VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
itruns
benwah
texasjohn
sasktrini
G-Man
donivan65
10 posters

Draggin a Van,,,,,,,,

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Draggin a Van,,,,,,,, Empty Draggin a Van,,,,,,,,

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:15 pm

We are World Wide,,,,,so,,,,,lets list how far, from where, to where, we dragged, or had dragged, a van that we bought.. I know WideLoad, Savage, VanAgain, 64chevy and Vanish did it. Lets show the new guys how we get it done,,,,,,and get them motivated to add their name and van to the list.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Draggin a Van,,,,,,,, Empty Re: Draggin a Van,,,,,,,,

Post by G-Man Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:41 pm

For my 69 I drove from Fowlerville MI to Milford IL then back to Fowlerville (11hours) My 64 I had towed (only 37 miles)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:45 pm

,,,,,and lets hear about the Arizona/Canada adventure,,,,,
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:39 pm

I wish I didn't have a story, but when my 64 Ford got stranded in Calgary, about a 7 hour drive from Saskatoon, back in June, I made five round trips (two on Greyhound after the murder) before finally towing it home in October (?), full of engine troubles with the Ford and the 85 Chev I pulled it home with. Wouldn't you know that two days after getting it home, I was able to start it up. I'm not fond of that experience. I'm waiting for the day when I can drive in my 64 down to SF Bay and tailgate at a Niners game! Or do Route 66, or drive to Nats... Don't want to think about dragging anything!

You are right... Enbro is the King!
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Draggin a Van,,,,,,,, Empty draggina a van...

Post by texasjohn Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:15 pm

For those from the old forum you might remember this....the new guys should enjoy it too !!!!

Well after waking up @ 2am and leaving in a 78 ford 4x4 w/ who knows how many miles and a borrowed trailer (tilt bed, need one of these) on an unknown journey, and going through one heck of a snow storm while the trailer brakes decided to lock up at 3:30 am, then missing a cow by 10 feet we finnally made it to our destenation at 7:45 am. At first glance the van look pretty cool, had 1 flat but holds air long enough to load it. The tires are in new condition and the wheels look like they will clean up very well. We put air in the tire and pushed it out of the hole it was in.
    There was no major dents and the paint looked pretty dang good for being so old. The right side fender flare had been hit slightly and a scratch near the accent window. The body flares and and roll pan are all steel and not fiberglass. Not really digging the front end look but we'll see what happens w/ that. Time to look inside..... Shaved door handels. The only wat to get in was through the pass side wing window and pull a coathanger going through the door panel, open that door the crawl over and open the drivers door w/ stock style handel. Then to open the side doors you have to crawl over the motor, between the seats and open from the inside. Everything was there, or at least 85-90% of it other than motor /tranny and the brakes wont pump up. So I Bought it, took about an hour to load it, do the paperwork and smoke a cig. Stopped for breakfast (Steak and eggs and a bite of buyers remorse) then top off both tanks with fuel and start heading back. About half way home the side rear door descides t catch a breath of fresh air a swings open in the wind. No damage resulted thanks to the door strap.....what luck !!!!!!. made it back home and unloaded in just under 12 hours. Hers all the pics that my junky cell phone could get. More to come.
    So.... What motor should i run ??????

Post by Guest Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:15 am

I think the furthest I've driven is about 40 miles....and this is a van with an overheating slant six, with dog box lid open, windows down, shirt off, in the summer.

That was a hot trip.

That van now belongs to Kevin (Kermit) in Ohio. I think he's done the Bakers run. The van is a green A-108 with a white roof and stock wheels.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:37 am

my 65 was a shed in southern A.Z. for about 15 years, didnt quite drag home more like drove home 3000 miles! the only mishaps were minor , speedo broke in P.A. had to change the stater sollonid in Texas. however i went completly through the brake system fuel system ect... and dumped about 800$ in it before attempting the treck home. Worth every penny best two weeks vacation ever and id love to do it again!!! i was allmost deaf when i got home , with the window rolled down and the motor box insulation gone, the roar of the 273 ahhh who needs a radio. couldnt hear the cb by the time i hit West Virginia!
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:10 am

Middle of January last year. Travel 1.5 Hours to look at a van(s) in Crown Point, Indiana. Couple hours to look things over and BS with the seller. Drive back to the shop, go to the bank and rent a trailer. Go back down with brother-in-law, load up the parts van and I drive the good van back with a bad wheel cylinder and a small steering wheel affraid Forgot my I-Pass so I had to creep into the manual toll lanes. Boy did they give me strange looks scratch Did a service call on the way back to help pay for the thing. Cold and no speedo to speak of. Very long day, but I loved every minute of it.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:13 am

Hey Ben:

WHAT DID YOU SAY? SOMETHING ABOUT A RADIO? lol!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:51 am

Will be taking the Van trip from Atlanta, Ga. To Upper Michigan (Marquette) at the end of the month (Jan 26th, 2008) 1245 mile one way with two motorcycles inside and back on the 5th of Feb (empty). Will let you all know how it goes..... " Let's all cross our fingures and pray!" This is going to be an adventure!!!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Draggin a Van,,,,,,,, Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423

Post by wacko Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:31 am

Purchased mine off of Weird Harold. He trailered it up to Bellingham Washington from Oregon after turning around the first time due to snow. I met him there and drove it the rest of the way home and across the border. Great feeling driving it, unfortunately I have a lot of work to do to get it to pass safety inspection and get it legal on the road here but it is coming, one repair at a time...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:01 pm

Good Stories!!!! So the new guys can see that it's not too late to get into owning an Early Van. We go extreme means and sometimes don't use common sense to get them! But who cares? Surely nobody that realizes what a good time an early Van will bring you. You might spend more time working on it than driving it and never get your money back,
    but WHAT A WAY TO GO!!!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:35 pm

donivan65 wrote: We go extreme means and sometimes don't use common sense to get them! But who cares? !!

I always use common sense when towing earlies with my......................................... "84" CJ-7.....
    And it will do 0-Stupid, in about 3 min. Of course when towing any other vehicle with a Jeep, anything over 1mph is stupid!!! bom

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Draggin a Van,,,,,,,, Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Draggin a Van,,,,,,,, Empty a long time ago and far far away.......

Post by jkr Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:18 pm

way out on the LEFT coast is oregon and that is where my story starts, grants pass to be exact ( according to dmv records). my truck was plucked from that area by a mopar lover and car flipper. he lives just outside albany new york and thats where i got it. a friend saw a picture of it in the back of a car at the spring carsile 2001. brought me the phone number that was actually for the car but some investigating and a few more calls around the northeast and i tracked down the guy and had some pics sent. after some phone calls a plan to retrive it was on in early may. side trip to loudon new hampshire for some cup racing and down the road to albany. made a deal loaded it on the dollys and went to town to get a registration but not this time.strange new york laws say no registration for 30 days so i unloaded and packed the dollys back into the truck and headed back to p.e.i. i was not going to the border with just a bill of sale on a piece of paper and my cash in his pocket. i figured the border bears would impound the truck lock me up and sell the tow vehicle to cover my bail or something like that. i did tell him if he got a registration for it to call me and i would think about driving down again but i expected someone else would own it by then. i never thought i would see it again but my phone rang around the first of august and the second 13 hour drive one way was planned and she arrived at her new home on the RIGHT coast on august 9th.cant remember the wifes birthday but when i got my a-100 pu no problem.so heres the condensed version;
    trip to loudon...$$$$$$$
    trip to albany...$$$$$$$
    back home to pei...$$$$$
    trip to albany......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    back home to pei with A on trailer...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    PRICLESS...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:40 pm

Now that's what I mean,,,,,,these vans cause you to throw common sense out the window,,,,no one in their right mind would go through all this for one of those vans except us Vanners,,,,,,,,we need to stick together,,,,,,,,
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:23 am

itruns wrote:Hey Ben:

WHAT DID YOU SAY? SOMETHING ABOUT A RADIO? lol!
    the story doesnt end there, i get home saturday afternoon, monday morning back to the land of safty glasses and earplugs, the guys at the shop really know im crazy now ,i guess normal people on vacation just get a t-shirt or a hat, i got a van! and the iceing on the cake was after lunch my supervisor told me i had to go get my yearly hearing test!!! ill never forget that poor nurses face, me in the little booth looking out the window wearing headfones , clicker in hand......... waiting for the beeps that never come. then came the fun of explaning to the nurse why i cant hear. funny we had a diffrent nurse the following year.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:57 am

my wife drove the ol 68 from Lindsay Ontario canada in the mid 80's after we left college. no problems at all, It stayed in Skagway Alaska back and forth on the White pass till 3 yrs ag We got it shipped back to us last year for here 40th birthday. It wasn't looking quite like we last saw it as some hobo was living in it for 2 years the bush!!, We've stripped her out and hopefull this spring she'll be all back together and were planning a trip from Bancroft, On to Vancouver Island this summer. Hope the lads form a club in Alberta would be a great stop point!! All as i can say she has 85 thousand on her and she still runs like a gem!! more future trips!!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067

Post by sasktrini Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:47 am

Mike, that would be awesome! You're experienced in these long treks... Waterton is the most direct route to Vancouver (Crowsnest Pass hwy 3, not Calgary and Roger's Pass hwy 1)
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:31 pm

Frist trip,Troy & I drove out to Patterson NY(about 600 mi one way) to get the 65 panel from Bob for free in 04. Learned how to Not load the van on trailer. Then in 05?? We drove up to Taz's in Waukegan IL(about 200-250 mi one way) and got a free 65 GMC that got cut up(rusted out frame) Then Troy & I went up to Niles MI with Rick (Vantreese) to get his free Sportvan Custom in Feb when it was 20 and wind chill -25 (BRRRR Still get cold thinking about that trip.) Rick took it to his place in Indy. 3 months later he call says if you want it come get it. So Troy and I head to Indy(130 mi one way) and pull it Woodburn (06??). Then when I'm painting my 64 nodoor in a tent in my driveway in 07. I get a call saying the 65 & 68(Loaded with body panels & doors) from Mark(108 Vanguy) out Sacramento CA are ready to get picked up. About month later they get to the Woodburn IN branch of the Van Ranch. Am I crazy??? Yes Laughing That doesn't count all the trips to the JY, or the 3 van loads of parts I got from Tom Schaner in Danville IN (150 mi one way)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content