VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
RodStRace
dix
rustytoolss
7 posters

refresh my memory. A100 ride quailty ???

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

refresh my memory. A100 ride quailty ??? Empty refresh my memory. A100 ride quailty ???

Post by rustytoolss Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:33 pm

All right my dad had an A108 1970 widow van 318/auto, when I was 14..long ago. First thing I ever drove. But that was 42 years ago. I do not remember much about the ride quality . Any one want to tell me what to expect if I buy an A100. I'm sure that I won't like what I will hear, so go ahead a burst my bubble. Thanks
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

refresh my memory. A100 ride quailty ??? Empty Re: refresh my memory. A100 ride quailty ???

Post by dix Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:59 pm

when i bought mine i did not drive it till i did a complete restoration on it so maybe i'm the wrong perwson to talk to. it takes a little getting use to but after i did the disc brake conversion I'll run 70 mph and not have a problem. but yes you do have to go thru the steering/the brakes/ the fuel system/ and so on ...

refresh my memory. A100 ride quailty ??? Empty Re: refresh my memory. A100 ride quailty ???

Post by rustytoolss Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:16 pm

dix wrote:when i bought mine i did not drive it till i did a complete restoration on it so maybe i'm the wrong perwson to talk to. it takes a little getting use to but  after i did the disc brake conversion I'll run 70 mph and not have a problem.  but yes you do have to go thru the steering/the brakes/ the fuel system/ and so on ...
    I've read about the disc brake coversion. But what I'm asking is about the ride quality. If it has a relativety smooth carish type ride/ or all out truck ride. I also read that by removing a few leaf spring on each corner it will lower the van, and improve the ride.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:40 pm

The ride with new shocks and steering working correctly is a lot smoother than i ever expected, and i'm conntent.

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:43 pm

The leaf removel will lower you stance/ride but I think it makes the ride less stable. or bounce more.hope Dodge- man reads this, I beleive he did it and ended up putting the leafs back in...

Post by rustytoolss Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:59 am

dix wrote:The ride with new shocks and steering working correctly is a lot smoother than i ever expected, and i'm conntent.
    you said getting to make the steering work correctly....what are standard steering problems that would be normal things ,that will need to get attention ? I don't have an A100 yet/ just want to know things before I jump into one. Thanks
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:32 am

Ride = it's a soild axle, leaf spring ride. You also sit directly over the front wheels.
    It's also designed for load carrying, so it's got to be able to handle unloaded and loaded weights.

Steering = it's a worm and recirculating ball system. This is old school compared to a rack and pinion with a looser feel.
    Here is a description page.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/steering.htm
    This site is pretty good with explainations. I haven't read all of them, but of the ones I have reviewed, most are well written and describe things properly. I'd suggest that anyone that wants to understand our vans and anything else bookmark the main page to be able to have a source for learning.

It is also used with a drag link and the previously mentioned straight axle with a single tie rod. This setup can 'kick back' when encountering bumps. The normal problems are worn and/or damaged parts.

Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:56 am

For reference< I have an unrestored '64A100. Theride is a little stiff empty, but new shocks make it way better, and they are cheap. Also, for the driver and passenger, it's kind of an odd feel,and i felt very "tippy" in corners at first, but have gotten used to that and can drive it like a car through the curves. With a load, it's much less bouncey/rattly than empty.

I would call it a truck kind of ride, but not a "2 ton truck" kind of ride. One thing you will notice as a driver, is that even with 14" rims,you tower over most things on the road, so you have great vision forward, which makes it much easier to plan for what's coming up...
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Any and all front end parts , King pins tie rods , drag link and sway bar bushings , if it doesn't have one then buy one..

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2013-04-25

Post by JariV Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:58 am

It is stiffer than passenger cars of the same era and has same kind of stiffness unloaded as smaller passenger cars from around the millenium. It is actually surprisingly good for the tech used.
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2013-02-22

Post by Wheelie Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Rides like a covered wagon in comparison to todays standards. After getting over the initial truck like ride which isnt terrible I had to get over the visualization of flying through the windshield in an accident. Smile Thats also why I bought 3 point seat belts and changing the seat design away from the "ejector seat" style function it has of folding forward for access.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:32 am

My van and suspension is still stock for the most part.

The pros:
    You sit high, easy line of sight with traffic.
    Fun when going down driveways the first few times, you feel like your falling!
    You get tons of looks and waves!
    Its a LITTLE bouncy, but the fun kind not annoying kind.
    Handles fairly well actually!!!
    Good power!, and a HELL of a lot of fun!
    Easy to drive and park, and NOBODY wants to break in or steal it. (usually)
    Having no hood makes your passengers nervous!!! Smile

Cons.
    A little stiff on bumps, take them a little slower to be comfy, otherwise it aint bad, just not "comfy"
    Steering is never easy, but not ridiculous.
    Manual drum brakes!!! DRIVE INTELLIGENTLY AND CAREFULLY!
    The large steering can get in the way sometimes, but you can easily change it if it does.
    Steering in a parking lot? UGH!
    The engine box can get a bit warm at times. But then...You dont really need a heater either!.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 4:29 pm