VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

to buy or not to buy 64 a100

to buy or not to buy 64 a100 Empty to buy or not to buy 64 a100

Post by Guest Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Hey there everybody i have come across a 64 a100 vanup.....the body is solid rockers mint bed corners mint tailgate mint..doors great..all trim pieces there front sheet metal excellent....the biggest problem is the entire floor in the cab needs replacing...all cross members are strong and solid front end tight ...i opened the doors and lift on them the entire truck sort of lifts......ive never seen a truck with such a bad floor and yet is solid..should i run from this truck..or consider it for a project....its a slaant six and an automatic and wht appears to be a hd rear end i havent replaced a floor ...usually im filling rocker panels and the like....any thoughts either way would be appreciated.the asking price is three grand..with an ontario ownership..... thanks rosscoe331
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

to buy or not to buy 64 a100 Empty Re: to buy or not to buy 64 a100

Post by dix Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:15 am

how long has it been for sale?? can you use the floor to get the price reduced. is all the floor supports look good. The floor in any van/truck almost 50 years old from the north is going to need work, is there any other body work done on the truck, when the floor is bad the other locations you already talked about are/were bad as well, the rubber mats they used were very good at holding moisture, any photo's ???? if you can do the fab and welding work then jump in the site can always help.

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:19 am

If the rust on the floor extends into the step like this, you should have some bargaining room.
    to buy or not to buy 64 a100 Rt_frt10
    The front corners are supported by the front valence and the floor metal that extends from the frame out towards the doors.
    to buy or not to buy 64 a100 Frt_va10
    In line with what Dix said, Id double check the rear spring mount areas, especially the back shackle area.

Post by Guest Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:09 am

hey thanks for the responses..the door vaalances r intact...there is no rust thru at all nothing like the pics u sent me tho pitted they havent rusted too far...from the frame rails in and across the entire front to the drivers door is shot..the metal is good from the front sheetmetal down towards the doghouse for about ten inches... the valance or step is intact and savable.....of course i have no pictures it was a stumble accross kinda find....the rear window is gone it looks like the water over the years has entered and eventually rusted the floor....the rockers from the front right to the back are very good..no work is needed at all.....my biggest concern is the back bottom of the cab where the box meets the cab there is some rust thru there but i figure i could fab u a strip and weld it to the new floor anyways...im planning another excursion back to see it.....7 hours round trip tho...i was impressed with the condition of the sheet metal and under neath from the cab back honestly if it wasnt for all the crappy floor i would say she is from the south somewhere..i scraped some of the old undergard and the frame is painted the same colour as the truck itself......sorry for the long post...rosscoe331
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:39 am

If you think it's just basic sheetmetal repair, the condition doesnt sound to bad. It's my personal opinion on the A100 trucks is it's easier to get your money back out of them if the repairs are not horribly out of line in the event you ever wanted to sell. The other thing is the first time you drive one, you'll have a grin on your face for a week,, they are fun!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:04 am

That price seems high for the rot, but I don't know how often you run across them up there.
    It's a shame you are so far away, I've got a perfect donor...
    Since the floor is so structural here, it's going to be a big job.

to buy or not to buy 64 a100 DSCF1557-1

Post by Guest Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:50 am

there few and far between for sure....the price is high but seems the going rate around here..ive had a few econos in my day and i really wanted an a100 for a change...im thinking i am going to go for it...i plan on installing a v8 and stuff also change the master u know the usual stuff and maybe with the floor out it will be easier for me to work on....i have considered buying one from the deep south west but the shipping would be brutal im sure and then the lovely border crossing into canada..id sink alot more than if i just repaired this one......i love that doner picture the floors are so good lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:42 pm