VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
kookykrispy
Twinpilot001
Digz
Lazarusvan
8 posters

Uphill running issue with my '64

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Uphill running issue with my '64 - Page 2 Empty Re: Uphill running issue with my '64

Post by kookykrispy Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Back blow that fuel line!! I didn't believe it could work. This was actually an old technique my father suggested. I tried it and it worked. I'm not saying that will fix the problem, but its free and takes 5 minutes to do. Remember to remove the gas cap when doing this and listen for bubbles in the fuel tank and you know you're doing it right. Take big breathes and try not to go dizzy.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Uphill running issue with my '64 - Page 2 Empty Re: Uphill running issue with my '64

Post by Lazarusvan Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:04 pm

I still haven't blown out the fuel lines or conducted any other tests. She did backfire on start up the other day which was the first time that had occured. I also had the van cut off completely after having to make a rapid brake to a complete stop.

Related issues? Why would it cut off after making a rapid brake? Should add that I'm having some issues with it staying running when started and white smoke puffing out after cranking then cutting off.
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:01 am

Good tip about blowing out the fuel line. Have had similiar symptoms tho I don't get up of 55 very often. Will try it as soon as I can. Also, because I did the fuel tank with a home kit, I'm sure some of it is floating around in there hence I have 3 filters, one coming off the tank with a big loop of fuel line so I can remove it when after it gets clogged up, a temporary clear one in the engine compartment so I can watch and the little ceramic one in the carb as my fail safe. Thanks for posting the most probable of the 99 to 147 solutions.
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:25 am

Just found my problem running high rpm. The clear fuel filter I mounted by the carb, temporarily, after fixing my tank always looked near full even running down the road. Engine died about a block from home--whew! Changed it anyway as it was easy to get to and now the van runs like a top. All I'm saying is those cheapo clear filters might be clogged welll before they look so. Got a steel one in there now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 6:49 pm