VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Concerning slant 6 compatibility...

Concerning slant 6 compatibility... Empty Concerning slant 6 compatibility...

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:23 pm

Hey guys,so we got a junk yard with a couple 225 /6's in some various auto's and trucks there....I really need a timing cover/tab for my 170 slant,the little tab for timing on mine is bent and unreadable,also would like to pull the entire rocker assmbly for good measure,will these 225 goodies bolt up to my 170? while I'm there,how do I tell a 2 barrel from a 1? just in case I have a super 6 set-up sittin in front of me I would like to know so I don't waste my time
    unbolting and buying the same setup I already have....thanks in advance,for any available ol'school knowledge/tips/tricks/info......

Concerning slant 6 compatibility... Empty Re: Concerning slant 6 compatibility...

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Hey,B.T.W,I didn't no 'van go' was a name somebody else came up with for their van....it's a name I thought fit at the time and now don't have a choice but to keep it...the way it goes,sides I'm on here for help from the guys that got the laid back know-how to deal with a dude like me,I love this van,and despite the fact i'm no mechanic i'm learnin at my own pace anyway and I'm not givin up on this van....pleased to make your acquantance,Chris soCal.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Concerning slant 6 compatibility... Empty Re: Concerning slant 6 compatibility...

Post by RodStRace Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:29 am

I have not messed with many 170s. In fact, I don't know if I've ever worked on one.
    That said, the 225 is supposed to be simply a Raised Block from a 170. The taller deck allows a longer stroke.

So, front cover should work and the same with the rocker arm assembly.

I will say that the later engines DO have some differences.
    They are described in detail over at slantsix.org, but the jist of them are;
    Pre-68 use a different register on the back of the crank. Stuff doesn't interchange.
    Somewhere in the mid to late 70s, they went to the solid head without the spark plug tubes. The internals are the same. Same being that they interchange, not that the same cam and compression was used.
    Around 81(?) they changed to a cast crank and a different block. These don't interchange. They are also hydraulic cams at or near this point. This means the cam, lifters, pushrods and rockers are different.

Again, confirm all this by reading the experts on this stuff. This is all off the top of my head. If you get a solid grasp on the exact differences and year breaks, please write a thread on them for the Between The Seats or This Is How It's Done sections so we can all refer to it in the future. Another resource that is often great is Allpar.com

As for 1bbl VS 2bbl, they used various manifolds and carbs over the years. Look at the base of the carb or look down the throat to determine if it's a 2 bbl super six. I have pics of a 1bbl and 2bbl in my thread Rod's AZ 108... on page 8 here. Make sure to save them to your computer so you can see the whole thing.
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t20340p105-rod-s-az-a-108

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:02 am

Can't bring your pictures up full on the mac Rod,when I'm at the yard lookin down the throat of the carb,if it's not a one lunger,what's going to look different looking strait down into a two barrel?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:29 pm

1bbl O
    2bbl OO
    make sure to get all the linkage and air cleaner!

Concerning slant 6 compatibility... Intake1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:37 pm