VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
wideload
donivan65
bensbus
7 posters

Second Generation doghouse info sought

bensbus
    bensbus

Number of posts : 171
    Registration date : 2012-09-23

Second Generation doghouse info sought Empty Second Generation doghouse info sought

Post by bensbus Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Wondering if all second generation vans have the larger doghouse and are they ready to accept a V8?

I am looking at a '68 with a straight 6, but would want to upgrade the motor at some point. Is it doable?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Second Generation doghouse info sought Empty Re: Second Generation doghouse info sought

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:33 pm

All the 2nd Gens, 1967 to 1970 have the same doghouse,,,,fits the 6 and 8 cylinder,,,,,however,,,,there are 2 different radiator set ups,,,,a downflow and a crossflow,,,,,and both engines could of come with the crossflow type, which be about the best cooling system that any Chevy Van came with......

Second Generation doghouse info sought 2nd_ge10
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Second Generation doghouse info sought Empty Re: Second Generation doghouse info sought

Post by wideload Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:10 am

What Don has posted is the cross flow system that is used with the V8. If the van your looking at is a I6 and has the down flow radiator it won't have the upper and lower mounts or the surge tank. The down flow radiator mounts with flanges on each side and there's sheet metal on each side in the doghouse that it mounts to that isn't in there with the V8 setup.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 am

i HAVE A ORIGIONAL 1967 GEN -2 CHEV VAN- 283 & POWERGLIDE- IT DID COME WITH THE DOWNFLOW RADIATOR!= TO MY KNOWLEDGE ON THESE 2ND GEN VANS- 68 & UP ALL CAME WITH CROSSFLOW RADIATORS (parts listings) .Ill also add that all 10 bolt rear axle ratios 67& up were optional on gear ratios- yet most dealers did select the 3:08 & 3.36 ratios yet all were not posi types - that also was optional. Mine came with a posy 3:73 -1 ratio.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:57 pm

What twinpilot said. The 67 was a changeover year and in some instances (parts used) are kind of on their own; where the 68 to 70s are all more or less the same.

m1d
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:01 pm

So what your saying is that 68-70 with an I6 has the cross flow radiator?

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:42 pm

I have seen 6 cylinders with a crossflow,,,,looked factory,,,,,I am thinking that it might be an option or like a trailer towing package,,,,
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:25 am

67 to 70 came with down flow or cross flow. all I am saying is the 67 can not always be grouped in with the 68 and up, it has similarities mostly but also some differences.

m1d
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:00 am

exactly!!=many diff mfgs-of many lines of autos/vans were required to change certian parts due to safety concerns.Dual masters, dash pads & even some were still optional-due to change over datse too-allowing use of parts till used up until certian dates became mandatoy. I have never liked the deletion of vent windows and the high beam switch relocated to the steering column=yet i believe were done to cut production costs! look at the use of metals , chrome & such versus the plastics still in use today. being an old fart= affraid =i can still remember going into a dealership-& under 21 ages too & ordering a new car -buily with all the options i wanted - delievered in usuallt 90 days or less & putting a $100.00 deposit on it to get it started!! COD & the total costs was under $3000.00 cheers AHHHHHHHHHHHH-The god ol days . Thats before we ever had anything called ="Credit Cards"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And there wasnt any national debt either!!
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:44 am

Does anyone know if they produced any second gens with a I6 that came factory with the cross flow radiator (not special ordered that way)? The only second gen's with I6 that I've seen had the down flow setup (my 67,68 and nightmoves 69).

bowtied
    bowtied

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2011-04-13

Post by bowtied Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:53 pm

My 67 parts van has a crossflow in it. It is a factory powerglide. I understood all autos in '67 used the crossflow??
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:07 pm

My 67 was a powerglide, I6 with the downflow.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:13 pm

I would say if the upper crossmember is welded on,,,,,that would make it a factory set up......I have seen bolted on ones that were added,,,,,,
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:00 pm

68 to 70 V8 came with the cross flow. I have only seen the down flow in I6 vans of all years 64 to 70.

Another tread some time ago reported that the 64 to 67 came only with down flow including the 67 V8 van. the 67 had some oddities as a change over year. the 67 only came with the 16 gallon gas tank like the first gens. the 24 gallon tank started in 68.

m1D
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:10 pm

my 70 parts van had a factory 6cyl,powerlide with the crossflow setup. Bill
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Once upon a time,,,,,,, I had to chisel out the upper crossmember in a van in Pik a Part to get a crossflow radiator out of a 2nd Gen with a 6 cylinder......
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:02 pm

I think between Bill and Don, those two have seen more vans then everybody else all added together.

So some 2nd gen vans came with Cross flow rads and 6 cylinder. Any ideas on how that is or can be distinguished from the down-flow 6 cylinders?

I am always on the hunt for parts vans and cross-flow dog houses and such but I have been ignoring L6 vans believing they were all down-flow.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:47 pm

I kind of think it could be a Heavy Duty Cooling option for a 6 cylinder,,,,,if that upper crossmember is welded on, I would think that cooling system is factory,,,,,if it is bolted on, someone robbed it off a V8 and put it on it,,,,,but maybe the PowerGlide has something to do with it,,,,,,but lets just see how many of those 6 cylinders show up with a crossflow and see if there is some sort of pattern to it......another thing for our THINGS TO FIGURE OUT LIST.....
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:20 am

I agree, the upper radiator support being welded in would be a good indicator of a factory install. Seems like there is always something new to learn about our old vans.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:14 pm

This looks like an orginal 6 cylinder with a crossflow and a PowerGlide,,,,,,,,

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/3653814660.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 9:53 pm