VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Big W
wirepuller
6 posters

Out of province/country inspection??

wirepuller
    wirepuller

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

Out of province/country inspection?? Empty Out of province/country inspection??

Post by wirepuller Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Here is something for the Canadians who have imported a vehicle into Canada. I plan to heavily modify my van. It is currently not very roadworthy, so I was planning on going straight into modifying it. So my question would be, does it need to be 100% stock for inspection, or can I do all the work to it (4 link, IFS, air bags, body drop) and then get it inspected?

WP
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Out of province/country inspection?? Empty Re: Out of province/country inspection??

Post by Big W Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:37 pm

I'm sure Lyrad will chime in here as he lives in Edmonton and will be able to shine some light on what he had to go through, and what may be exceptable and what's not.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Out of province/country inspection?? Empty Re: Out of province/country inspection??

Post by vanner68 Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:01 pm

IMO- Stock should always pass, modified brings the inspector's 'opinions' into play.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by Lyrad Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:14 pm

What I was told is that it would be easier to have it approved as stock before heavy mods are done, because they have to do a much more thourough inspection for custom work on an out of country van, Once you have it approved as stock then you can hack away. When importing stay away from heavy customized vans with frame work,suspension, chopped etc. I know a guy that bought a custom camaro from the USA that had a special frame on it for racing but he couldnt get it past inspection. He had to take it back state side and sell it. He wasted 5K.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:52 am

the minimum you should do is have it registered "unplated" in your name. this gives you proof that it was registered in canada and in your name. you will no doubt have to pay the outstanding taxes and duty on it but if it gives you a valid registration although unplated as a previously registered in canada vehicle. i arrived home with mine on a sunday nite and was at the DMV office monday morning getting it in my name.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:21 am

There are different levels of government you will need to del with during an import. They don't all play by the same rules.

You need to find out what the rules are at each level and specifically the provintial rules of the arear you intend to lisence the van in. All provinces have thier own rules and those rules don't even all aply to all areas of that same province. Like for example the aircare testing is not required where I live but it does aply 20 kilometers away in Vancouver.

A little warning!! many government people you ask might give you the "Oh ya thats a piece of cake" or " That shouldn't be a problem" during verbal answering of your questions because they don't memorize the rules and don't have all day to be on the phone with you. And then when you go to get the paper work done all of a suden its not "a piece of cake" and youve got to do this and that and bring it over here or there for this inspection or that testing and they won't sign your paper work until your van meets the guide lines.

I have approved the importation of many vehicles of all types as I am a Delegate of the Minister of Transport in Canada and signing on the Ministers behalf for that is part of my delegation.

My only advice I have for you is Do Not! start modifying up your van and do not start spending money on modifications until the importation process is complete with the van licensed in your name or you may find you will have to reverse all your work to get it lisenced for the road.
    Importing a vehicle that has allready been modified is a different proccess and can easily be done "under differnt rules".
    Bringing a vehicle phisically into Canada and then heavily modifying it prior to completion of the importation and lisencing process may render it unecceptable for import and unacceptable for return to the USA.

Get it registered and lisenced into your name first!

M1D
    wirepuller
    wirepuller

Post by wirepuller Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks so much M1!! Alot of useful info and I value yours and others opinion about keeping stock. Kind of sucks, I need to do alot of work to make it roadworthy and then I would be taking all that work/money and throwing it in the garbage. Oh well, price you pay for modifying I guess.

Thanks again!
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:14 pm

Like I said, anything may be possible, maybe you can do what you want in Alberta, Just don't invest your money based on somebodys oppinion.

Start here

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2823.htm

M1d
    wirepuller
    wirepuller

Post by wirepuller Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:35 pm

No problem M1. I generally dont do things without a reasonable amount of research.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by Lyrad Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:21 pm

wirepuller wrote:Thanks so much M1!! Alot of useful info and I value yours and others opinion about keeping stock. Kind of sucks, I need to do alot of work to make it roadworthy and then I would be taking all that work/money and throwing it in the garbage. Oh well, price you pay for modifying I guess.

Thanks again!

Yeah that's what I had to do, but some of the stuff needed to be done anway. Like the new emergency brake assembly I got from M1d. and other stuff like wiring etc. You will figure it out, just have fun.
    wirepuller
    wirepuller

Post by wirepuller Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:09 am

Thanks Lyrad! I will have fun for sure, I cant wait to start tearing into it and working on it!

WP

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:53 pm