VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Digz
donivan65
ncbkr2002
7 posters

oil leak coming from ?????

ncbkr2002
    ncbkr2002

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

oil leak coming from ????? Empty oil leak coming from ?????

Post by ncbkr2002 Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:44 am

ok ... heres the deal ... i have replaced the oil pan gasket, rear main seal, timing cover seal and gasket, intake/exhaust manifold gaskets, side cover gaskets, valve cover gasket, oil filter ... seems like everything but the water pump, thermostat, and head gasket.and i still have an oil leak. i put 2 bottles of dye in the oil and ran it for over 20 minutes and got everything hot and using the ultra violet light in the dark ( after 7pm )and the CSI glasses i can not find any leak other than a very small one where the grommet goes in the top of the valve cover and the pcv valve is located. so im wonderin if the head gasket could be leaking or could i have a cracked head or block ?. oil is ALL over the dog house sides and the cover , both sides of the engine, the plug wires, distributor. any ideas where to look ? it just seems insane that with 2 bottles of dye in it that i cant see any leak. after i replaced the gaskets and seals i could go about 150 miles before i needed any oil ... then it was like 1/2 qt. HELP !!! im going insane lookin for this leak
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

oil leak coming from ????? Empty Re: oil leak coming from ?????

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:12 pm

What engine do you have? Take the oil cap off and feel if air is coming out or being sucked in,,,,,it should be sucking in if the PCV system is working AND you have a breather cap or tube one it,,,,,If the rings are worn,,,the compression will be going into the valve cover and shoving the oil out every single gasket and seal,,,,,,
    ncbkr2002
    ncbkr2002

Post by ncbkr2002 Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 pm

ill check that out as soon as i put the plugs back in but i just checked every cylinder and they ALL registered 150 psi exactly except #6 and it was 160 psi ... its a 230cid
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:24 pm

You got do a little more CSI work Grissom,,,,,start at the top,,,,,oil flows down,,,,,and towards the back,,,,,,see if the valve cover is leaking,,,,see if the side covers under the spark plugs are leaking,,,,,but #1 in my book is the front pulley,,,,timing cover seal and worn out harmonic balancer,,,,fan blows the oil all over the distributor and alternator,,,,,
    ncbkr2002
    ncbkr2002

Post by ncbkr2002 Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:38 pm

valve cover has new gasket, new front seal with harmonic balancer/ front pulley has repair sleeve, new timing gear cover gasket, new oil pan gasket but i still cant understand how 2 bottles of dye in the oil cant be seen even after being run for about 30 minutes at various speeds. when the valve cover was off along with the side covers ... i made certain there were no plugged return oil holes and put back together with new gaskets ... it seems mind boggling .. lol
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:32 pm

In my book,,,,,,those rubber gaskets leak more than cork,,,,,and cork leak when you tighten them too tight,,,,,,so where is the leak,,,,,above or below the spark plugs? is it towards the front or rear of the engine,,,,is it on the drivers or passenger side?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Like Don says in his first post. Make sure your engine is breathing right. The PCV should be connected to the intake manifold , but also it has to be able to draw air into the block to keep the correct pressure. Either an open air breather at the fill on the valve cover or one of those hose set ups that go from the valve cover to the riser beneath the air filter.
    I goofed on my V8 and didn't have this right and it would pump oil out of the front and rear seals.
    ncbkr2002
    ncbkr2002

Post by ncbkr2002 Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:13 pm

Digz u might have somethin there ... there was a tube coming out from the side of the valve cover that went to a stack under the air cleaner but was blocked off. the PCV valve is working correctly and is connected to the intake. but there is oil ALL over the engine and engine compartment. i used only cork gaskets and all are new. i'll see what i can do to find a tube or figure out a way to put some kinda small breather in that hole in the side of the valve cover. also when i took all of the plugs out to do a compression check every plug had a puddle of oil around it. like i said its all over the place but why cant i find the leak when i have 2 bottles of dye in it ?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:24 pm

LOL . Can't tell ya on the dye. But I'll guarantee on the breather setup, It will blow crap all over , but it will do it worse as the RPMs go pup.I have only used dye for hydraulic leaks on equipment. maybe there is enough detergent in Motor oil to make it disappear??
    Farmer
    Farmer

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2010-12-27

Post by Farmer Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Oil pressure sending unit, or if you have a mechanical gauge, the little plastic hose that goes from the engine to the gauge. My worst leak was the camshaft plug at the rear of the block, made it look like the rear main was leaking. Take it for a drive and check it under load.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:55 am

Bump
    Any luck with ya leak , NC?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:11 pm

crankcase3 pressuer!! guys are all corect- likely way to much blow by & the harder that engine works ??=More blow by! Remove the top of the DH & get on the highway a while -u will see it then!! affraid
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:51 pm

I've experimented with the big vac port near the engine block (on the intake of course) and the smaller one just under the carb mount. I like the one closer to the carb in hope that it mixes raw air with fuel mix and is less likely to burn valves. I really don't know which one is better for PCV. Either one, agreeing with above, will really reduce the amount of oil squirting around especially if you too made the mistake of putting synthetic oil in an oldie ;-)
    ncbkr2002
    ncbkr2002

Post by ncbkr2002 Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:22 pm

update !! when replacing all the gaskets i had a serious brain fart and plugged the hole in the side of the valve cover with one of those rubber expansion plugs and the engine had no way to breath so as soon as i unplugged it and put a new breather tube with a filter it stopped leaking .... like i said ... brain fart . thanks for all the help guys

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:30 am