VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Casimier
Buzzard
6 posters

BRAKE DRUMS

Buzzard
    Buzzard

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2012-07-01

BRAKE DRUMS Empty BRAKE DRUMS

Post by Buzzard Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Been hitting auto part stores and no one seems to be able to get the larger brake drums for the rear of my van. Already got a huge lesson on axel ratings and everybody can order the smaller drums. Question??? does anybody know where i can get the larger drums from or will the larger front drums fit the rear??
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

BRAKE DRUMS Empty Re: BRAKE DRUMS

Post by Casimier Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:24 pm

Vic aka Old skool has just got a shipment in,,contact him
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:33 pm

I just found this on Mac's. I don't know if this is what you're looking for but check it out.
    http://macsautoparts.com/search.asp?sb=0&ls=y&camid=ECO&year=1967&make=Ford&ss=rear+brake+drum&x=0&y=0

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

Post by Buzzard Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:04 pm

Stopped by napa before going to 2nd job and they said they could get them got the part #440-1146 crazy thing is i just looked it up and it shows it under front brakes but she found it under rear brakes also so would it be true that the front drums could be used in the rear??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:35 pm

Normally the front shoes are wider than the rear shoes,,,,,,can you tell if your shoes are the same width or different?
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

Post by Buzzard Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:57 pm

Brake pads are the same for the front and rear so you would think the drums would be the same?? Am i the only one who has a heavy duty rear end, anbody else out there with a 3000 real axel and running into the same situation
    scarlin
    scarlin

Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

Post by scarlin Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:47 pm

Any Econoline/Falcon with a 144/170 61 to 67 came with a & 7-1/4" lightweight rear. They have the 2" wide shoes. A heavy duty option or a 240 after 65 would have a 9" rear with 2-1/2" shoes.
    The front drums are a part of the hub assembly, taking them apart without doing it right could ruin both.
    V8 Mustangs and trucks in the 60' with the 9" would use the same drums.
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

Post by Buzzard Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:37 pm

I wouldnt be removing them i would be buying a new set and installing them in the rear. From what it soulds like they just carried over the larger drums from the front and put them in the rear minus the fins and went with just a reg drum and i really dont think a finned drum in the rear is going to affect drive abilty or stopping, crazy thing is that this ons parts store i went to the old guy behind the counter rememberd working on these vans and made the comment how the smaller pads would wear a grove in the drum so way back then they were installing the wrong pads on the heavy dutys...
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:35 pm

OLD POSTS,,, but to remind all... ANY TIME you replace a front drum, it is ASSEMBLED from two parts, and what is called STAKING the studs holds the drum tight and makes the two as one unit. If there is any wobble in the spindle it doesnt matter then as the assembled unit is turned and made to be straight and true.
    IF YOU DO NOT remove the expanded metal at the base of the stud that has been staked/swaged and force that expanded metal through your hub, you will ruin the hub and have to now use oversized studs or as many do tack weld the studs in place. It is NOT an old wives tale, it IS TRUE, but very few automotive machine shops NOW A DAYS have even heard of it..LOL.. Its like a rivet works. The shank of the new stud should protrude slightyly higher than the drum surface and when the tool presses that extra material down and into the drum it forms it as one unit.

BRAKE DRUMS 000_0510

BRAKE DRUMS 100_1010

Old Skool

Buzzard
    Buzzard

Post by Buzzard Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:17 pm

Read your post a long time ago concerning front drum assembly and cutting the drums out, anybody in the Chicago land area LEE Auto parts on Lee st in the town of DisPlains ILL will do the service. Talk to Hank Maklezow(shop mgr) 847-299-7766. Had a real nice conversation with him about our old vans and this web site.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:08 am