VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Twinpilot001
donivan65
RodStRace
Stoopid john
HandiVanMan
dodge man
10 posters

200 lbs on the brake pedal

dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

200 lbs on the brake pedal Empty 200 lbs on the brake pedal

Post by dodge man Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:56 am

i'm tired of putting all my weight on the brakes to get stopped, i addjusted and blead them, so i'm ordering disc brake brackets from scarebird and changing over to disc on the front, will that stop the van? will it stop with minimual foot presure?
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

200 lbs on the brake pedal Empty Re: 200 lbs on the brake pedal

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:17 am

I have had the same problem before & it turn out to be the master cylinder. I have also had problems with the rubber brake hoses going to the wheel cylinder or caliper collapsing & either locking the brakes or causing trouble getting stopped. When it was the rubber hose it was usually only on one side though. If it has power brakes it can also be the brake booster.
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:53 am

The scarebird brackets are great but it will still need a good leg to stop it.

You need to make sure the wheel cylinders are not stuck also. One other thing to think about is if the shoes are real old, they almost get petrified and they don't stop as well.

If you do the front disc swap you'll end up with new front hoses anyway.

I did the drilled and slotted rotors on mine. I'm very happy with it, no fade at all. I'd love to have a power booster on it but i just don't see the room for it.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Your drums should not take that much pressure to stop.
    Something is wrong.
    You can diagnose and repair the current brakes or convert to discs.
    I will mention that the only A I've driven with a disc conversion took MORE pedal pressure to stop. Almost like what you are describing with yours.
    A lot of basic brake math was posted in the other thread you started. I know it's a bother to actually look up specs, find and use the formulas and gain an understanding of HOW brakes work, so I'll just say this; if pedal pressure is a concern and money is at all part of the decision-making process, completely inspect and repair your drum brake system. The only other way is to do a front disc conversion with a disc/drum master and a booster. That is going to take a lot of money, engineering and cutting to fit.
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Post by Stoopid john Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Mine stops easier and better. My wife drives mine all the time so it must not be too bad.

Pull the drums off one at a time and have someone push on the brake pedal. (slowly) Use a screwdriver to hold the front shoe still and watch to see if the rear shoe moves, then switch.

The reality of any old car is that the brakes suck, by today's standard. Installing disc brakes on the front is a better overall plan if you drive it a lot.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:15 pm

thanks guys i checked the cylinders and there fine, i think i'll go with rear shoes,cylinders, brake hose, and disc conversion, that should make it a little easier, i hope, the way it is now if someone pulled out in front of me its all over,
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Post by Stoopid john Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:35 pm

My wife has a '69 corvette that has 4 wheel disc and manual brakes, it stops like my van.

I did the same with my van, did the rear first.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:39 pm

thanks john, i'll do that, i still want disc brakes up front, when i get all done i'll post how it turned out,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:26 pm

Disk brakes need MORE pressure to stop,,,,,,so you you need to find the problem or your problem will be worst,,,,,,the fronts do most of the stopping,,,,,but they can't do it all,,,,maybe try and see how the parking brake stops the vehicle to see how the shoes and drums and adjustment are doing,,,,,you got a hydraulic system and a mechanical system,,,,,like everybody above says,,,,,the shoes need to bite the drums to stop,,,,not be hard as a rock,,,,,make sure you don't have 2 primary shoes on one side and 2 secondary on the other,,,,see if the self adjusters are on the wrong side and loosen up the adjustment when you back up,,,,see if you got the correct width shoes laying in the drums,,,,but see if the parking brake stops the van,,,,it will give you a clue if those shoes are working,,,,you should not be having problems with drums,,,,you could jack up the wheels and turn them while someone slowly steps on the brakes,,,,,see if some work better than the others,,,,,look for differences and go from there to see if something is stuck,,,or not getting enough pressure or out of adjustment,,,,
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:26 am

great points from everyone, and thank you all, i was under the empresion if i switched over to disc brakes it would stop easyer,man you guys saved me a lot of money, i just bought this van and i have noticed theres many things half assed by past owners, i know theres a new master cylinder,brake lines,i blead all the brakes, and spun the tires to see if there was a drag on the brakes but i have not inspected them closely, i'm thinking it would be best to change all shoes,hardware,wheelcylinders,hoses, and make sure the e brake cables are free, this way i know whats what and everything is correct. i know about the smaller shoe going to the front, the larger shoe to the rear, thanks to all you guys, you saved me big time, i would have bought a disc swap and still had problems, when i get it done i'll let you know of the outcome, if i ever get to see any of you, i owe you coffee, a pop, or better yet a beer,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:57 am

[ia Half Rack each will suffice -Thanx!!
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:37 pm

ok on the rack of ribs twinpilot, i found all kinds of problems, the rear wheel cylinders were both froze up, and leaking, you cant blow through the front brake hoses, so i ordered up all new everything that has to do with brakes except master cylinder and rear e brake cables that the last owner replaced, the shoes were all cracked and full of brake fluid, so tomorrow when i get it all back together it should stop without breaking a leg on the pedal, lol
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Post by Stoopid john Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:57 pm

When i did my rear brakes i had an axle seal leaking. Make sure yours are dry or you might be doing the brakes again.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:08 pm

yeah thanks i checked them real close, i couldnt beleve how bad the cylinders were, i took a chisal and hammer and couldnt move the peaces behind the boots,it was rusted that bad,
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Post by Stoopid john Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:17 pm

Flush the brake system good with new fluid.

dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:37 pm

o yeah i have plenty of fluid, thanks for all your help, i realy appreciate it
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Yea this is sounding all to familiar. I could at least brake my rear cyls loose enough to clean them for yard to yard travel (neighbors garage). Also had axle seal leak on driver side mixed in with water and brake fluid. What a friggin mess. Now that I have new everything as well, even stock brakes work nice. But I will also be doing the disc conversion as soon as I can afford it. Glad to here you managed to find all the problems before someone pulled out in front of you and messed it all up. This is probably by far the most important thing that all these vehicles should have NEW before leaving for the road.
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Post by Stoopid john Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:49 pm

We should do a stop test when your done. A quick stop from 40 mph and see how many feet it took. I'll do the same. Use a gps phone so we will be close on speed.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:38 am

sounds like a plan john, i need to wait till the brake shoes seat in, if my part store can got all my parts today, BIG W i was going to do the disc brake change but everyone says its harder to stop without a booster, so i'm just going to stay with stock drums all around,
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:21 am

The kit I have been looking at up here has the booster and complete bracket for everything to fit where it should and comes with a new pedal arm. Problem is the price. $1,400.00-- Now I don't mind spending good money on brakes, I just don't have any for that right now. So I to will leave it stock for now...but yea deffinatly want a booster. Maybe I should put in on my christmas wish list and hope mrs. clause sees it...lol.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:13 am

he he he, i hope mrs. clause remembers me too!!!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:14 pm

dodge man the disc brakes on a 100 vans/ pick ups are disc brakes and not power brakes the van will stop easier and will not pull . even when dodge made the B series van the 1971 thru 1973 had front disc and rear drums they did not have the booster/ only in 1974 did the B series and the booster to give power brakes. I am very happy that I installed front disc. and i'm sure if you talk to any one on this site that did the conversion is happier with them than with out them. my self there is no comparsion...just my 2cents.....

Post by dodge man Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:47 pm

if the disc brakes are just as hard or harder to push on the pedal, all i can see is there would be no fade with disc, i think if your easy on the brake and down shift to 2nd on a hill the drums should be just as good, what did you find that was better with the disc conversion?
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Post by Stoopid john Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:44 pm

No pull at all and shorter stopping distance. I had $363 total in my disc swap.

You've been stopping your van on what 2 maybe 3 wheels and your brake pedal never moved. Fixing your drums will make you happy, doing the discs will make it better.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:00 pm

thank you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content