VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+49
66mnecotruck
Vantasia
back2thewoods
Joe Van
Vannin Ken
G-Man
jfox
Dawgboy
BvrWally
RipVanArkie
Rayallen
NipRing
Chevboner
SteelyVan
Wheelie
campin'fool 2
SDEconoTruck
rustybug13
Vantastic
Lyrad
Gothboy
millwright71
kaz
Vanish
texasjohn
wideload
Big W
Leftcoast65
dodge man
chester42
vanny
wylee
BILLS66
kookykrispy
Twinpilot001
whopman
NoBiggie
VANagain
ScottyJones
Digz
austinmodhouse
the_surfing_guy
savage
sandyvan
Space Truckin
dix
64chevy
Nightmoves
donivan65
53 posters

The Surfing Guy's 65

the_surfing_guy
    the_surfing_guy

Number of posts : 409
    Registration date : 2012-08-15

The Surfing Guy's 65 - Page 20 Empty Re: The Surfing Guy's 65

Post by the_surfing_guy Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:14 pm

If there's any bright spot in all of this...I did only pay $500 for the van and NOT the $1500 that Chris was asking!!! I knew I had to have it once I saw it AND that it was going to require a lot of work!

To my own defense...I never claimed to be a mechanic...my only claim is to be a van enthusiast. However, I want it to be known that I do appreciate all the help I've gotten from Don and the rest of the San Diego crew, not to mention the friendships that I have gained from joining Vintage Vans. I have learned a ton and know that as I/we continue to dial this creation in, the learning will continue as well...
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:24 pm

Scott .. Your Doing Great !!!! Just enjoy it ... all of it ...The Good and Bad !!! Have fun with it !!!! Thats all that Counts ......

Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:16 pm

Scott...Your van is turning out awesome. The work getting done is 1st rate in anyone's book. Not having mechanical knowledge is sometimes a good thing. With a teacher like Don doing the teaching, you get to learn it the right way the first time. And the more you all learn as you go, the more you can help out the next person that requires a helping hand. I to enjoy this thread and can't waite to see all these vans lined up at your next event with all the pics.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:22 pm

Scott .. if you Get Board ... or things Get slow .. Take a Ride with Don Over a speed Bump !! LOL ...

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Again!
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:41 pm

the_surfing_guy wrote:If there's any bright spot in all of this...I did only pay $500 for the van and NOT the $1500 that Chris was asking!!!

This whole thing is a bright spot! When I first went to see this van a few months before Scott got it, the previous owner was asking $3300. I told him right off he was dreaming and within a week his ad had dropped to $2200. I went to look at it twice with the owner and probably three stealth drive bys because I really wanted a 1st Gen. But I knew I could never deal with that roof, I had not the skills or the location to do the work. I told Chris that even at $1000 it wouldn't work for me. So what you and Don and the rest of your helpers have done is very cool.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:37 pm

The passenger seat is getting closer to being able to be mounted in the van.

The Surfing Guy's 65 - Page 20 Surfer30

The Surfing Guy's 65 - Page 20 Surfer31
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:51 pm

Custom! Looks good and almost done too! Nice work Don.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:09 pm

So today the wiring from the ignition switch to the ballast resistor and starter solenoid got upgraded,,,,,and,,,,the dash and fuse box wiring is the next to do,,,,,

The Surfing Guy's 65 - Page 20 Surfer32

The Surfing Guy's 65 - Page 20 Surfer33

The Surfing Guy's 65 - Page 20 Surfer34
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:49 am

Don, I have a couple of questions about replacing wiring in these older vehicles.

I am not a mechanic but I am curious about how you would know that the person(s) who previously owned the vehicle hadn't already messed things up so that just replacing individual wires may be just repeating what they've already messed up.

How do you know what gauge wire to use and where they are supposed to "Correctly" go? Would the service manual show all the different areas of the van and how they are supposed to be wired? And, is this something a Non-mechanic should attempt or is this something better left to a pro?

If I'm asking too many questions, please feel free to tell me to back off!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:20 am

The people that come to this site, come here and want to help,,,,thats what we are here for,,,,ask all the questions you want,,,you really need the wiring diagram to to see what each circuit is and where it goes to,,,,,it tells you the wire size and color and what fuse protects it,,,,,a circuit needs power to it, a fuse to protect it, a switch to control it and a piece of equipment that uses the power to do something with it,,,,and that circuit needs to be grounded,,,,,stuff only works if it gets power and that power goes back into the battery through the negative battery cable so it can flow out the positive battery cable and do more work. (the electrons really flow the other way, in case somebody really cares),,,,,but you just take 1 wire at a time,,,,find its power source,,,find its fuse,,,then go on to its switch,,,then to the piece of equipment or lights that it runs,,,,,see that its ground circuit is good,,,,,these vans just had bare minimum wiring put in them and after 40 years, it is in sad condition,,,undersized and the connections are not very good anymore,,,,,some vans, like the 1st Gen Chevy, are a fire waiting to happen,,,,all newer vehicles have fusible links, which melt if any wire shorts out and disconnects that wire from the battery,,,,,,otherwise you wait until the fire goes out,,,,,thats a REAL GOOD thing to have on a van. so,,,,,,,thats some electrical talk for you........
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:38 am

Don, thanks for all the great information. When I do get another one, my main goal is to make it as safe as possible. This is just the kind of info I was looking for. This site and the people who contribute to it is an invaluable asset to those of us who want to keep these treasures running and safe.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:19 am

A guy gots to know his limitations,,,,,,you can't do it all,,,,,all we can do is put out the information and you decide if you can or want to handle it,,,,,when I pulled out that fuse box and called Scott to check it out, he really did not want anything to do with it,,,,,acted like those wires are getting ready to jump out and bite him,,,,,,,he better be getting some heavy gloves on then,,,,,but on that deal there, I unplugged the feed wire from the back of the fuse box and unplugged the other end in the doghouse,,,,so Scotts job is to run a heavier 10 gauge wire between the 2 ends that I disconnected,,,,next is that Pink wire from there to the Ignition switch....
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:20 pm

Excellent electrical write-up, Don! It ain't rocket science, and the electrical diagram shows you the colors, wire guage, and the connections. It's all DC, so you can't get zapped like you can with house electrical. (Okay, there are a couple ways you can get a tingle with a capacitor or spark plug wire...)

Then we could have a whole thread about the proper way to crimp connectors and splice wires and stuff like that.

When I switched to an HEI electronic ignition distributor and got a modern alternator so I could eliminate the external voltage regulator, I nabbed the entire wire loom from under the hood of a newer GM as my starting point, one that had HEI and the 3-wire alternator. Came with the fusible link, and all the wires are the proper colors and guage, with the proper terminals on the ends. I still need to tidy mine up but it was a quick headstart.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:45 pm

I took my van today to check out the engine power and clutch going up this hill,,,,,,and the brakes coming back down,,,,,,,so Scott,,,,,,bring your swimming trunks when you try it........

The Surfing Guy's 65 - Page 20 San_di10

The Surfing Guy's 65 - Page 20 San_di11
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:08 pm

Don, when you test, you Really TEST! Let us know how you make out.
    Scott,you might want to start out with a somewhat smaller hill???

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:18 pm

I got no problems with my van,,,,and probably no sense doing stuff like this,,,,,,Scotts old engine met its violent end going up a hill to his house, so I don't think he cares too much for hills,,,,,,,but he sure likes water......
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Speaking of which, is there a surfboard rack in Glacier Blues future?

the_surfing_guy
    the_surfing_guy

Post by the_surfing_guy Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:16 pm

vanny wrote:Speaking of which, is there a surfboard rack in Glacier Blues future?

Yes, there is...however it will be an interior design. Not quite as "fun", but my boards are only 6' tall (not like the 8-10' boards that are kinda too big to fit inside) AND the sun baking down on it, is not good for the board. Nonetheless, I will past some photos once they are installed....
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:32 pm

I'm thrilled for you Scott! You've got two passions coming together, surfing and vanning. But best of all, you've got some great friends helping you to get there. I tip my hat to you guys for doing sooooo much in soooo little time!

the_surfing_guy
    the_surfing_guy

Post by the_surfing_guy Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:25 am

You speak the truth Vanny! That is why I bought the van in the first place (bringing surfing/early vans together) and why my interest has grown so much since (the forum/friendships)!
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:23 am

All this nice talk makes me wish I had a van of my own to work on! I have renewed my efforts to get my van out of body shop jail. Started pestering the body man again. I'll start dropping in to bolt stuff back on it. He doesn't like me working on it in their shop -- so there's one way to keep that from happening: gimme back my van!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:11 am

VANagain wrote:All this nice talk makes me wish I had a van of my own to work on! I have renewed my efforts to get my van out of body shop jail. Started pestering the body man again. I'll start dropping in to bolt stuff back on it. He doesn't like me working on it in their shop -- so there's one way to keep that from happening: gimme back my van!

,,,,,as day 1851 goes by,,,,,,

The Surfing Guy's 65 - Page 20 Repair16
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:09 am

Just think about how far your van has some since this photo above, Rich. Maybe you need to make up some signs for the release of Rich's van and picket the body shop! I can hear it now...What do we want? We want Rich's Van! When do we want it? NOW!!!

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:14 am

vanny is your name Steven Wright ???

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content