VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

The hunt for a van - the pressure mounts!

NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Number of posts : 726
    Registration date : 2012-09-26

The hunt for a van - the pressure mounts! Empty The hunt for a van - the pressure mounts!

Post by NoBiggie Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:57 pm

So I got a bunch of you asking me in PMs what kind of van I am looking for. Instead of answering it over and over I figured I would just post it out in the open.

I thought this would be easy, look around for a few weeks and find a van. Yikes! I didn't realize how hard it is to choose! How do you ever overcome the feeling that if you buy a van something better is going to show up next week?

That can drive you crazy!affraid

I am looking for a Ford Econoline Custom Panel, back windows only, automatic preferred but not a deal breaker. The more turnkey the better. Money isn't the big issue, just finding the right van.

I wish I had the resources so many of you have. A nice shop, places to paint and work on a van. But I am not a mechanic, though have a friend that is and has a nice shop. So I can't do a lot of work.

I'm a newbie here, and I am sure many before me have been hunting for the same type of van. I am more than happy to work on interior and other stuff, just not a full restoration.

So anyway, as you can see I am hunting them hard and try and post what I can in the for sale section, just haven't found the right one yet. Patience, patience I know. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks for reading the rant! rabbit
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

The hunt for a van - the pressure mounts! Empty Re: The hunt for a van - the pressure mounts!

Post by Space Truckin Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:41 pm

i thought there was a no door ford posted here recently ?
    NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

The hunt for a van - the pressure mounts! Empty Re: The hunt for a van - the pressure mounts!

Post by NoBiggie Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Sorry, doors are fine just didn't want the side windows.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Patience, Grasshopper.It will find you.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:08 am

It will come. It may take a while, but with serious looking, you get a feel for what you really want and it will make it easier to know when the right one shows up.
    As for working conditions, I have a big garage, but it's got no power/water and full of stuff! I work on my 108 out in the dirt driveway. I have to do the "walk of shame" every time I didn't grab the right tool.
    The 8 door I'm doing is in the local college body shop. I simply signed up for a class. Yes I have skills and a bunch of tools from when I was a pro mechanic, but that's why these ol' vans are so cool. The average guy with a little experience can work on them with decent instructions and basic tools. If you have a service manual, a floor jack and stands, a set of wrenches, sockets, pliers and screwdrivers, you can do most of the work or pull the part off (driveshaft, axle, trans etc.) and take it in to a pro for the work to be done. If you are unsure on something, you can ask here and someone will have first hand knowledge of the repair.
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-11-17

Post by Vanadian Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:20 pm

NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Post by NoBiggie Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:59 am

Yeah, that's a great van. I am going for a shorty though. Thanks for the heads up.
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-11-17

Post by Vanadian Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:35 am

I hear ya! It has to be this big cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:12 pm