPMs.

My '67 is running 3.73 rear gears, 28.5" tall tires, when it is running 65 mph the engine is running 2000 rpms - - which is just about perfect for a brick shaped vehicle.

With the same set-up running 3.08 gears the engine RPM would be 1700 at 65 mph - -which is way to low for aerodynamics of our vans.

if you would like to work out combinations, check out - - http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue May 19, 2009 8:10 am

Thats a lot of good information,,,,,,if you need it,,,,,,,it shows the variables,,,,,and how it affects the performance. My buddy here has the stock 3:08 rear end in his 2nd gen and he aint complaining,,,,,,(but he has the TH350 trans) and the original question was which stock transmissions would cut down on the high RPMs on his engine,,,,,,and the answer was NONE,,,,,,they are all the same except if you install one with an over drive,,,,,,or change the rear end gear ratio. I agree you are going to need more horsepower if you start changing to an overdrive, higher geared rear ends or larger tires. And a 700R4 with the 3:08 would probably be too much of a combination. But keep the information coming,,,,,,we can never have enough Van information,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue May 19, 2009 10:38 am

Hey John,,,,,,,,while you got your chart out, how about running off a couple of scenarios on what to expect with a 700R4 trans conversion,,,,,,the engine will be a 6 cylinder,,,,,and the rear ends will the 3:36,,,,3:73 and the 4:11. Tires are 14". But at least do some specs of what to expect from the most common, basic set up,,,,,,6 cylinder, 3:36,,,,,,14 inch wheels,,,, see what you think is the most efficient set up,,,,,,,,and if you would even notice,,,,,,I would like to know,,,,,,,
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Tue May 19, 2009 1:18 pm

I'd like to know how a 200R4 would fit into this equation. Would it's higher overdrive of .67 be more or less favorable then the 700R4's .70 overdrive. Someday I'd like to change my Powerglide out with a 200R4 since it's suppose to be the same overall length.
    joyrde
    joyrde

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Auto transmission swap - Page 3 Empty re:Auto transmission swap

Post by joyrde Tue May 19, 2009 4:08 pm

There is a reason I do not weigh in on many discussions, whether it's on this great site or vcvc. The type of back to back replies to my thoughts is the reason why.

To answer your question the 700R is "my" transmission of choice for most GM applications. With its super low first gear and OD final drive it is a winner at both ends.

The first good news is the 3.06 first gear will help a the van pulling our, especially when towing.

The OD with lock-up converter will drop RPMs by 1000. So running a 700R a 3.73 gear and "stock" van tires with an outside diameter of 25.5" the engine will be turning 2500 RPMs at 72 MPH. With the stock 1:1 transmission output the same van will be running 51 MPH at 2500 RPMs.

Running a 700R in a van with a good running stock 194, 230 or 250 should be able to push a brick shaped van through the air at 65 MPG while turning 2250 RPMs.

Just as an FYI, I do not sell myself as an expert . . . just someone with a lot of experience - - - 50 years of working on all types of vehicles, a GM trained auto tech, 25 years teaching high school Auto tech and an ASE Master technician. All that said whatever I offer is just an opinion.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue May 19, 2009 4:32 pm

joyrde your opinions are very welcome, what better infor than from a GM tech. Your weighting in is good timing for me as I was on the fence to which to go with 200r4 or 700r4 for the 64.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue May 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Hey Joyrde,,,,,,we all come here to learn and to help,,,,,,,everybody can learn but not everybody can help,,,,,,,,,so we really appreciate and rely on anyone who takes the time to share with their experience and knowledge,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2009 2:52 pm

I wanna swap my non-overdrive transmission out with one With Overdrive!!! Like a turbo 350 or 400?? Power Glide would be nice.
    How do I adjust the brake pedal rod?? scratch Just replaced entire system....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun May 24, 2009 5:21 pm

If you add a 350, 400 or Powerglide transmission,,,,the only difference you will notice is there aint no clutch pedal,,,,,,,the only automatic overdrives are the 700 and 200,,,,,,,,,the brake pedal rod adjustment is the bolt that connects the pushrod that comes out of the master cylinder to the brake pedal itself,,,,,it has a cam shoulder on it that moves the push rod in or out of the master cylinder when you turn it. Then you lock it down with that nut on it.....but I expect you will have a problem with air in the system which will give you low pedal height,,,,,,
    hywaychild
    hywaychild

Number of posts : 389
    Registration date : 2008-05-27

Post by hywaychild Mon May 25, 2009 7:05 am

boy did i come on the right day !! I was just about to ask the same thing al,ost . I want to rebuild a rear for my 64 because the old one works but it seems to have lots of backlash I wasn't sure what gears to but in it so now i'm thinking about a set of 308s .. The thing is now how hard might it be to find a set for a 64 axle ?? were would be a good place to start ??
    [img]Auto transmission swap - Page 3 64rebu34[/img]
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Mon May 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Im seeing a 12 bolt rear end? You might have to go shopping to find a smaller ratio for it. Im thinking from what Ive learned here is a 12 bolt in the vans might only be a 3:73 or a 4:11 ?

Post by Guest Mon May 25, 2009 7:47 pm

I think mine has a 12 bolt also, maybe thats why it dont go so fast. As far as I can tell, the speedo doesnt work yet.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Mon May 25, 2009 8:06 pm

I sat down with a pot of coffee and a calculator one morning and came up with 2250 rpm @ 60 mph in OD with a 700R with the 4:11's, if it was gonna be a daily driver Id definatley be thinkin of changin ratios. Also I started collecting some parts for the lock up on the 700 today, scrounged a kick out switch for the brakes and got a 4 pin plug ( my trans is a 1982) need to order a vacumn switch that should run about 40$, sounds like a simple thing to do, only need 1 wire to the trans.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:02 pm

After getting stuff around for the converter lock-up, that Painless system isnt looking to bad, in theory you could run the lock up manually with a simple switch but I dont see that as practical at all. I have been layin' under the van looking at our long brake lever trying to figure out a way to rig up another brake switch to it (like the painless kit supplies) or if there is a switch available that could tap into the brake system? Has anyone already done this ?
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651

Post by Scott Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:35 am

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:13 pm

I have the 7ooR4 with a 3:23 rear gear and the tire rolling high is 24.4", The tire measures 26" unloaded and the axle stands 12 off the ground loaded, when rolling, the tire is subject to centrifical force and becaomes 24.4" rolling high.

At 50 MPH in fourth gear TCC engaged my engine turns 1850 RPM

M1D
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:01 pm

Digs: I did the $12 brake switch, easy. Its a popular switch from any parts place. a spring loaded push button to on with a wether sealed button. wired right into the power wire from a 10 amp fuse going to the TCC solinoid.

It breakes the power when you just touch the brake pedal so the TCC disengages,
    ]
    Auto transmission swap - Page 3 Dscn0021

You just drill one hole. It stands only 3/4" high on the inside so its not in the way.
    Auto transmission swap - Page 3 Dscn0022

Out side I located it so the brake arm pushes the brake light switch lever against it. That way the TCC disemgages at the same time the brake lights come on.

Auto transmission swap - Page 3 Dscn0023
    Auto transmission swap - Page 3 Dscn0024
    Make sure the brake pedal return spring is tight enough to return the pedal and click the switches.

Auto transmission swap - Page 3 Dscn0025
    works great, I can touch the brake pedal while driving to hear and see on the Tach if the clutch disengages and re-engages when I let the brake pedal back up.

M1D

Last edited by m1dadio on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : photos)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:51 pm