VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
dix
m1dadio
RodStRace
Digz
mikeysly
9 posters

parts values

mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

parts values Empty parts values

Post by mikeysly Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:35 pm

i've got a lot of parts people want and need but i'm a p!ss poor and sh!t out o'luck individual who has never sold or shipped anything before. do we have a resource for general price values of parts (according to us), how does money get exchanged and what are the best ways to ship parts? thanks......
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

parts values Empty Re: parts values

Post by Digz Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:55 pm

I usually ship UPS because it's easy and if I use my local Farmers Elevator I have found it to be a a lot cheaper than using the UPS Store. Me and the Post offices hours usually don't coincide to well to go that route. Set yourself up a Paypal Account. It's pretty easy to use. I have also never had a problem with a Vanner and a personal check. Prices and allowing yourself a little for effort is almost a judgment call. Someone else will have to give a better educated opinion there. Good Luck with it.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:31 am

M, I'm with you on the pricing and shipping.
    I will offer some advise that I'm learned thru the posts of others.
    1. Pricing = you gotta cover the part, a bit for your time to pull, clean and pack, plus the shipping. Most of the time, a small box of goodies that are collecting dust will help you clean shop and thrill the buyer. However, if you get into this on a regular basis, you will be spending a bunch of time and shipping some costly stuff that you probably can't easily replace if lost/damaged. Don't expect to get rich, but don't give yourself a heart attack for nothing either.

2. Shipping = you really should ship with a company that tracks and insures. There are horror stories with every big carrier. Each have been accused and have done damage, lost and won't pay out when stuff happens. Pick one you have a good local connection with, because it will be you going after any problems, not the recipient. Do track and insure!
    That whole packing thing = If the money involved is more than you can afford to loose, take good pics of the item, and how it's wrapped and handed to the carrier. Most claims are tossed due to "not packaged properly to avoid damage". The shippers vary, but they typically expect to be able to drop the package from 3-6 feet into concrete. Easy enough for a U-joint, harder for a cluster and lens. Often it requires boxing the item tightly in one box, then putting that box inside another with bubble wrap or Styrofoam peanuts between the two boxes. Many times it's better to have the shipping store wrap, but still take pics and understand that the shipper will still say it wasn't packed right!
    Also, many items for these vans are heavy and/or big! This presents a whole other level of problems best left to communication and finding what your local shipper can handle. Greyhound is often used for oversize stuff that is still under 50-75 pounds. Check with them.

3. Payment = Paypal is the easiest, but has a pretty bad rep for siding with the buyer even with proof of fault. They will pull money out of your account without warning too. For any other payment, make sure your bank fully approves the funds, not merely accept it then charge back on you later.

4. Communication and proof = Most issues I see with this stuff is due to communication. Either the part wasn't as expected, the timeline was not agreed to or the buyer just can't get answers in a timely fashion or at all. Make sure to provide good, clear pictures and a description, along with contact info and times that you can be reached. Keep track of each purchase and shipping method, provide tracking and make sure you contact the buyer and get confirmation of arrival and happiness (hopefully in writing = email).
    I will say that 99% of the people you deal with are not going to be a problem if you send a decent part and communicate. However, there are some people that are either just never going to be happy or are out to scam you out of the part and money. It doesn't hurt to ask about people on the forum and do a few quick searches on the name and address. There are known scammers out there that buy parts with bad payments, claim that the package never arrived (even when tracking shows) and stop payment and ask for refunds and I've even seen a guy who "returned" the parts but had a couple bricks in the box!

Last edited by RodStRace on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling!)
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:03 am

I got a tip from one of the guys on Boxes, I now raid the local furniture store when I run into something big that has to go out. Not only boxes big enough to cut up but sometimes packing material.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:27 pm

Never mind the "fragile stickers" that just makes the handlers boot your box across the floor and slam the door on it or drive over it with a fork lift.If you want something to arrive undamaged, wrap it up in childrens birthday gift wrapping.

seems to work in Canada anyway.

M1D
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:42 pm

wow never heard of that idea.

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:42 pm

That's because you are in America where our postal workers take their frustrations out on each other.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:20 pm

Postal workers? seriously, they are an odd group in any country.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:21 am

M1 for the win!!!! ^^^ HAHHHAAAAAA!!!!!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:33 am

From=EXPERIENCE!!= I worked part time as a us postmaster @ 3 small offices!! @years -i did that & honestly-ive seen everything that could happen to a pacakage =done to it!! Ive shipped ups also many times too!- I even had a restoed schwinn bicycle shipped to me ups- was garabage when it arrived in a factory box!! FED=X has always been the best as ive had nothing -dented, damaged , or even lost by this company!1 Theyre the BEST!1 Id also suggest to add insurance for what the value of stuff is being shipped by any carrier -protects you & the buyer!! Be sure to cover ur =B _ _T and the purchasers too. MY nickle is for always FED X cheers now.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:34 pm

i have seen fedex and ups carry packages halfway across my lawn and toss on porch, already turned towards truck before it evan lands! the post office actually sets it on my chair, saves me from bending down for it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:43 am