VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+14
Old Skool
G-Man
busman78
vanny
Big W
Barnabas
66ThunderVan
Twinpilot001
flyinlow
txmarshall65
3onthetree
andrew carter
Lyrad
economan
18 posters

302 or 351w

Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

302 or 351w - Page 3 Empty Re: 302 or 351w

Post by Old Skool Thu May 29, 2014 8:35 am

Good quesiton that leads into a very long thread,,all over again.  It sounding like its time to start it again,,,,,LOL....

That question is old as the trucks are and has been solved a long time ago.  A gazillion threads and posts dating back at least 20 years at the least,,,, LOL.....
      Late for working on orders, answering emails on stuff, etc, etc, etc,,,  so will try to get back to this as soon as I get a break?? LOL...
      It can be handled, it is much easier than building a six cylinder, less heat issues, and cheaper  to do.
     Better power, better gas mileage, easier to drive..... etc, etc, etc, etc,,
    Sorry for running but gotta run

NEED TO ADD before running.
     Overheating happens mostly at stop and go traffic.
    Past threads include updating the alternator to handle the new fan load especially at idle when the stock one is not putting out enough,,pusher fans, puller fans, double pulleys, trans coolers, insulating the fire box and making it worse (dog house),, belly pans and importance, headers gain and suffering,  larger radiators and types,, puller fans versus pushers,,  carb percolation and why and what  to do about it,,,,etc, etc, etc,,

\vic
    FCC
    FCC

Number of posts : 295
    Registration date : 2014-04-29

Post by FCC Thu May 29, 2014 10:20 am

I guess I should have mentioned that it was more of a mental question mark.. I know that these things will be answered with time, as I worm into these forums, via search.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Thu May 29, 2014 12:49 pm

Changing spark plugs has got to suck with a V8.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Thu May 29, 2014 5:02 pm

Changing plugs on mine will require removing both side dog house panels. Then I can sit on a pillow, in the pouring rain, inside my van with a cold beer. Chev 350...Plugs are at floor level. Very Happy   cheers 
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu May 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Big W, you're too Funny!!! One of the "Best" qualities in my opinion is being able to work under cover in bad weather in these vehicles!

@Vic - I have to say that the undercarriage of that van has me drooling big time. It looks better than most exteriors. So, when you have the undercarriage sandblasted so that you can paint it, do you remove "everything" before they do their sandblasting? What exactly is the process? I would love to know how much it takes to get it to look that Fantastic!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Fri May 30, 2014 12:13 am

I do any mods that would burn or create an open exposed piece of metal before I take it in for blasting.
     Now also I insist on taking all the doors off also as I found out the correct way to adjust  the doors is by bending the inner part of the hinge.  More on that later on.
      I don't like the battery box inside the truck on ours and even more so on a pickup. Some things to think about are how many times in a 6 month time period is anyone realistically gong to change a spark plug and how many times do I really, really need access to my battery. There certainly are better ways if its that big of a deal in the 1st place.  Point I am making is that I weld every single little screw hole in the floor, weld up the vent and drain hole under the battery box, weld in the brackets for the battery underneath, mounts for the trans cooler and for widening the doghouse.  In other words anything that will mar or burn up the undercoat paint I put on directly after sand blasting. If you blast and then do any work it will rust before you can get to the painting part.
      No one is ever going to be able to mask and paint and clean and screw around and ever get it as when you intend on doing it from the get go. It took a while for me to realize how much time and money I pissed away by not just biting the bullet and getting it on with... Now I recommend it to all my customers and I will not do any of mine without doing it this way.  No matter what you bolt on after wards it can only look detailed and clean. That's aside also, being able to work on it without scrapping off a quarter inch of grease and krap that's baked on after 50 years of abuse....
      I posted a couple of years ago about the new product that I used on the one in the pictures,, its called "BULLETT" and is "supposedly" better than POR 15??   The sales man telling me that it was designed in two colors for car repair of under carriages. Silver or Black.  Also said that paint stripper would not attack it either?  So, have been using it. Whatever it has in it, the over spray ate into the coating on my glasses and ruined them big time.  So I know its really strong. About $50 bucks a quart though.   Oh well why do it with cheap paint if its not going to last?
    Vic
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri May 30, 2014 2:45 am

Thanks for the info Vic!!!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    FCC
    FCC

Number of posts : 295
    Registration date : 2014-04-29

Post by FCC Fri May 30, 2014 7:39 am

That's one REAL advantage to my vans folding camper seats, I can lay down the fronts and have the perfect place to lean on, with NO seat back in the way.

Big W wrote:Changing plugs on mine will require removing both side dog house panels. Then I can sit on a pillow, in the pouring rain, inside my van with a cold beer. Chev 350...Plugs are at floor level. Very Happy   cheers 

Devo
    Devo

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2014-06-09

Post by Devo Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:56 pm

great thread: I just picked up a stock running '62 Econoline van. in time it will get a V8 and some decent restoration.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:59 pm

Welcome to VV Devo. When you are able, post up some pics, weed love to see it. If that's the van in your avatar, that looks real nice.
    Devo
    Devo

Post by Devo Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:04 pm

not to hijack the thread, but yes, thats my '62!

about 20yrs ago I had a '65 with a 289 and I gave it to my dad. at some point he sold it. I was really bummed out. about 5yrs ago he passed away from bladder cancer.

about 3yrs ago i returned to my old job as a hospital pharmacy tech here in Monterey, Ca.
    2 days ago, I picked up this '62 from a CL ad which was 3hrs old. turned out the owner and my dad have the same name. kind of cool.

I have yet to DMV it, title, etc. it has the original black and gold plates.

here on this website i found an ad for a new set of front brakes, which I will probably pick up if they will ship. i'm excited to do some wrenching, but really I don't have the skill, knowledge, facility to do something like a V8 swap. depending on how deep finances get, I hope to get it hopped up soon.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:45 am

I have installed a few 351W's, and a Cleveland going in a friends right now.  The 351M is a dog and not worth it as well as the Cleveland is designed for Nascar and not the street aside parts being very hard to get. The Cleveland needs RPM'S and not a good pick for the street *IMO..
      A 5.0 and the earlier Windsors all INTERNALLY balanced,,,,,, period,,,,, differences in Mexican block, US.  block and the 5.0 in regards to crank shaft seal, strength, etc, etc,,,,,, 5.0 blocks are roller cam but not as strong as early blocks... blah, blah,,,,  good site is SMALL BLOCK FORD ("+???)a will post link after this,,
      ANYWAYS,, the 351 is TALLER and so creates some issues with breather clearance in the doghouse, even if you do the advised box adding  under the seats.  I have one now that I need to change the breathers over to side type in order to get them to work,,,,
      The Windsor cast iron heads all limited breathing CAPABILITIES and so I have dumped the GT40P heads because of limited header choices and the spark plugs. Had a hard time getting $150 for a brand pair that were like brand new???    LOL Replaced with some high end aluminum heads with all the bells and whistles. 
     In regards to using the 64 C4,, the bell housing is bolted using the pump bolts versus the PAN FILL C4 that has separate bolts from the bell housing to the case. The 64 C4 is a CASE FILL,, same guts.
      You can interchange ANY C4 TAILSTOCK onto ANY C4,,,,  they ALL INTERCHANGE... not hard to do. The 64 C4 using a DONOUT mount tail stock which is weak at its BEST,,, the reason I use an UNDER TRANSMISSION type mount short tail stock and my transmission cross member for the earlies. (earlies are 61 to 64)....  duh,,,.
       I DO HAVE the hard to find 6 bolt bell housing that bolts up to the "PAN FILL" type 4 C4 transmission which will allow you to use the pan fill on a small block V8 or a big six. I also have any Econoline transmissions and all tail stock in stock,,,,,LOL... any one you want I have it,,,,,
      I also make the V8 cross members and a ton of other parts for ours from replacement idiot light lights to disc brakes,,,
    vic
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:54 am

Here is the link to an EXCELLENT forum dedicated to the Ford small blocks,,,  if you cant handle some foul language here and there,, don't bother but all down to earth EXCELLENT information and a good site to really know what you are talking about,,,,, LOL>..
       vic

http://sbftech.com/index.php

302 or 351w - Page 3 100_1110

302 or 351w - Page 3 100_1111

302 or 351w - Page 3 100_1210

302 or 351w - Page 3 Photo510

vic
    Devo
    Devo

Post by Devo Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:20 am

awesome! great info. thank you so much for posting!

i just finished up at DMV and totally amazed/stoked to get the van registered and title on the way!
    1st step: get van
    2nd step: title and registration

in months to come, as the money stacks up, I will definitely be interested in a v8 conversion of some sort.
    economan
    economan

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2013-01-12

Post by economan Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks Vic for all of the great info.
    I will be looking for a AOD trans for my truck and hoping to more done.
    I will post pics soon
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:24 pm

Thnx,,,,   just re read mine and it should have said with the rarer early "CASE FILL" and not "PAN FILL",, sorry.    The old bell housing for a V8 or a big six that does bolt to the "CASE FILL"  my using the pump bolts is the one that I have for sale.
    vic
    economan
    economan

Post by economan Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:50 pm

it been awhile since i have been on here. had to take some time off the pu and take care of some thing.but I'm getting ready to work on the truck again....
    I'm looking at getting a drive shaft. do I need one from the a 65 to 67 240 van or ?
    and I'm guessing i need the gas pedal form the same van Right... thanks
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:49 pm

To get back into yours,, as I understood you were to use an AOD,, and if so you are WAY off base thinking you can use a stock drive shaft......................LOL...... IF you are using a stock Econoline short tail stock C4 transmission then of course you can, however if an AOD its not even in the same planet as it uses a drive shaft that slides in and out of it the same as a car type sliding yoke trans,,,, tell us what you are going to use???? Please???? Which AOD if so, and so on,, IF an AOD you will also need a transmission cross member also,,, If an Econoline C4 it will bolt into any 65 to 67 Econoline,, 230 gas pedal assembly is the easy way to get a throttle cable of which I have also,,,,
    vic
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:51 pm

240 gas pedal,, sorry,,, If an AOD use an AOD drive shaft and have it shortened and use whatever yoke you are going to need depending on what rear end you are going to use?? Its been a long time for this thread and trying to tune into what you are going to do???
    Vic
    economan
    economan

Post by economan Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:12 am

Sorry Vic I should have mentioned that I am staying with the C4 trans with the short tail...
    as soon as I get my tax money I will be looking for parts here in town at the junkyards..
    or on line. i have the trans yoke for the 240 trans and still using the 5.0 t bird eng. thanks
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:24 am

Okay,,,, That changes everything,,, LOL...... I doubt you will find any parts at any of the yards as they have not been coming out very much if at all for a very long time, If so I am usually all over them,,, LOL....... I have V8 throttle cables, 240 throttle cables, steering columns, Econoline short tail stock C4's, drive shafts, V8 conversion engine cross members, transmission cross members, shift rod TO shift cable conversions, re sleeved 67 master cylinders, my disc brake conversion, and a half acre of parts and a stack of drive shafts to choose from in case you cannot find what you are looking for,,,, Ridgecrest isnt that far from Van Nuys,,, especially if you need to,,, LOL
    vic

economan
    economan

Post by economan Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:13 am

thanks Vic.. I will keep you in mind when I need some parts that I cant find..
    here in town I have seen a few van in the yards. so this weekend I will be doing some digging lol
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:25 am

I would never put in a 351W in one of ours again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and certainly NEVER a Cleveland,,,,, The extra height of the 351 causes issues with valve covers hitting the boxes, so on,, a 302 will make that truck go faster than you have the balls for,,,,,why complicate it??????? IMO,,,, the last 351 I did caused all kinds of issues with breathers for the valve covers,,, anything can be figured out,, like air dams to keep you on the ground at 200 mph,,, LOL Never heard of 4:56 gears from the factory in ours??????????? 4:11's yes,,,,, regardless of what it is,, its way too easy to change out a pumpkin and put in what you need,,,,,,

economan
    economan

Post by economan Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:34 am

Hey, Vic, you were right about finding parts. it's harder to find then I thought. so with that in mind, this is some of what I'm looking for. the gas pedal and cable, drive shaft, and maybe the radiator.
    and who has a disc brake conversation that will fit the 61 front axle. for the trans I have the 64 c4 auto that I will have rebuild for the V8... thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:26 pm