VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+19
morbank
Vantasia
dodge man
Larry
Digz
HandiVanMan
vanner68
rustybug13
millwright71
campin'fool 2
Gothboy
vanny
tristessa
Joe Van
Twinpilot001
G-Man
donivan65
Big W
Xelmon
23 posters

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window

Xelmon
    Xelmon

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window Empty New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window

Post by Xelmon Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:35 pm

After much silence, I can finally talk again, as things are progressing steadily.

The Topic with my Crashed '68 panel Sad

Well, today that changes... As I got a newer van! Very Happy

Essentially rust free original paint van, of course non-running.

Makes ya wonder how many of them have been tagged as such.
    It has a 250 with supposedly a Saginaw behind it. Don't know which one, will inspect later.

Began it's life as a school "bus" for the Center for Living and Learning located in Vancouver, WA, just across the river. At some point it was sold, and it was used as a punk rocker van. Last registered in '87, it has sat in a field until 2002 the owner of a salvage yard up North Portland bought it. Sat there almost untouched until they pushed forward a few months ago to do something with it, when my friend noticed it off of I-205. The rest is history. Smile

Notice how the guy started cleaning the right side. Turns out that's just a rough clean, with a full clean she may actually shine again. The tires are hilariously incorrect.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window 1ZPlfLEl

Rear door comparison... Dad's handywork.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window RiMsSiUl

The bad side... Mmmm, green. affraid

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window NpMkx3el

And the cabin. Seen better days. Do not worry, all of that on the ground is dirt, it's basically rust free there.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window Y4MBCfBl

The engine on the other hand is absolutely horrendous... I was initially worried as the guy said that it's either a 230 or 235. After some - finally - close up inspection and seeing a Monojet, it's neither. It's a 250. My 250 will slip into this bad-boy with zero hassles. Very Happy

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window UPa4ATXl

Huh... Mk, I guess it sat for a while.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window 4jjugFrl

Ah, the gas tank. The guy didn't remember if I had a good one, and I kinda went "Ehm, not really" nice and quick. So he threw in a "has to be redone" tank... Honestly I just wanted it out of the yard and in my hands to pass along to a vanner in need!

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window SJtNOhpl

And the oddity... A retractable step. The usual spot is only somewhat there with a plastic cover on top. There is a plastic battery box opposite side, behind the driver.
    So, should I keep it?

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window MaXJXqnl

So what do you guys say... Decent for $1000?

And of course this means that old whitey had to move. T_T
    A friend has a big honkin' truck with a winch, so it made the operation very easy.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window YO675Bpl

A 2 fer shot... One comes, the other goes... Sad

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window JSySfoGl
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window Empty Re: New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window

Post by Big W Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:51 pm

Right on Xelmon, glad to see your getting back in the saddle. your new van seems pretty good. Looks like she'll clean up real nice. How much of your crashed van will you be able to swap over to help the orange one get on the road?
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window Empty Re: New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window

Post by Xelmon Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Ah, looks like you're a Ford fellow.

At this point, 100%. 67-69 changes were minimal. Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Well,,,,you have a Handi Bus,,,,,,some did come with a slide out step,,,,,,and if they did, the battery box would be under the passenger seat,,,,,,if it was added by someone, there would still be a hole in the floor or look like it, and a cover behind the passenger seat where the battery used to live,,,,,,I don't care for a battery to be inside a van,,,,,,I would take your old cover and bracket and cut a hole in the floor behind the drivers seat and mount it down there in case you fall in love with that step,,,,,,
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:13 pm

That's the thing, the pattern is still present in the sheet metal, yet most of it covered up. It only has a small cut to access... Whatever it is, a control of some sorts I ass-...

Maybe there's an actuator connected to the door? I'll have to check later, it's in the right 'plane' of sorts.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:49 pm

There is a slot with a lever sticking up and a rod that hooks to the side door that pulls the lever each time the door opens which causes the step to come out,,,,,and there is supposed to be a big plastic cover hiding the rod and lever......for you to trip over.....

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window Rich_012

Last edited by donivan65 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:54 pm

Sounds about right. It probably hasn't worked in many many moons then. Very Happy
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:53 am

Nice van!!!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:11 am

Sair enough!! Get Her=DONE!!
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window Empty New beast on the block!

Post by Joe Van Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:24 am

GOOD LOOKING VAN the body is straight and solid.

Post by Xelmon Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:16 pm

JOE VAN wrote:GOOD LOOKING VAN the body is straight and solid.
    To my folks dismay - still live at home, I'm a "young" vanner Smile - I got it since the body was in such good condition.
    tristessa
    tristessa

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2013-01-23

Post by tristessa Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:57 pm

Parts are collecting. On Xelmon's behalf, I scored a "0-mile" (never had fluid in it) rebuilt 200-4R tranny at the Portland swap meet last weekend. Delivered a pile of parts to him this afternoon as well -- motor mounts, tranny mount, u-joints, manifold gaskets, rear main seal, timing cover gasket, pan gasket, freeze plugs, rattle can of Chevy Orange engine enamel, vacuum switch for the lockup converter wiring project. Still need to get the torque converter itself, flywheel cover, dipstick, dipstick tube .. build a crossmember, do all the work.

As soon as he gets done with his studies & classwork he's gonna be busy.

.. and just realized I've never even made an introductory post here. I'll have to get on that. I'm one of the local "VW" crew in Portland but I was messing with old Chevys (pre WWWII) before that, and will be messing with them again in the future.

Last edited by tristessa on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Oh hay tris!

VV-ers, meet Tristessa... He's the one who tipped me off to both the '68 Chevy and this GMC.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:31 pm

Welcome to VV tristessa.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Welcome!!!! Vanner is a vanner VV or VW
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:10 pm

It's nice to have friends like that! Looks like a nice fresh start for you!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:23 am

Dude! That orange deal looks great! I would even keep it orange for a while, it seems to be even decent paint!!! Great deal guys! As far as the step...If you can get it to work reliable and easily I would keep it. Mine wasnt quite as easy so I dumped it. NICE RIG!!!
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window Empty New beast on the block-69 GMC 90" window

Post by Joe Van Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:31 pm

SO what happened to the other van was it a (TREE)???? ........Those deep rims painted Orange and the hubcaps from your old van would look AWESOME on your new van.(Keep the van Orange it looks good and its the factory color) .........JOE.........
    tristessa
    tristessa

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2013-01-23

Post by tristessa Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:52 am

What happened to the other van:
    New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window DSCF6333

Torque converter's been shipped, ETA is Friday .. but I'm gonna be off camping that day. Found a dipstick for the 200-4R at the wreckers last weekend, still need the flywheel dust cover but otherwise I think all the major parts to get the GMC together with the drivetrain & gas tank from the Chevy are on-hand.

I'm hoping to see things start coming apart/together before I fly out on the 5th...
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Thu May 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Sadly progress has been slow, I was pulling 50 hour weeks at the Formula SAE lab, so I was essentially booked for a few weeks... Months there.

However, progress!
    A few days ago the weather let up and it was the last decent sunny day per forecast, so I took it, and went ahead and painted the engine block!

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window Ehb20fWl

I'll be the first to admit that it won't be perfect, as I missed some spots that have mud caked on. Then again, it was taking a long time to get it all clean.
    After looking up some codes, the engine was cast June 24th, '68, and assembled on the 25th. Looks like they were flying at the time.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window DqAzgnVl

When I dropped the oil pan to check the lower end and clean it for painting, I found something awfully cute.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window NhOeko6l

In the end I put the oil pan and valve cover back as it was getting a bit late, and the tape wasn't up to par.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window XBehDrTl

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window LWeGwRbl

And tara! Wonderful engine enamel! Have to wait some 7 days to really work with it, plenty to do in the mean time.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window AndHu1ml
    campin'fool 2
    campin'fool 2

Number of posts : 252
    Registration date : 2013-02-02

Post by campin'fool 2 Fri May 24, 2013 4:10 am

Cool van! Congratulations!!

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri May 24, 2013 4:38 am

engine looks great
    millwright71
    millwright71

Number of posts : 531
    Registration date : 2012-05-28

Post by millwright71 Fri May 24, 2013 5:09 am

Moving right along! Nice looking van you got there!

Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Fri May 24, 2013 9:41 am

ENGINE LOOKS GREAT you are really moveing right along on the van. I did not see the picture of the white van until today. Sad .MAN THAT SUCKES how did it wind up down there.? scratch...JOE...
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Sat May 25, 2013 10:17 pm

@ Joe: Oohhhh, it was a combination of lack of experience and environmental variables, as the rock hard dirt road had gravel. The VW guys I hang out with still give me shit for that. Very Happy

@ Thread:
    I'll have to say that the more I swim under this van, the more obvious it becomes that this poor thing may have been taken care of for the first part of its life, then it was beaten and not taken care of...
    I'll post pictures of the "Surface" rust later.

For now, progress!!

Today was spent with lots of good work instead of tooling around like yesterday, with projects such as removing the bars for the manual transmission, removing the steering column, and preparing for an automatic column switchover.
    It also helped that it was magically good weather - like I hoped and predicted. As I was knee deep in grease and mud, all pictures are post-morten.

Before picture commence, it has to be said that the pitman arm was removed with an actual proper puller, $13, three twists, and it was off.

First off the 4 bolts that held the pedal in place... It should be mentioned also that I am preparing for the 3-o-a-T to 200R4 swap.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window QzGD6h5l

On the other side of the frame rail is the general fluster-cluck. The automatic was cake-walk compared to this. One of the transmission rods had to go out to the front, through the lowest slit, while the other went out to the back. I gotta hand it to GM though, overall it's a very solid system, and you have to really screw up to bend a rod.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window 8n2tjJ6l

Even the transmission linkage support bolts didn't snap, you just had to give it all to turn them, and whack it with a hammer. Even though things were rusty, things were looking good... Until I got to the throttle linkage.
    I told dad to press the gas pedal, as I couldn't move it by hand... Well, he pressed it, and the rod was bending a bit. Then I just went to remove that whole deal, since it's obviously rusted. Turns out the gas pedal sleeve/housing is rusted into one/apart, with busting 2 outta 3 screws simply twisting off.
    The linkage I'll do my damnedest to save, however the pedal and the sleeve are goners.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window 3gjsvBIl

Interior at the moment... Pretty empty.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window UBLJH4Hl

BWAAAAA God I love being greasy! Very Happy

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window DtT9Qdul

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:44 pm