VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
Vanish
RodStRace
DanTheVanMan
Exto
kookykrispy
Gothboy
itruns
PSS123
12 posters

Best vehicle for a cross county road trip

PSS123
    PSS123

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2012-06-21

Best vehicle for a cross county road trip Empty Best vehicle for a cross county road trip

Post by PSS123 Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:35 pm

Me and a 2 buddies thinking about going on a trip around the country after our graduation and are looking for a good vehicle for the journey. I'm new to vans and cars and want to know your opinions. The vehicle doesn't even need to be a van. It just needs to be under $5000 and be able last a 10,000 mile trip. Any opinions would be helpful.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Best vehicle for a cross county road trip Empty Re: Best vehicle for a cross county road trip

Post by itruns Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Hightop conversion van or even a camper van

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/ctd/3191583873.html

Or if you want to up the voltage:
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/3187888105.html
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Best vehicle for a cross county road trip Empty Re: Best vehicle for a cross county road trip

Post by Gothboy Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:44 pm

I agree (probably for biased reasons lol) but I think a decent van with a decent high top will suit you well. This next bit may sound insulting to some but it's not meant towns I will preface it by saying I prefer the dodges the best but unless you have fair mechanics skill I say go for a Ford, Chevy, or vw. Not that I think the dodges are harder to work on, but in my "opinion" it "seems" Ford, Chevy, and vw parts would be internationally just a little cheaper and easier to find in the event you break down in timbuktoo. Keep in mind I'm no expert tho. It is something else you have to think about tho. -GothY-
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:47 pm

PSS123 wrote:Me and a 2 buddies thinking about going on a trip around the country after our graduation and are looking for a good vehicle for the journey. I'm new to vans and cars and want to know your opinions. The vehicle needs to be a van. It just needs to be under $5000 and be able last a 10,000 mile trip. Any opinions would be helpful.

Fixed cheers

In all seriousness, for $5k, you might be able to buy a decent older class A or class C motorhome for the roadtrip. Having a shower and toilet and ample room for 3 dudes to sleep would be a big plus on a 10,000 mile roadtrip.

Chevy, Ford or Dodge are all good rigs with proven powerplants. I agree with GothBoy about Chevy or Ford being the best, but Dodges can be really good too, as long as they have been well cared for and not abused. Just look for the best condition rig you can afford. You want something very reliable. Having it checked out by a pro mechanic before purchase would probably be a really good idea!

Don't get a VW unless you want to be having to fix it all the time. Everyone I know with a VW bus or van is having to repair it quite often.

Make sure to budget some emergency $$ for possible breakdowns or have someone with a credit card with at least a couple grand limit available (just in case of ??? like a blown transmission or something)

Check tires, brakes, etc. this stuff is important for a big road trip! find someone who is a car guy to go with you if you are not!

Don't be afraid to walk away from a vehicle if it is not exactly what you want. Find something clean and well taken care of.

You'll probably have to look at several POS's until you find 'the one' and even then, figure on at least another $1000 in order to get it road-trip worthy. (oil change, and all other fluids, new brakes/tires if needed, tune up, etc. )

All thAT being said, I put many, many thousands of miles on a 1966 chevy van traveling around the western US in my early 20's... and had good luck with only one major breakdown. The van served me well. I drove it for 10 years until it got totalled. Now I replaced it with 3 vans! haha

Have fun and send us pics of your big adventure. You are so lucky to be young... ENJOY EVERY MOMENT!!!
    Exto
    Exto

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2012-08-01

Post by Exto Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:31 am

I'd look into a van, wagon or a Suburban type of vehicle for a cross country road trip. What are you looking for in the vehicle; good mileage, or a vintage vehicle, or just plain transportation, or ???

One thing to consider with a motorhome: while it is really nice to have a shower and toilet and kitchen handy, you do need to find places to 'unload' every so often.
    PSS123
    PSS123

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2012-06-21

Post by PSS123 Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Exto wrote:I'd look into a van, wagon or a Suburban type of vehicle for a cross country road trip. What are you looking for in the vehicle; good mileage, or a vintage vehicle, or just plain transportation, or ???

One thing to consider with a motorhome: while it is really nice to have a shower and toilet and kitchen handy, you do need to find places to 'unload' every so often.

I'm looking for a "van type" vehicle with around 20+ mpg. I don't think a motorhome is what we're looking for and would be too large and impracticable after the roadtrip.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:37 pm

Cross Country?

"A PLANE"
    lol!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Best vehicle for a cross county road trip Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:06 pm

20 MPG? Maybe a low roof Sprinter diesel, MAYBE...
    I'd say your best bet for roadworthiness, comfort, MPG and cheap buy-in is going to be a van cargo or conversion from the late 80s to mid-90s. They have EFI, overdrive, A/C, and are probably not pushing more than 100-150K miles. Parts are available, and servicing them should be within the common shop's abilities.
    I don't know where you are in ILL, so I just picked an area. Something like this would work... 2300 bucks, save the rest for emergency funds

http://lasalle.craigslist.org/cto/3172536152.html

Best vehicle for a cross county road trip 5N95If5Ga3Ef3Mf3Fec7vf7fe9e71dec7138d
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:18 pm

GREY HOUND !!!!!

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Someone elses!!! Razz

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Best vehicle for a cross county road trip Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Jay 13
    Jay 13

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2011-02-01

Post by Jay 13 Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:08 am

I hate to say it but if you need 20+ MPGs you may have to go to a mini-van. I know alot of people who say they can get 20+ in a full size van however with the A/C on,going over mountains,sitting in city traffic etc.I have never been able to get close to that on average in a full size van.with a $5000 budget you can find a decent one or maybe find a decent full size van for less money and use the savings for gas money.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:16 pm

*shudders* minivans.... I hate minivans.... Lol. But for realsies mang its sounding like a conversion van from the '80s or '90s might be right up your alley, and if you can deal with a little less room... the dreaded minivan...
    -GothY-
    Exto
    Exto

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2012-08-01

Post by Exto Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:08 am

A Chevy Astro / GMC Safari might be a good option for you. I hear people say they get the requisite mpg (and I get into the low 20's with my '91 S10, same drivetrain as the 2wd models, but a different body) and they have the benefit of being an actual miniature van instead of an overgrown front wheel drive hatchback.
    mcfly
    mcfly

Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2008-11-10

Post by mcfly Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Jay 13 wrote:I hate to say it but if you need 20+ MPGs you may have to go to a mini-van. I know alot of people who say they can get 20+ in a full size van however with the A/C on,going over mountains,sitting in city traffic etc.I have never been able to get close to that on average in a full size van.with a $5000 budget you can find a decent one or maybe find a decent full size van for less money and use the savings for gas money.

I have to agree with Jay..5000 budget. AC,MPGs,dependability,comfort and you have a $hit load to pick from.. Also windows,so all get to see this beautiful country..
    Roman
    Roman

Number of posts : 822
    Registration date : 2010-09-10

Post by Roman Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:00 pm

I wouldn't drive anything across the country and back that I paid $5000 for.
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:18 pm

when my kids were little i had a plymouth voyager mini van and drove it on dozens of road trips, it got great gas mileage and was comfortable inside. when we went on a few short run camping trips we would just put out the two rear bench seats. mini-vans have to be the greatest invention of autos for families well other than the first van foward controls and i gotta give credit to corvair vans back in the day.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:00 pm