VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
scarlin
RodStRace
austinmodhouse
7 posters

removing ignition switch without a key, help

austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

removing ignition switch without a key, help Empty removing ignition switch without a key, help

Post by austinmodhouse Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:35 pm

our 64 falcon DCW came with a universal ignition switch dangling from wires underneath the dash. the original owner had lost the keys years ago.

I ordered a new switch and cylinder, watched a youtube video on how to replace etc. but all the instructions I’ve found assume you have keys… put a wire in the tiny hole, turn to acc position and the cylinder pops right out….

what can I do not having a key? I tried using a wrench to turn the bezel while holding the switch from behind the dash etc… all that seemed to do was scratch up the bezel.

is this where I get the drill out or call a locksmith?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

removing ignition switch without a key, help Empty Re: removing ignition switch without a key, help

Post by RodStRace Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:02 pm

Yes.

The lock cylinder goes into the switch and surrounds the bezel nut. The bezel nut holds the switch to the dash.

Gotta drill out the cylinder if you do not have a key to do the pin/turn...
    scarlin
    scarlin

Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2012-01-26

removing ignition switch without a key, help Empty Re: removing ignition switch without a key, help

Post by scarlin Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:04 pm

If by chance the original ignition matches the door locks, you could take a door lock to a locksmith and have a key made. It might cost a little more but less of a mess.
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:49 pm

unfortunately, the PO lost all keys. I’m thinking about my options… the big bus wheel makes drilling awkward… I could remove the steering wheel first… no options that appeal to me at the moment. I need to replace the starter relay first. it’s back to click click again, but starter will turn over if tapped with jumper cable from posi terminal.

I swear this thing drove when I bought it.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:10 am

I don't know if this will work but might be worth trying for giggles. I misplaced my keys once for my 63 van one time and just for the hell of it, I had one of those very small pocket knives. I stuck the knife into the ignition switch and turned it slowly and much to my surprise, it started the van up. I don't know if the switch was just worn out but it worked. Even if it would just enable you to turn it to the acc position so you could stick the wire in to pop out the old one. I didn't have to force it at all. It just turned easily. Or just call a locksmith (Probably the best solution).

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 am

Try another ford key. A lot of the older ford and chevy switches can easily be opened with some older keys. If the switch is the original one that came in the van I would just about bet that you can find an old ford key that will work in it.
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:19 pm

thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the key from the new lock cylinder yesterday, after liberal lube, it resulted in a slightly bent key…

I think I can get a free locksmith service from my AAA+ membership. I’ll see if I can arrange that soon.
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:22 am

Austin

It might be best if you can take out the lock from the door and bring it to the locksmith. Each lock is coded with a numbering system on the side of the tumblers. A good locksmith should be able to make you a key. I remember
    Vic Old Skool was tinkering with a bunch of locks if you need replacements.

If you have AAA the locksmith will come out to you.

Let me know what happens.

Jim
    Wyowanderer
    Wyowanderer

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2022-05-15

Post by Wyowanderer Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:20 am

Years ago I bought a cheap lock picking set from a local locksmith for picking file cabinets at work as part of my job and using the tension bar and a pick, I was able to get the ignition lock out in a few minutes. The Lock Picking Lawyer on YT has pick sets for sale reasonable.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 2:38 pm