VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+11
SteelyVan
dix
JD
vanny
Space Truckin
threequartersleeve
Gothboy
Joe Van
G-Man
61econoline
trevorDBSC
15 posters

drove my first early van yesterday!

trevorDBSC
    trevorDBSC

Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2013-03-21

drove my first early van yesterday! Empty drove my first early van yesterday!

Post by trevorDBSC Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:43 pm

ya! i went to look at a 65 ford falcon. i`m actually looking for a 1st gen chev but figured i`d go look at the ford anyway. it looked really good in the pîcs but a whole different story in person. lotsa bondo. anyway, he let me drive it around! if i allready wasnt hooked, I am now!
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

drove my first early van yesterday! Empty Re: drove my first early van yesterday!

Post by 61econoline Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:55 pm

Lol Been driving early econolines off and on since I was 15,once you drive one your hooked.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

drove my first early van yesterday! Empty Re: drove my first early van yesterday!

Post by G-Man Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:44 am

Those first drives are a blast, feels like your going 100 miles a hour without the hood LOL
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

drove my first early van yesterday! Empty Drove my first early van yesterday

Post by Joe Van Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:01 pm

I have owned and driven many pro street cars, custom van's, and trucks,and nothing gives me the excitement of driving my Early van. After many years of wanting one the right one came along new years day just got it on the road about 2 months ago and cant get enough of it. If I cant find some where to go I just sit in it in my garage and crank the tunes. My wife says I am obsessed with the van [well maby she is right] once you own a early van or pick up you are hooked. The right one will come along it will be well worth the wait. GOOD LUCK.........JOE VAN
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:55 am

Consider this. I had a crap A van in the 90's. literally crap. It made me want one again for all these years.

I bought another late last year. It runs rough, squeaks, rattles, is bumpy and has bad steering...

And I would drive it every day over any other car I have had in the past and now (and Im with JoeVan, Ive had some super rad cars!). Why? Its just sucha fun feeling with these vans!!!

And so I DO drive it everyday! Very Happy
    trevorDBSC
    trevorDBSC

Number of posts : 22

Post by trevorDBSC Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:20 pm

when i say i drove it around, i mean i drove it around his yard in 1st gear! lol. it had no brakes! it was still fun though. i`m hopefully going to look at a 64 chevy this week! cant wait to get one
    threequartersleeve
    threequartersleeve

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2013-01-01

Post by threequartersleeve Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:35 pm

I love this posting- I've only driven mine for 5 minutes (there was 8 inches of snow on the ground when I bought) in between the trailer and the garage, but that short time is what's really getting me through the drawn out restoration- it was like nothing I'd done before, it felt great!!!! I'm reliving it just by reading all these posts (including all those early rules of the road....)
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:59 pm

You would be hooked!!! cheers cheers cheers
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:24 pm

They've got the FEE-VAHHHHHHHH!!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    JD
    JD

Number of posts : 82

Post by JD Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:54 am

The first test drive in my van got me hooked as well.

JD
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:57 pm

yep we got a nother one.

Number of posts : 112
    Registration date : 2009-08-14

Post by SteelyVan Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:12 pm

A happy pill. Without a prescription or consequence!
    campin'fool 2
    campin'fool 2

Number of posts : 252
    Registration date : 2013-02-02

Post by campin'fool 2 Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:35 pm

I can't explain what make an early so cool to drive. The tumbs-up from the on lookers, the incredable cool lines that ALL manufacturers put out there, a engine bay for an armrest...To drive one is to smile.

Joel
    flyinlow
    flyinlow

Number of posts : 42
    Registration date : 2013-01-04

Post by flyinlow Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Short wheelbase, relatively light weight, straight axle with leaf springs in front and sitting over the front tires all add up to unusual handling qualities that let things feel fun without getting speeding tickets.
    threequartersleeve
    threequartersleeve

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2013-01-01

Post by threequartersleeve Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:05 am

Its a combination of AWESOME and TERRIFYING at the same time!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:49 am

flyinlow wrote:Short wheelbase, relatively light weight, straight axle with leaf springs in front and sitting over the front tires all add up to unusual handling qualities that let things feel fun without getting speeding tickets.

Yep.
    Get in any normal car from the past 20 years (93-up), and they all feel similar. Safe, boring and you can have a drink next to you and a cell phone in your hand next to your head. You could drive it with one hand, one foot and never look down at the dash. This is great for the people that simply want to be somewhere ASAP and without any interaction, connection or commitment.

A van requires you to get in, operate and drive it with much more involvement. You have to work the controls, pay attention to stuff that is going to happen BEFORE it gets to you, mentally adjust for the different driving position, feel and hear the drivetrain and suspension tell you stuff, and understand that the vehicle has lower limits of handling and safety, so YOU are responsible and YOU gotta pay attention!
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

drove my first early van yesterday! Empty Drove my first early van yesterday

Post by Joe Van Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:01 pm

YOU nailed it RodStRace..... cheers.........
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:32 am

Re 93+ vehicles...

I HATE the feeling of getting into a box to be shipped somewhere. Think about it. Youve been pre-packaged. Once you sit down, you feel restricted by any movements that arent driving. Why? Because youve been wrapped by protective packaging to keep you safe from the outside world.

I happen to like the messed up world and the adventure of not living in a sheltered package all cozy and safe. No risk no fun. You have to work for fun. I live for the fun. These earlies ARE MADE OF FUN! Win win!

And rod? Excellent description! Very Happy

Wheelie
    Wheelie

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2013-02-22

Post by Wheelie Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:43 pm

I tell you what, After driving my van in the rain today fighting the foggy windows (and lack thereof), Intermittently working wipers and turn signals, leaking sunroof pouring on my face and legs and trying to hold my morning coffee it was definitely a challenge!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:50 pm